Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Question Glucosamine Supplements

I was always under the impression that glucosamine and chondroitin in a reasonably good-quality dog food was helpful for preventing joint problems in large-breed dogs....but Rainbow just told me that there isn't enough in any brand to be of much benefit.

! Now what to do? I have no idea how to supplement....so I am asking for some advice! And I hope I'm not too late...I really wanted to help Chase develop healthy joints as he was growing, and now I'm worried :sad:

My specific questions are (as relating to a 10-month old, Lab X Shepherd X Border Collie who currently weighs about 65 lbs.):

1) Do I supplement now or when my dog is older?
2) Rainbow suggested I could use supplements for humans, so do I use capsules or liquid? How much do I give? How do I give it?
3) Is the dosage based purely on weight? Does it increase for an old dog that actually has joint problems? (my boyfriend's parents have a 10-yr. old Lab X Shepherd who is getting quite slow and sore..the vet mentioned giving her glucosamine once, but provided no direction in how to do it and we felt too stupid to ask )

Thank you in advance for your help!