Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old January 10th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

New venue for CASCA

CASCA will now be offering their cats and kittens for adoption at

ANIMALERIE BABALOU
335 Ranger, in Vaudreuil Dorion

This is a pet supply store and hopefully they will do much better than they did in their old location.

They have many beautiful cats and kittens - all abandoned or stray - for adoption.

CASCA's website is http://pages.videotron.com/loraefar/
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Wasn't that the new home for SOS Miow???
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Not anymore. CASCA is moving in next week and still use Centre Canin du Suroit as well for cats I think. Babalou is mainly for them to get seen by the public regularly. Cats are on a two week rotation I believe.
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Where is SOS going? I know they were very excited about being there.
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM

SOS MIOW - Suspending Operations

When we first were approached by the owner of Animalerie Babalou to house our cats at the store, the owner had offered to clean the cages and feed our cats on a daily basis as her way of donating to the animal rescue cause. She also bought and paid for the beautiful cages and enclosure where they were housed.

Unfortunately, the owner did not foresee how much work it would be for her, alone in the store, to look after the cats, do grooming, and retail selling at the same time and asked us to downsize our numbers. This meant frantically scrambling for foster homes and made me decide to pull out altogether.

SOS MIOW had a big rift last summer and we had to let go one of our most active volunteers. It is this volunteer who has joined up with CASCA that is now going into Animalerie Babalou. At the time we were approach by Babalou, she was very much against the whole idea, but I guess she has changed her mind. I wish her well. I would assume that the new arrangement also has volunteers from CASCA going in every day to clean, feed, socialize with the cats which is something SOS MIOW could not do.

SOS MIOW has been operating since July 2005 with only 2 members (myself and Grace). We have still managed to rescue and place a good number of abandonned and homeless cats, but cannot continue to manage the amount of work we were doing without more volunteers.

I, personally, have just started a new career which demands a lot of my time (I am now working as a Real Estate Agent for Royal LePage in Ile Perrot, QC), and I will no longer be available on weekends for adoption clinics. Our last clinic will be on Saturday, January 14th at Mondou in DDO with only Grace and her husband in attendance. We have 6 cats left to place that are currently in foster homes.

I will continue to keep the website going, but will post the phone numbers of the foster homes under the bios of each cat. We will also continue to offer Courtesy Listings of people's pets that need rehoming (at no charge).

If anyone out there would like to take over the field work of SOS MIOW, I will continue to manage the admin part of the group and the website. We also have a number of items to give away (littler boxes, dishes, bowls, blankets, towels, scratch posts, etc). We also have cages and stuff in a barn in Ile Perrot that we will no longer need (can't get into the barn until the spring).

It's been a rollercoaster of a ride with SOS MIOW - we have been the target of many malicious rumours and have had our share of great triumphs and sorrows. But we have managed to rescue and find homes for over 200 cats/kittens in the year-and-a-half that we have been operating.

I would be very happy to pass the torch onto someone who would like to take up where we will be leaving off .....
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Kudos to you SOS, you should be very proud of the work you have done, placing 200 cats/kittens is no easy task!

It's a shame when fellow rescuers/volunteers berate one another, do they not see that they are in it together, for the love of animals!

I for one commend you on your accomplishments and love and dedication you have shown to your rescue, I know you truly did it out of love.

I would also like to wish you good luck in your new career, and all the best in your future endeavors

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

SOS, I understand the hard work that goes into operating a rescue and I am sorry to hear that you have suspended such a needed service...I wish you luck and all I can say is that once a rescuer always a rescuer. I have a feeling you will be back saving one or two cats along the way...
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
SOS, I understand the hard work that goes into operating a rescue and I am sorry to hear that you have suspended such a needed service...I wish you luck and all I can say is that once a rescuer always a rescuer. I have a feeling you will be back saving one or two cats along the way...
I will always be trying to help people who find strays. I just can't do all the leg-work I was doing before and won't take in any more cats into my home. As 90% of the phone calls we get are for people who have found strays (from as far away as St-Jerome), I will be phasing out the SOS phone number. Like Deb's LR, I will only deal by e-mail. People looking to adopt will be able to contact the foster home directly and adoptions will be carried out by the foster family (they should be able to do their own screening and tell if the cat will be a good match for the potential adoptors).

Just today, I received a call from one of our former volunteers who has been caring for a somewhat tame stray that is around their house all the time. The cat definitely does not want to come inside, so they have fashioned a shelter for it away from the wind/cold. SOS MIOW will be helping with the vet exam and sterilization so that the rescuer can continue to care for the cat outdoors.

Again - if anyone wants to take over the reins and work with Grace, please let me know. The website and e-mail address is already in place and can be a great benefit to someone who wants to get involved.

Old January 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

An exciting new career! Hard work but I think you'll really enjoy it. Your weekends are definitely no longer your own. May you have great success with it. I hope that you are able to find someone to help Grace with the daily grind.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
An exciting new career! Hard work but I think you'll really enjoy it. Your weekends are definitely no longer your own. May you have great success with it. I hope that you are able to find someone to help Grace with the daily grind.
Grace will likely go through "adoption-clinic" withdrawal. She really loves doing them. Perhaps you would consider doing feline adoption clinics for the many kitties that you rescue and could use Grace's expert services ????
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:43 PM

I'm so happy for your new career SOS. Maybe I'm idealistic, but why can't the rescues "associate" and create one big rescue with divisions or branches?

Too bad I'm not a cat person!
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Grace is a brave soul... I find doing adoption clinics like having a tooth extracted. I've been avoiding having one like the plague. I just tramp everyone through my place instead.
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'm so happy for your new career SOS. Maybe I'm idealistic, but why can't the rescues "associate" and create one big rescue with divisions or branches?
Have you not seen the nonsense that goes on between cat rescues??? They don't call us "catty" people for nothing (lol).

In 2004, a fine lady tried to unite all the animal rescue groups to hold a joint adoption clinic over a 2-day period in Pointe Claire under a big tent. Apparently she had to be very stern and threaten to throw out any rescue that started any fighting with another rescue ...... The event was held and no blood was shed, but she told me it was touchy at times.

Although we are all in it to save animals, there are a lot of egos involved - some are very over-inflated and think that no one can do rescue as well as they can. There is a lot of 'cattiness' among both dog and cat rescues - most of which are run by women. Have you ever know women to really get along???

From the first week we were operating, some rescues (which will remain nameless) tried to intimidate us by say that if we didn't do things the way THEY wanted things to be done, that they would ensure that we were closed down PRONTO. This can be very scarey to someone just starting out. We survived the initial flamings and rumour-mongering, but it never really stops.

If you are not 100% pure and clean re issues such as same-day adoptions, in-house screening (?), declawing (horrors!!!!), euthanasia, adopting out before 3 months old, etc., etc., etc., you will be flamed!

I can see the rumours now ..... "SOS MIOW couldn't hack it - had to close down - all volunteers left - they must have been doing something wrong - probably got kicked out of the pet store they were keeping their cats in .... blah blah blah". Someone will actually invent some sort of horrid story about why we are downsizing and everyone will pass on the story with just a bit more embelishment each time it gets told. Within a few weeks, there should be some ridiculous story going around about us being wretched people selling cats to labs or some such nonsense.

..... You are a sweetie, Prin, to suggest a co-op of rescue groups - but it sure won't happen in this lifetime.

Old January 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM

I'm glad I'm still an idealist... Maybe one day.. I mean petfinder is a start, no?
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'm glad I'm still an idealist... Maybe one day.. I mean petfinder is a start, no?
On Petfinder, the groups don't have to deal with each other - only post their rescues for adoption. You will also note that some groups malign others in a 'passive' fashion by saying things like "..... unlike some groups, ABC Rescue does not believe in (whatever) .....".

There is also 1-800-Save-A-Pet which is very much like Petfinder.

But yes, I suppose it is something that all these groups can stand to be on the same site with each other (hee hee).

Old January 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM

CASCA & Animalerie Babalou - NOT A DONE DEAL!

I ran into one of the gals from the Dorion division of CASCA that deals with cats/kittens for adoption. I asked her how it was going at Animalerie Babalou and she was very surprised that the word has gotten around that they are at the store, because nothing has been decided yet (this was as of Friday, January 13th). She said that one of the people from the Rigaud division had visited the store before the holidays and 'discussed' the terms and conditions of POSSIBLY housing the Dorion division's cats there on a 2-week rotation basis, but nothing has been decided and no deal has yet been made for CASCA to house cats at the store.

.... just wanted to set the record straight.