Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM

2 year old neutered male cat is urinating on our dogs beds

If we move the beds he urinates elsewhere and never in the litter box. He isn't spraying he is squatting and peeing. Does anyone know why he could be doing this?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

CM,first you should take him to his vet,maybe he has a urinary problem..if not,maybe it's something with his litter?
Did he use the box before?
Is it cleaned regularly?

Did you have the cat before the dog?
Do they get along? Sometimes a cat will show his displeasure,if something changes in his life,like a move or a dog,by peeing where he's not supposed to.

I always say,cats do things lie this for a reason,it's up to us to figure out why
Someone else will probably come along with more suggestions,so please stick around..
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
CM,first you should take him to his vet,maybe he has a urinary problem..if not,maybe it's something with his litter?
Did he use the box before?
Is it cleaned regularly?

Did you have the cat before the dog?
Do they get along? Sometimes a cat will show his displeasure,if something changes in his life,like a move or a dog,by peeing where he's not supposed to.

I always say,cats do things lie this for a reason,it's up to us to figure out why
Someone else will probably come along with more suggestions,so please stick around..

Just to add a bit. If he has a UTI he could be associating the pain of peeing with his litter box. He will avoid it and find whatever is lying on the floor to relieve himself. He needs to see the vet asap.
As chico said - Is it cleaned daily? Some cats just don't like using a dirty box. Is it big enough for him? Cats like room to move around in their boxes. I use storage boxes for mine.
Have you changed the brand of litter lately? Some cats do not like even that much change. If you did may I suggest you go back to the one you were using before. If you want to change it then do a gradual change.
Also, what does he eat? Believe it or not diet does affect behaviour.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM

His diet hasn't changed the beds he pees on are located near the door, he tries to get outside but we don't let him. This has been going on for months now and are other cat has worms, could that be a factor? [he is being treated]

Is it possible that he is angry and with us for keeping him inside so he is relieving himself near the door?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
sempervivum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesMomma View Post
His diet hasn't changed the beds he pees on are located near the door, he tries to get outside but we don't let him. This has been going on for months now and are other cat has worms, could that be a factor? [he is being treated]

Is it possible that he is angry and with us for keeping him inside so he is relieving himself near the door?

nope! Cats aren't spiteful, they love us...what is VERY likely is hes associating the litter box with pain (UTI's hurt!) and is going in other places because he doesn't understand where the pain is coming from.

Personally, when a cat does this (on beds, by doors etc), I see it as the cat trying to draw your attention to a problem hes having, but doesn't know how else to tell you. Not that hes trying to get back at you. Does that makes sense?

Anyway, UTI and other similar problems are super common, and really easy to rule out...I'd take him into the vet

If it does turn out to be a UTI, feeding more canned food, plus water fountain type bowls will encourage the cat to drink more water, which can help prevent this problem
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks so much. We'll give him extra water and get him into the vet asap.
:]
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesMomma View Post
Thanks so much. We'll give him extra water and get him into the vet asap.
:]
To make it easier on you and to ensure he is getting extra water you can add it to his canned food as well. Please do not add it to dry food as it can start to grow fungus within 20 minutes.
Thanks for getting him to the vet.
Just as an aside - you said your other kitty had parasites it is being treated for? Chances are if they share a box or are in the same vicinity this one does too. It wouldn't hurt if you take a sample along to the vet to check.
Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!