Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am so sorry you and Bomber are going through this. This has been a difficult thread for me to read because I have met Bomber and also because it is so soon after losing my boy. I am praying with all my might that things turn around for him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I am back home and Bomber is staying at the vets. His kidneys are failing and they feel that he needs IV fluids. He is scheduled to stay for 4 days until Saturday. I had a long talk with the vet and simply asked her if she felt he was suffering...Her reply was no he is a sick kitty. That gave me some hope. She also said that she felt the fluids would make him feel a lot better. I didnt want to put him through all of this if he didnt have a chance. She seemed to think he did but again she doesnt have a crystal ball.

His Creatinine level shot up to 1460. The C&S is still not back yet so I dont know about that. I imagine the IV fluids and antibiotics will help with the UIT if it shows what it is. She also said he is showing some pancreas issues but they are dealing with the kidney issues right now.

They tell me I can go and visit him which I will be doing for sure!

I just wish I could stop crying... I do for a second and then start again...thanks for the support guys! your all awesome....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I always go on your post hoping for some good news...I'm glad to hear the vet doesn't feel he's suffering. we are pulling for you Bomber...
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

for you and one for Bomber we are pulling for him
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks so much guys....I know he needs to be there but I am just scared of loosing him...I know its inevitable at some point but I guess I am not ready.

Cpietra & ML I am feeling more hopeful....just hoping that my prayers will be answered...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no . I didn't think kidneys would fail that quickly. Could it be just that he is dehydrated?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes apparently they can go down hill quickly. She indicated his Urea was higher as well but said that may be from being dehydrated. She basically said he has a lot of toxins in his body right now and cant fight them. Alot of other amounts come back higher since he is sick..even the phosphorus counts were quite a bit higher. She did say that his WBC and RBC have gone up and that is good. She mentioned the pancreas and said he has symptoms of pancreatitus but we will wiat to see how he is after the iv. Basically they can treat him quicker and more efficiently than I can by the IV.

Bomber is my scaredy cat so I imagine he is gonna have a rough few days. Hopefully it will cheer him up a bit when I go visit.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Bless your boy, Winston. I hope the IV is helpful and he can regain his strength quickly.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Doggie Wench

More prayers being sent your and Bomber's way, Cindy . Hoping tomorrow will bring a turn-around for him and he'll be on his way to a complete recovery with the right treatments .
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Live well, laugh often

Prayers and good thoughts from my gang for Bomber. Hopefully the fluids will flush things along and then you can get him stable .

Hugs to you Winston. .
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending lots of for Bomber today and a huge for you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you everyone....I am hanging in there! Have a huge headache and my eyes are killing me! but I am hoping to hear some good news today......thank you all so much for your good vibes and thoughts!

I think Tabitha has figured out Bomber is not there! she spent the night yodelling for him...god it broke my heart!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; July 8th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I was hoping he would be able to stay homebut since he is very sick,he's better where he is...even if he hates it.
I can so understand your tears,just let them flow,I cry and don't even know Bomber..
I am for a miraculous full recovery for your little boy.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you Chico..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boy today.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I just checked on Bomber and the vet spoke to me. She said Bomber is hooked up to the IV and is receiving a high dose of antibiotics. He ate about 1/4 of the food they left him overnight so that is a good sign. She did indicate it is still very much touch and go and a waiting game to see if he is gonna respond to the treatment. She asked me if I could come visit him because she always feels that the cat does much better when they see a familiar face. I asked her if he was hiding in his carrier and she said no he is just sitting there watching them all work. She said they brought him down to the area they work in to give him some TLC....( I love this new vet already)

She is concerned about one thing and that is that she thinks that he still may have the UTI because the Clavamox wasnt really working but she thinks he may have a form of ecoli in the pancreas?? again she said we will deal with that once she has the C&S back from the lab.

So I am going for a visit after work today and I cant wait to give my boy a big kiss! Thanks for everyone's support and prayers and lets hope each day he gets better and can come home on Saturday!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

That's wonderful that he ate. Hopefully the IV will help. Maybe he was really dehydrated.

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Well I just checked on Bomber and the vet spoke to me. She said Bomber is hooked up to the IV and is receiving a high dose of antibiotics. He ate about 1/4 of the food they left him overnight so that is a good sign. She did indicate it is still very much touch and go and a waiting game to see if he is gonna respond to the treatment. She asked me if I could come visit him because she always feels that the cat does much better when they see a familiar face. I asked her if he was hiding in his carrier and she said no he is just sitting there watching them all work. She said they brought him down to the area they work in to give him some TLC....( I love this new vet already)

She is concerned about one thing and that is that she thinks that he still may have the UTI because the Clavamox wasnt really working but she thinks he may have a form of ecoli in the pancreas?? again she said we will deal with that once she has the C&S back from the lab.

So I am going for a visit after work today and I cant wait to give my boy a big kiss! Thanks for everyone's support and prayers and lets hope each day he gets better and can come home on Saturday!
That is a great sign . Getting him flushed out will help so much with him feeling better.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

from all of us at the cpietra household...pass it on please...
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
-

Lots of 's going out for Bomber Winston and 's for you.
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I am happy he is doing a little better we are still keeping him in our thoughts. I think all the good thoughts going his way are helping.
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I've been following this thread and my heart is breaking for you guys and for poor Bomber. I sure hope they can get him on the rights soon and that he makes a full and speedy recovery. I agree he's probably best where he is, although I'm sure he's not very pleased about it. Poor Tabitha, they sure do miss their buddies when things aren't right don't they. Sure, they're "just cats". Hah! They're more human than a lot of humans I know. Prayers for a quick fix and strength for you all (and a lottery win maybe??).
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I stopped in to visit Bomber and I have to say it just devastated me even more! He gave me a little wimper when I said hello! he is not too happy to be there! he has a taped up front leg as if it was broken so he couldnt move really. He tried to get up but had trouble coordinating his new big paw....

They have been giving him syringe feedings and he is taking them well she said. He did eat a bit of dry this morning. She said he has been a really good boy for them. He did a bit of meowing at me when I was there but after a few minutes he stared at the wall and wouldnt look at me..... The trust we had for 14 years is most certainly gone now. We have this special bond and he really only trusts me....or did??

The C&S is back and she said it is negative?? So the antibiotics he was on (clavamox) from the old vet must have been working. She thought it would come back with ecoli but it didnt. I asked her what she thought about how he may be doing and she said he seems okay but the bloodwork needs to be repeated after the IV so they can see if there is any improvement in his kidney function. She may try to check his blood tomorrow. Then she ever so kindly said that I may have to make some decisions depending on its outcome.

My heart is broken...and I dont know if I can make that decision...

One thing I am questioning now is whether it is the Fortekor that made his kidneys have this problem because obviously the clavamox was working for the UTI and that would have been the origional reason for him urinating outside the box....I am going to ask the new vet what she thinks?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston so sorry to hear that your visit was so hard on you. Of course it would be. I'm sure in his heart Bomber still loves and trusts you - and in your heart you know this too. Again, you're in my prayers.
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Winston,I am so sorry
I was going to say when you said you are visiting him,that it probably will be a heartbreaker to see him,but I am sure you needed to,our kitties just don't understand unfortunately.
Of course he still loves you,he just does not like the strange environment he's in,the strange people that are touching himprobably just wants out of there,I know my cats would.
I don't know what to say,I just wish I could help,wish Bomber was doing good and could come home to the family he loves.
Did the vet give you any idea of what Bombers chances are?
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well I stopped in to visit Bomber and I have to say it just devastated me even more!
Oh sweetie, I so understand this . When Aztec was critically ill from diabetic ketoacidosis, he had to spend a week in the 24hr emergency clinic. I would visit him twice a day, and it broke my heart to see him there cause he was so scared. He would try to climb into my arms as soon as he saw me.

Quote:
The trust we had for 14 years is most certainly gone now. We have this special bond and he really only trusts me....or did??
It's still there, I promise. He's just a little overwhelmed right now. When you are visiting him, try to project calm thoughts and visualize him happy and healthy again. Kitties are so sensitive to our emotions that I think it's really beneficial if we can be strong for them when they're sick.

Quote:
One thing I am questioning now is whether it is the Fortekor that made his kidneys have this problem
I don't know enough about Fortekor to comment, but make sure you tell the vet that Bomber was taking Metacam for a little while, as per the previous vet. I personally think that might be a bigger factor.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry this is happening to Bomber and you but I still am being an optimist, that things are going to turn around
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you feel so bad after your visit. I still feel Bomber will come through this.

Old July 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

It's still there, I promise. He's just a little overwhelmed right now. When you are visiting him, try to project calm thoughts and visualize him happy and healthy again. Kitties are so sensitive to our emotions that I think it's really beneficial if we can be strong for them when they're sick.

Absolutely, the vet had us come to visit Puddles when she was in the hospital for a few days, hooked up to IV, and he asked us to behave as we normally would be around her.

I don't know enough about Fortekor to comment, but make sure you tell the vet that Bomber was taking Metacam for a little while, as per the previous vet. I personally think that might be a bigger factor.
I hope if it is metacam, the kidney function will return

to you Winston.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, th etruat will always be there. Bomber knows what you are doing , you are doing for his own good...don't doubt yourself. for the best.