Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM

Is it too early to neuter?

My pup (german shepherd) just turned 5 months on Friday, he is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow and I am starting to have second thoughts...not on neutering him exactly just on whether it's too early.
He is obviously still extremely playful and I am worried that he will hurt himself (rip stitches or something) after the surgery, also will he lose his "puppiness"? Are there any health risks by doing it too early or waiting too long?
What do you guys think? Should I do it right away or wait a few more months?
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Half Way To Crazy

IMO I don't think so, we spaded Bree at 6 month, we did not want her to go into heat.. Our vet said it was a perfect time.. She did not lose her puppiness, we just had to watch her closely, and keep an E-Collar on her for 10 days..
She is now 1 year and she still thinks she is a pup
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

It is not too early. He will not be allowed to play with other dogs for a week or so but he will be back to himself in no time. There is always a risk when a dog undergoes surgery just like humans. But the risks are minimal. Neutering will not change your dogs personality. You will be happy you did it early less recovery time. When I first got Bud he had not been neutered yet and he was 2, in my agreement I had to neuter him within 2 months. This was due to a health issue that he was not neutered before I got him. I did have problems with other males getting aggressive with him because he was not neutered as soon as he was no problems with most dogs. Neutering lessens the risk of testicular cancer.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

In my experience neutering preserves whatever personality and disposition traits are being exhibited at the time. Early neuter preserves youthful outlook and too late neutering may not resolve already learned adult behaviour like wandering, aggression and attaching to people's legs. And the operation is much less invasive with males than females so not as much concern about ripping stiches, there aren't as many. He will require a period of rest whatever age he is neutered at.
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

We got Dazy spayed at 5 months old, we were told to do it as early as possible cuz she was a dominet little thing, and it's best to do it beofre thehormones start flying and I am pretty sure the rescue places do it really early, our friend just got a pup at 12 weeks old and she was already spayed.

It was hard to keep Dazy quiet for 12 days, but we did lots of leash exercises and clicker training to tire her out. Make sure the vet gives you an e-collar, I know people wo have been sent home without one and found it VERY hard to keep their pooches from licking the stitches.

It didn't change her personality one bit, and it opens up alot of things to you if you have a "fixed' animal like off leash parks, day cares, doggie classes, play dates, and kennels.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)