Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Oksana is constipated

I was cleaning the upstairs litter earlier and Oksana got in. I heard her pee, but she sat there crouched for a good long while. I sort of thought she might have been trying to poop, but nothing happaned. Then she did the same when I came downstairs to clean the bottom boxes. Just now I saw her in the kitchen litter box, just crouching like she wanted to poop but nothing was coming out.

Is butternut squash or pumpkin the thing to give her? Their usual vet is on this week, so I may make an appointment for her on Friday, in case maybe she's got something going on.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have any low-sodium canned salmon? Aztec has occasional bouts of constipation and I find the juice from a can of salmon helps (you can mix it with a bit of warm water).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

No, I don't have any. I can certainly get some tomorrow. I'll have to go to Whole Foods, because I know my regular market doesn't have low sodium. Would yogurt help as well?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Would yogurt help as well?
I doubt it would hurt, but I can't say whether it would help or not. If you know Oksana has no dairy issues, you could offer small amounts and see what happens. Plain goat yogurt can sometimes be better tolerated than cow.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm going to call in to the vet to see if I can get her in this evening. I woke up and found some brown watery stuff with little pellets on the bathroom floor. Then she was sitting in the litter again with just watery stuff coming out. I have to call after 7.

She's acting normally otherwise. She had breakfast, came upstairs, hung out like she does every morning. So, I'm not worried about anything other than some maybe tummy or poopy issues. Hopefully, that's all it is.

I did have to mix their food last week with some Fancy Feast, because I didn't have enough until I got paid. So, I'm thinking maybe that caused something screwy in her belly.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oskana feels better real soon. It sucks when our babies don't feel well.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks 14+. I thought about bringing her with me to work, but that would just be more stress for her. I hate seeing her just sitting there in the litter and knowing nothing is going on. She went like 3 times before I left and really didn't do anything.

I got an appointment for her tonight at 7pm, and I'm going to try and leave early so I can see how she's doing. Thankfully their usual vet is on this week.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwwww, poor Oksana . I don't have any suggestions for you, either, because usually I have the opposite problem.

Sending some for her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks L4H. I hate being at work knowing she's not feeling well. Not that I'd be able to do much for her if I was home, but at least I'd be there.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh I hope her tummy is ok.

Windy has a very sensitive belly, every time I make a slight change to the food she gets gas and the runs... maybe Oksana's belly didn't like the FF...

I bought this probiotic shake stuff you put on their food that is supposed to help with digestive issues too, seemed to help Windy during food changes. I think it was made by Eagle Pack holistic.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm hoping that's just what it is. I was giving them some probiotics, but I ran out and just didn't have the $ to get more. I should though, I don't like seeing any of them like this.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw, poor Oksana :sad: Hopefully there will be a quick and easy fix and she will be back to normal soon

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Aw, poor Oksana :sad: Hopefully there will be a quick and easy fix and she will be back to normal soon
I hope so too. It's so frustrating not being able to just ask them what they are feeling. :sad:

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got back from the vet. Right now, we're treating her for a UTI. I got some antibiotics to give her once a day for 7 days. Man, it's hard giving her meds. I had to grind the pill mix it with water and use a syringe. I got most of it on myself, but I managed to get a little in her.

If she's not better by Thursday, I take her back so they can do a urinalysis. Hopefully she'll be better by tomorrow.

Old November 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw AG I hope she will be better too Have you got them back on their regular food too? Hopefully that will make a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:05 AM
-

Aww, poor Oksana.

I hope the antibiotics help and she's back to her normal self again quickly.
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I gave her medication this morning, no easy feat! I did manage to give her a good bit of it, so I'm hoping it will begin working and she'll be better by the time I get home.

I made an appointment for her tomorrow, because the vet said we can also do a urinalysis. I'm going to call and see how much it is. I hate that I have to look at the $$, but if it's too much, I may have to wait until next week when I get paid.

I'm also going to start watering down her food a bit more as well as start looking around for some supplement I can add to their food to help with urinary tract.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OK so I am confused, was she trying to poop or pee .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Pee. I was thinking at first she was constipated, because she kept going into the litter. Then I realized she was crouched in her peeing position, and not trying to poop. And when she would go into the litter, she just trickles.

I just hung up with the vets office. I'm going to drop her off tomorrow morning, so they can get a sample of her pee and then do a urinalysis. Thankfully it's not as much as I thought, so I'm just going to have it done so I can be sure she doesn't have anything serious. I had already made an appointment for tomorrow evening for her, so I can pick her up then and talk to her vet.

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for Oksana! the meds will get her back on track.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Hazel. I hate seeing her constantly going into the litter box. She doesn't show it, but I imagine she must be feeling discomfort. :sad:

Old November 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi ancientgirl,

I don't know if this will help, but, I have given my dog mashed up - all natural (NO salt, sugar, butters, oils, grains, etc), pumpkin/squash mixed in with her regular food. Not only does she love the taste, but it seems to help with her bowl elimination.

I couldn't say for certain whether this will help your kitty, but it might be a gentler, tastier alternative to other colonics...

Good Luck!

PS. Psyillium (on its own), is another product that is intended to aid in relieving constipation. You should be able to find this at a health food store
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
-

Good luck with the urinalysis ...hope it's nothing serious.
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Friend2animals - thanks for the tip. She didn't turn out to be constipated though. We think she's got a UTI, so she's on meds now.

Rainbow - Thanks. I hope it's nothing serious either. Just one of those things that happen.

Of all my cats, Oksana is the one I can say I really never see drinking water. Czarina I see all the time, she drinks like a fish. She loves water. Maks and Kiska I also see now and then at the water bowl. Vlad will drink now and then from the sink, but I can't even remember the last time I saw Oksana drink water.

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor Oskana. Let's hope the meds kick in quickly.
After I pill a kitty I take a syringe filled with water and dribble a bit in the side of their mouth. Not a lot but enough to help the pill go down. I wonder if you could do that with Oskana on a regular basis to make sure she has some fluids.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You should see a difference in her in just a day of being on the antibiotics.

Good luck with the urinalysis.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Now, I'm freaked out!

So I get home, and getting their dinner ready, and she goes into the litter box again. I turn around and noticed she did a little trickle, and the litter looks pink! I'm taking her to the vet tonight. I called them and her vet gets in at 6:30, and the girl at the desk said she'd get me in.

I'm so scared she's got something terrible. The only thing that's keeping me from going crazy is she's eating well and acting her usual self. :sad:

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, take her to the vet right away, just incase it is a blockage.

Good luck

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of blockage could it be?

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww AG,so sorry,hopefully Oksana will be fine.
I could be wrong,but isn't it common a cat has blood in the urine if she has UTI
I think 14+suggestion is a good one,if Oksana does not drink water.
Good Luck tonight,I'll be thinking of you and the little girlie