Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:07 AM

Smile desperately looking for a small dog

I am looking for a chichuachua for some time now.The age or gender doesn't matter.I have been calling the SPCA almost everyday and I think I am getting on their nerves....
I have a small child and she is so careful and loving to animals.We have two cats right now.One adult male(which is my husbands)and one female kitten(which is mine).We were going to stop there,but it turns out that my husband is allergic to my kittens fur(it is different than his cats').So unfortutely we have to get rid of her.So my husband said that we could adopt a dog since we would have the room now.I hate the idea of getting rid of Nalah,but I have no choice.Unless someone would like to adopt a husband...
I live in the Montreal area.I am a stay at home mother and would always be home with the dog.If anyone knows of any chichuachuas needing a good stable home full of love,please email me at Whiteknights@tv.videotron.ca
I would my messages faster this way since I check 2 times a day.
Thanks in advance
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Re: So unfortutely we have to get rid of her.

What do yo mean get rid of her? (Sounds like she's in the mob.

Has your husband considered allergy meds because soon, the kitten will be a cat and the allergy will not be a problem. I do not run a rescue but if you said that to me and wanted a dog, I'd have to ask, so what happens if you devlop an allergy to the dog?

My sister is allergic to cats and has been all her life yet we always had cats and now she has two Siamese kitties. She started taking meds but became desensitized over time.

Allergies is one of the chief reasons cited for giving up pets and it is the one that can be addressed the easest. There are so many great allergy meds now that one never need give up a pet. Of course you could give up your hsuband - as you alluded to. Is he housebroken?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM

Allegies cannot always be fully treated with meds. Also, if the husband is allergic to the kitten's fur, it probably means it is a different breed of cat and he will still be allergic to it when it gets older. I'm guessing the full grown cat is long-haired. I also don't react to long-haired cats.

It drives me a bit nuts when people say, "just take medecine" when talking about allergies. If it solves the allergy problem fully (in my case it doesn't), it often still leaves you with a constant dry mouth and nose, AND allergy medication has been linked to cancer. I still take it when I need to because of hayfever, but I try to limit the amount I take as much as I can -- and it isn't fair to guilt someone into subjecting themselves to the lifespan of a cat of taking meds that could potentially be cancer-causing!

Having said that, I do think the OP needs to be careful about what kind of dog they get. You should really try one out first and make sure no one in your home has an allergy to it. Giving up a pet for an adoption is a painful process for all, so pets really shouldn't be acquired carelessly, especially when an allergy has already been found in your home!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

And how are you going to "get rid" of Nalah? Unless you already have a good home lined up, it could take some time as Montreal is overrun with homeless kittens.

You can search Petfinder for the dog, but you'll need to spell it correctly if you are making inquiries to rescues. It's "Chihuahua".

What will you do if your husband is allergic to the dog too?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:16 AM

I'm also allergic to dogs and cats. I had a cat around me the whole time, while growing up, and have made the decision to get dogs when I was living on my own.

Has your husband tried allergy medicine to see if it works or not? If not, give it a try. You never know.

I have to agree with the others here and ask what'll happen if your husband proves allergic to the dog too. Please don't teach your daughter that animals are disposable. Animals are commitments for their entire life.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I find it rather offensive to start planning what your next pet is going to be while at the same time planning to "get rid" of another. I have been having asthma problems, but getting rid of my cat and dog would never be an option for me. There are sprays that can help control the dander. Your hubby can also avoid touching his face, etc. after handling the cat.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I would really at least try other options [medicine for him or something]before i just got rid of her.........................Dont you think??????????????????
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Chihuahua's

Very few rescues will adopt a Chi to a family with small children. They are very delicate and can be injured easily with the slighest tug the wrong way.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Lightbulb Allergies

My best friend is allergic to her son's cat. She has found the new Febreeze for Pet Dander has really helped her and there are also solutions at the pet stores to use when grooming the cat (or dog) to also help keep the dander down. Also have you tried an air filter? Just remember put it on the opposite side of the room, as it is drawing the crappy, dander ridden air towards it. So many people sit beside the air filter thinking that they are getting the good air coming out of the machine, when in fact, all the air that bothers them (hair and dander ridden air) is being sucked towards them.

Good luck
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:18 PM
Love all creatures

Uhm..I don't think you need another pet since you're already planning to "get rid" of one that you have..that's truely offensive to me and just plain stupid..
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:23 PM

Glad to see we're not into flaming people on this forum anymore
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:38 PM

Dont know everythin

Before you judge me,let me explain more.We are fostering Nalah for a woman that found her on the streets.We took her in because there was no room for her in the fostering program,so we took her in instead.We are keeping her until she has a forever home with a family.I am also meeting the people before she goes anywhere.If I am not comfortable with the adoptee,then she doesn't go with them.We took her in temporary.To be helpfull,and to try to teach her to trust people and be good around children.I have bought my husband allergy medi,it worked for about...a week,and now it doesn't.He cannot take allergy medicine forever.His eyes are constantly red and watery,his throat feels like it's osing in on him,hhe's always sneezing,and can't sleep at night because of all this.I feel sorry for him.He is not allergic to dogs,or chichuachuas,since he grew up with dogs.
So please,before you judge me,read this.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Love all creatures

you should have posted that at the beginning so that people wouldn't judge you the wrong way...sorry but its hard not to say something straight out when we all feel so strongly about the care of animals, and with all the junk that's happening to so many of them...well..can you honestly blame me for getting upset?

Moontamara...uhm...you don't have to roll your eyes....when I heared someone wants to get "rid of" an animal just to get another one, and they aren't even sure if they'll be fine with that one, am I supposed to smile and nod like its ok? I got upset because of the impression destine presented of herself in her first post. I do appologize if I judged you the wrong way destine. My advice is to get both yourself and your husband tested for allergies of all sorts..and if you're 100% sure, then do some more research..find out what will happen down the road..will you be having children any time soon? Shelters rarely adopt out tiny dogs like that to people with children, as they are extremely delicate dogs and need very careful handling.

If you are truely sure you want to get one, and did the research, here is a good link (I'm not sure where you are, as this IS Canadian). Its a Chihuahua rescue!
http://www.ccrt.net/

And here are some other ones that I just found right now.
http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/
http://www.chihuahuarescue.com/
http://adopt-a-chihuahua.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

Good luck and I do appologize.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:04 PM

I think you should still get tested for allergies before getting a dog. As a person ages, their body changes. Even if hubby had dogs all his life, he might have developed an allergy after being out of contact with them for a while, especially if he's already prone to allergies. I would also agree with the suggestion about not getting a Chi. Small children can inadvertently injure such a delicate animal (everyone here has heard the story of my friend's Schipperke enough times, so I won't repeat it ). Even something slightly larger but more robust (how about a Westie mix?) would be better able to withstand her attentions.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi,

I am not flaming anyone, just stating a concern that I hold dearly. When we adopt pets, we have to think of them and not ourselves first. It is not like well, the small TV does not look good so I want a larger one.

There are so very few acceotable reasons for rehoming a kitten.I want to think you are not "getting rid" as you so indelicately put it of Nalah because of one of those good reasons. Allergies is not one of them. I guess I find the phrase "getting rid of" just so offensive! and unkind! "That term conjures up images of throwing the poor kitten out because she has become an inconvenience. (And as someone who has worked with dying children, an allergy is just that - an inconvenience!)

That said, that same medical background probably led me to consider allergy medications first.

So re: that area, you wrote: "I have bought my husband allergy medi,it worked for about...a week,and now it doesn't'.

There are a plethora of medications on the market. First your husband needs to find out what specific one he has to cats and how specific it is. What are the symptoms. Allergists can diagnoze that accurately. Your purchase of one OTC med will not give you any info at all. There are so many different classes and types of allergy drugs that he needs to 1) ID the main problem and 2)Find the appropriate treatment

Obviously, not living with a cat IF his allergy is severe (i.e. causes life threatening asthma attacks - most unlikley since it covers a very small portion of the population) - would be one route to take. However, since he is not in intensive care and you are already thinking of another pet, this means it falls into the moderate to weak area. (I cannot know if I do not see you or have the case history).

Most people are not allergic to cats so much as they are to the cat's saliva. That said, there is absolutely NO scientific data at all or reasearch to support the concept that one breed is less allergic than another. Cat allergies all stems from the same thing - the protein Fel d 1 in sebum.

That said, mind you, cats that shed- because the sebum comes from cat’s sebaceous glands and turns into flakes- will cause more pethogens. In fact, to quote the science on the topic from a renowened allergy journal

Unfortunately, if you are looking to buy a kitten, this doesn't help you very much. "All kittens have soft, supple skins. At this early age, an allergic person can probably handle any one of them and not have much, if any, of a reaction. It is as the skin ages and becomes less supple and the sebaceous glands begin to produce more oils (sebum) that allergy problems begin to appear."

So, I am at a loss to understand why your husband defies medical science and is allergic to the kitten when in fact, he should be more allergic to your cat???? This mamkes no sense. (I admittedly was not sure of this myself until I asked a colleage who is an allergist asnd a top researcher in that field). He explained to me that one can get a kitten and not be allergic but after time - usually a period of many months - the first and weaker symptoms may appear.

He suggests the best treatments is desensitization shots or immunotherapy. Other ways of living with a cat (and this likely won't occur until the cat may be 7-12 months) are hardwood floors as opposed to carpet, keeping the cat out of the bedroom. A person allergic to cats is also often allergic to dust and other pathogens so exposure to those triggers should also be minimized.

Another article he referred me to asserts:

"People are not allergic to their pet per se, but to products of their pet. These include dander, hair or skin proteins, fur, saliva, blood, and even urine from rodents. By using a special pet shampoo, designed to reduce the airborne allergens your pet produces on a regular basis, and shampooing regularly, and by taking a few preventive measures to remove or decrease other allergens in the home, an allergy sufferer should be able to reduce many of the sensitivities to his pet."

Next, there are the various meds such as eye drops, antihistamines, and nasal sprays that can help with itching, sneezing and inflammation. Your GP should be able to help if the OTC stuff does not work and refer you to an allergist if necessary.

Some vets recommend washing the kitten for three weeks (several times a week) and this will also reduce the cat dander.

These are just some of the alternatives and I am just offering them to you so you can keep the kitten you say you really love. With all due respect, I really doubt a reputable rescue group would give you another pet after you've told them you want to "get rid" of a current pet , epsecially a kitten because of allergies that people do not develop until cats are a little older.

You may have a most unusual and esoteric case. It is just that so many use the allergy excuse when they want to (using your term again)"get rid of" a pet.

Neither can you suggest you have given him one OTC med and it did not work. I do not want to appear unkind (and I am not, just concerend for the kitten here) but someone who really loved an animal would try several strategies before giving in to the problem.

If you do love this kitten =- I really and truly hope this helps your husband with his allergy. (If he truly does have an allergy, it is most likely to your cat and not the kitten - ) My fellow physician (allergist - I am NOT an allergist) says he has NEVER seen a case like the one you are describing of someone allergic to a kitten but not a cat in the same household. (I have to say he educated me on that topic and I am glad I asked him, they say one learns something new every day!) and he has been in this feild for almost 30 years and has taught at some of the top medical schools in Britain, Canada and the US.

Soooo.... I am at a loss for words now. He said maybe someone is just toying with you - asking you a trick question - but I told him I did not think anyone would do that, would they????

Anyway--- good luck!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
banned user

I'm confused. I don't get why you said right now we have 2 cats, one is your husbands and one is yours. But now you said it's not yours, that you're fostering it? Funny how it can change from your cat to a foster...
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Soooo.... I am at a loss for words now.
Really?? Gee, I'd hate to run into you when you're feeling especially verbose! Just kidding, CyberKitten!
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

HaHa W4Fun. (plus I am in shock too!)
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Moontamara...uhm...you don't have to roll your eyes....
Relax... I didn't mean just you -- although I do take serious offense to the word "stupid." The thing is, people don't always think of absolutely every detail that might be relevant on their first post. I just wish we'd all be a little less quick to judge.

I suddenly remembered why you, Pitbulliest might take special offense to the eye-rolling. I assure you I don't plan to be your next cyberstalker with the rolling eyes! I promise!

Animal welfare is obviously an emotional topic. I just feel that we can help more people and their pets by trying to understand where they are coming from, even when our opinions differ. We try to train our pets with positive reinforcement... we don't swear at our pets or call them morons when they make a mistake.... People make mistakes too.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:14 AM

In all fairness, I am a allergic to cats too and I can tell you that medication wears away pretty quickly. To inhabit a home where a cat lives I would have to pop a new med every three hours or so---I would also have some considerable trouble finding places to sit and curl up that would be free of cat hair, dander or saliva (they do lick their bodies and in turn put their saliva all over their coats).

I think it is fair to consider the terminology used as inappropriate---but in all fairness if you aren't allergic to cats or dogs it's not really fair to pass judgement on this man's experience.

Someone also mentioned the negative side effects to using allergy meds on a daily or even hourly basis. This is also something that this man must consider---I'm sorry but I certainly wouldnt want to digest more medication on a daily basis than necessary.

If these people are simply fostering this cat then are they really "getting rid" of it or simply following through with the process they've enrolled in? I thought that is what fostering was all about...(though the use of "getting rid" on her part was not indicative of this).
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
<-----nut ball

Also keep in mind that alergy medication only works for the histamines in the body, therefore the runny eyes and nose are fixed. However, they don't do anything for the lungs. Therefore for me, even though I can take an anti-histamine and cure the sneezing, runny nose and red itchy eyes, within 20 minutes I wouldn't be able to breathe because of my asthma, and there is no cure for that.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

antihistamines are only one kind of allergy med and one of the least effective. (But I a not expert on the various other classes) An allergist could help with that. Obviously, desensitization would be best. No one would want to willingly take meds forever.

I was not trying to judge but why say he is allergic to the kitten when that fact in itself is highly unlikely and raises a red flag in someone (my allergist friend) who knows bettr? (Now I'll admit he could be allergic to the cat).
(I did not know this till yesterday either - but I am not allegist, lol) It just makes me suspicious when she says he is allergic to one pet (and the most unlikely one) when they want another - it is kind of convenient I guess.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Love all creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontamara
Relax... I didn't mean just you -- although I do take serious offense to the word "stupid." The thing is, people don't always think of absolutely every detail that might be relevant on their first post. I just wish we'd all be a little less quick to judge.

I suddenly remembered why you, Pitbulliest might take special offense to the eye-rolling. I assure you I don't plan to be your next cyberstalker with the rolling eyes! I promise!

Animal welfare is obviously an emotional topic. I just feel that we can help more people and their pets by trying to understand where they are coming from, even when our opinions differ. We try to train our pets with positive reinforcement... we don't swear at our pets or call them morons when they make a mistake.... People make mistakes too.
I understand what you're saying, but I didn't call her stupid directly, I was referring to the "getting rid of" the cat part...just the phrase itself sounds harsh to me. But after she explained her point of view I understood, and I did appologize for the outburst.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
we don't swear at our pets or call them morons when they make a mistake
Not even if they ARE morons? Guess I should stop doing that then!

Many people don't see how offensive the term "get rid of" is. I mean, we get rid of disease, or parasites or even debt, but not our pets.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Not even if they ARE morons? Guess I should stop doing that then!

Many people don't see how offensive the term "get rid of" is. I mean, we get rid of disease, or parasites or even debt, but not our pets.
Well, to be honest, I often call Casey "babo" which is a word that means "idiot" in Korean, but unlike "idiot" "babo" is actually a term of endearment! It's kind of like "You're so crazy," is okay in English, but the direct translation is fightin' words in Korean!

The term "get rid of" certainly doesn't sound nice, especially when it's been thrown back in the OP's face so many times in one thread. But MAN! People have to be careful how they word things on this forum!!! I once said, "You can't argue with results," and someone flew back at me with an example of someone training their pet with cruelty and how one could argue with results. Well... sure.... But obviously that's not what I meant. Hmm... If one of the regulars used the term "get rid of," we'd all assume that they didn't mean it in the harsh way it sounded, wouldn't we?

Old December 4th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Good News

Good news everyone.I think I may have found a way to relive my husband of his allergies for now.I started vacumming everyday and bought the new FeBreeze Pets spray and have been using it daily.It seems my husband's allergies have slowed down a bit but we still have to find Nalah a new home.So if anyone in Montreal would love to adopt Nalah,please email me at destine0429@hotmail.com and I will get back to you.Thanks for all the advice anyways guys.
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
So many people sit beside the air filter thinking that they are getting the good air coming out of the machine, when in fact, all the air that bothers them (hair and dander ridden air) is being sucked towards them.
How appropriate! I just got an Ionic Breeze Quatra 2 days ago and have it set up next to my side of the bed aimed straight at me. I'll move it across the room. Thanks for the info!
Old December 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Destine, Glad to hear about Nalah. Good luck finding her her forever home!!
I've been doing some research, because my BF and I would like to have another baby.. hehe...(baby to us= pets to others!!lol) Anyway, Mastifflover suggested I look into some "special needs" dogs. Well we've fallen in love, and are now looking to add either a blind or deaf doggie to our mix!!
There are numerous purebred pups to adulthood looking for forever homes. I encourage you to take a look, and see if one of these furbabies would fit into your life. www.deafdogs.org (they have a Chi there). :love: