Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Smile New to the board and need some info

Hi everyone:

I came across the board this morning while looking for some info, perhaps someone can help me here.

This seems like a very informative board and I have alot of reading to do. On with my question.

Does anyone know of any chihuahua breeders in Montreal, QC? I am looking specifically for a female, short hair.

Also, I have a 2 1/2 yr old pitbull, female, a real wuss I might add and a very old housecat, he pretty much runs the house...lol

Does anyone know how a chihuahua would fit in this environment?

I look forward to all your comments and thank you

prm1965 (Patricia)
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome aboard newbie ...

Yes you can learn alot on here.I did.

Also,you should know that this site has alot to do with adoptions and fostering and rescue.

Question.Have you thought about rescuing one?There are rescues that have purebred dogs.Aso they do have rescues for the one you are looking for.

There are far to many puppy mills and byb's out there just breeding for money.Puppies that are bought are sick.

Also,when looking for a breeder you have to do research.They do not advertise in the paper.

So please think about rescuing one.

As for your pit,hmmmmm I can't say much about that.I do know they become dog aggressive.You will have to wait till the experts come on here.Is she fixed?How is she with other dogs?
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

As you may or may not know, Quebec is infested with puppy mills, where dogs are kept and bred under horrendous and cruel conditions. Pet store puppies come from these places, so stay away from them!
Also walk away from any breeder who uses the words "Tea cup or Toy" to describe their dogs, and any who have not titled their breeders, and do not give guarantees against any genetic defects common to the breed.

If you want a well bred and healthy dog, you may have to wait awhile, travel a good distance, or have one shipped to you.

I know of no REPUTABLE Chi breeder in Quebec. You might want to contact the Chi Club of Canada and ask if they know of any.

Chihuahua Club of Canada
Edna St.Hilaire
2114 Dublin Street
New Westminster, BC V3M 3A9
(604) 521-0922

There is a local rescue who does occasionally have Chis - my sister in law got a 5 lb cutie from them and is thrilled with him. She has 6 cats and no problems with hers.

Animatch

Pit bulls are often excellent with tiny dogs, and I'm assuming you already know that yours is.