Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
chronically insane.

Foster kitten, runt of litter having issues

First off, hiiii everyone!

I have a litter of 6 foster kittens and their mom Maddie. 5 of the kittens have been perfectly fine and well, but the runt of the litter who I call Timmy has been having issues from day one. He is alot smaller and his face is just small with a big forehead. He's been back to see the shelter vet 2 times but since he is so small and has no actual symptoms of anything there isn't anything we can do right now.

He seems to have trouble eating his food... spits up after he eats fairly often. He also was having a problem with just randomly choking out of nowhere. We thought we were going to loose him the one night when he spit up blood. There are no signs of an obstruction although the vet said his throat was a bit swollen. My tech friend also felt it leaning towards one side at one point.

I have no idea what is going on with this kitten. He's fine one minute then the next he crashes. I've been doing everything I possibly can and there seems to be no apparent reason for his strange behavior.

He's slowly starting to loose the use of his back legs. I am now fearing the worst. They have all been FIV/FeLV tested and the mom is in half decent shape for being a stray mom brought in with a big litter.. I've had them since aprx. May 20th when they were 1-2 weeks old. They are growing bigger and stronger everyday but poor little timmy just seems to be taking a turn for the worst.

I'm taking him to see a different vet I am friends with who has over 20 years experience in shelter medicine and is a super great vet.. the other vet was also a great vet but not AS involved with taking strange cases.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been supplementing with nutrical, KMR, lots and lots of canned food and force feeding him but now he's not even running over to great me.. he just kinda stares blankly and his legs are kinda like jello now.

I already have a pre-approved family who wants to adopt him because he was interesting to them, but that was before he started getting really sickly.

I'm clueless I think it's going to come down to he makes it somehow or we put him down...

that's him...

here is his twin jimmy

you can pretty much see the difference in just the size and how they look... the rest of the litter is about 1lb 12oz and he is barely 1lb 3oz.. and with kittens thats a big difference.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww kathryn. I am so sorry you are having problems with your Timmy. He looks quite the little angel. I wish I could help but I think it's a vet's call. It doesn't sound like the little guy has much hope. :sad:
Thank you for fostering this family. And nice to see you. Good luck with Timmy.
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Kitty pimp

hi no answeres here just some good wishes
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So nice to hear from you again Kathryn.

I don't have any suggestions to help you out, though. Is he pooping ok? How is his weight gain?

Luvmylabs fosters a lot of litters, you may want to PM her and ask her if she has any ideas.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'm a softy

oh the poor baby,

First when you said twin, it made me think perhaps that could be it, but I see some white on the paw of the other, so I doubt that is the prob.

It sounds nerological. Was anyone there when he was born? If I had to guess, I would say perhaps he was the first born to a new mother, it would be great if you knew if she has had other litters, how old is she? If he as born first, or presented in a weird position it could have cut off oxygen and squeezed his head too much, resulting in some damage, I would not focus on his throat, I would start thinking nero issues..

And that is sad, there is not usually much that can be done for a little guy like that, and I don't know how far your rescue would go in treating him anyway.

He is a lovely little guy, and it could be so so many things, who knows what happened to them in momma, and for the first while.

Good luck with the little beauty! I will be thinking about him, I have a thing for those little red babies! please update us!
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm a softy

heehe, L4H, thanks! but I don't really know that much.. the <3 thingy at the end my my name is a heart if you look sideways...
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
Sorry to hear about poor Timmy. Is he eating wet food? Maybe some chicken baby food with water added will help him be able to swallow. Could u put his dish up on something to raise it up a bit? I know he's tiny but Maybe on a tuna can?

I sure hope the vet can tell u what is the matter with him and fix him.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
chronically insane.

His history is not entirely too clear. I picked him up from the local county shelter with the rest of the litter and the mom. The thing is he and Jimmy could possibly be from a different litter. They get in ALOT of cats over there and as long as everyone is combo tested negative they will mix and match to add like bottle babies to moms who already have litters and things like that. They think that's where Jimmy and Timmy (i named them both) came from. The rest of the litter are two buff/tan tabbies and two black cats. The mom is a tortie and maybe 2 years old or so.

Since his history is unknown the best they know is he likely came in as an orphan with his brother and since they were both healthy and felv fiv negative they were put with the other litter to make more space.

He's sitting next to me now kinda just like durrrrr. I don't mean to be mean but I mean within the first week of having him I brought him back to the shelter to say "I think my kitten has down syndrome"..

we've reverted back to bottle feeding him. He can't eat dry food not even the little tiny kitten kibbles. He just chokes. He's having a hard time eating the canned food on his own at all so we've been syringe feeding now.

The 3 kitten foods I've been using are Triumph brand (it's not the best but it was a cheap choice for when they first started eating and wasted half the food anyways)... chicken soup kitten formula and now I just got a case of wellness kitten food.

He's just so lethargic and clueless at this point. He has SOME awareness and tends to perk up after you syringe feed him KMR mixed with the kitten food and you toss him a soft toy he was play with it a bit. It's just kinda sad and pathetic.

Is there any explanation for a kitten basically presenting kinda autism/down syndrome type symptoms?
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,nice to hear from you again,little Timmy me just about brought me to tears,poor little boy:sad:
I have no experience with such small kittens,I just hope he will be ok
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

He could be lethargic because he is not getting enough food. He doesn't have a cleft pallet so eating is hard?

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
chronically insane.

Sorry for the delay in an update. Things aren't looking too good for timmy. My vet friend Adam did some research for me and suggested it could be megaesophagus. My mom is sooo attached to him and is crying over him now. Not sure what to do! Hoping to get him in for a full workup on blood and xrays and stuff.. just trying to figure out how to work this...

thanks for the support :sad:
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thank you for caring enough to try to help him kathryn. I know how tough it is. Hang in there. If Timmy is meant to be I am sure you will find a way to make it happen.
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry,sweet little Timmy can be treated,every little life counts
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Please keep up posted. and I am keeping my fingers crossed for Timmy.

ACO22
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
chronically insane.

as much as i hate using it, the canned A/D is the only thing he keeping down. earlier today he apparently had another choking fit and goop came out his nose and mouth. i wasn't home but my mom was and she got really upset. then later she tried to feed him some canned wellness and he ate it, but vomited it back up a few minutes later.

she gave him some A/D the shelter gave me and he kept it down enough that he got some spunk in him and now is running around my room (in a wobbly sort of pathetic way) and is playing with his siblings and having a ball. that's what is so horrible about it is seeing him go from this adorable silly little kitten and then just crashing into this half dead kitty that's foaming at the mouth and is too afraid to breath let alone eat.

If it comes to the point where he is sick more then he is better I think the kindest thing to do would to be humanely euthanize him. Until then we just need to find a game plan where we can find out what is wrong with him and in the mean time make him comfortable.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

It's breaking my heart to read this thread. :sad: Having a Timmy myself who had his own issues last year when he was born I know how difficult it can be. But he wasn't as bad as your Timmy sounds like. I hope you can get some answers soon from a vet.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

awww kathryn...i am go to see you here..but sad it had to be under these circumstances :sad:

poor timmy , poor u

You are doing the best you can....we will add our prayers for the little guy

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,at this point,I would feed him whatever he eats and keeps down,,after all,it is a questionof life or death for this little sweetie:sad:
that he will pull through this
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn, what a handsome and sweet little guy. I pray he is able to beat this. I'd give him whatever he could keep down. It's not fair such a little kitty should have such a difficult time.

Please keep us updated.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww Kathryn, I am so sorry. These little guys are such fighters, I hope you can get him through this

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Did u try putting his food on a dish or saucer an inch higher than the floor? And Just giving him a teaspoon at a time, say like every 30 minutes?

There is also this stuff I got from the vet when Willie was really sick and throwing up a lot and not eating. I can't remember the name of it, but it comes in a tube from the vet and it is to put weight on sick cats.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm a softy

Good luck with kitty.

How old is he? Would it be better for him to stay at the shelter now so the shelter vet and staff can keep an eye on him, willhe be back at the vet soon?

he is so cute, I am really pulling for you guys! I have been through this so many times, I really understand! Good luck little Timmy, we are pulling for you!
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Did u try putting his food on a dish or saucer an inch higher than the floor? And Just giving him a teaspoon at a time, say like every 30 minutes?

There is also this stuff I got from the vet when Willie was really sick and throwing up a lot and not eating. I can't remember the name of it, but it comes in a tube from the vet and it is to put weight on sick cats.

Debbie
My vet friend did suggest that.. I've been trying to and also feeding him with the syringe so it goes straight down... also I have been using the Nutri-Cal which is likely what you are thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Good luck with kitty.

How old is he? Would it be better for him to stay at the shelter now so the shelter vet and staff can keep an eye on him, willhe be back at the vet soon?

he is so cute, I am really pulling for you guys! I have been through this so many times, I really understand! Good luck little Timmy, we are pulling for you!

He is about 9-10 weeks old. Still not growing and no, he can't go back to the shelter. It's a county shelter with limited resources. I mean we do have a vet and everything .. there is absolutely no room there though and he would likely just get sicker there and die from stress or catching a URI.

I'm taking the whole litter in Wednesday to be evaluated and get fixed and their vaccines and everything. Timmy of course can't be fixed but he's just being checked out and so we can compare him to the rest of the litter.
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish Timmy the best of luck. I hope you and the vet can do something to help him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I'm a softy

aww, I hope the vet can do something, hopefully something will show up on the tests!!
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
My vet friend did suggest that.. I've been trying to and also feeding him with the syringe so it goes straight down... also I have been using the Nutri-Cal which is likely what you are thinking of.

I'm taking the whole litter in Wednesday to be evaluated and get fixed and their vaccines and everything. Timmy of course can't be fixed but he's just being checked out and so we can compare him to the rest of the litter.
Yes, Nutri Cal was what I was trying to think of.

I hope the vet can find out what is wrong with Timmy and fix it. Poor little sweetie.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
chronically insane.

Just wanted to let everyone know i'm taking the whole litter in tomorrow to be evaluated and get fixed/vaccinated if applicable. Timmy will be getting some blood drawn if he is strong enough for us to get a proper sample. Hoping to get him in for some chest x-rays as well.

Thanks for the support. Will update sometime tomorrow or the next day on his condition. He vomited again today after eating and was foaming at the mouth and was lethargic for several hours. He's feeling well enough now to run around the room so I still don't know what to do with him..

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:40 AM

awww that pic is adorable

for the whole litter & an extra for Timmy

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending some for the litter today and an extra for Timmy. I hope the xrays will give the vet a better idea of what is happening.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope they can figure out what's wrong with Timmy so they can help him.