Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 29th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Kinda discouraging raw info.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I don't find that discouraging at all. But like the article says "You can give basic food safety guidelines like hand washing, cleaning surfaces, and bowls, etc., not letting the food sit out for extended periods of time." And that pretty much covers it for the human aspect. As for the dogs, well they'll be just fine.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

yeah, this article and others like thess ones : http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=339295
http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-barf.html have kept me from giving raw another try (that AND the fact that Buster was sick as a dog (no pun intended) on that diet!)

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; December 29th, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
To be the devils advocate : http://www.rawlearning.com/responsetoAVMA1.html

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

I'm not discouraged either. I would like to know where on earth these researchers are getting their products. I feed my dogs meat from the grocery store so I feel they are at no more risk than I am for getting sick. I also have taken foood safe courses and worked in the food industry for years before I became a graphic designer and basically it does come down to being careful with raw products. In fact I think now more people are getting salmonella and food poisening from fruits and veggies than meat. The last two months alone we have had 2 different produce products pulled from the floors in Calgary.
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

On another site i lurk around on, that is the main argument against raw feeding that keeps coming up anytime anyone asks. From someone who feed Iams of all things... Im not personally discouraged by it, but many people are.
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM

laughable

****If the idea appeals to you, your dog enjoys it and you are prepared to tolerate the inconvenience and potential health risks of handling and freezing large amounts of raw meat then go for it.******

Frankly, the idea of inconveniencing myself to prepare raw meat for my human family annoys me..... but I don't see health centres trying to convince me to eat a diet that consists of soley prepackaged foods (although, I might like too)... On the contrary, it's frowned upon from a dietary perspective.

I wish I could use this same argument to convince my hubby I didn't need to prepare dinner nightly!!! FYI, the dogs NEVER complain that dinner is late, under cooked, or not to their liking....oh, except when I give a serving of Kibbles.... then they give me the "are you for real", look! Gads.... it's demeaning.

Angie J
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Honest Contributor

well in my opinion, it's just one source of information... quickly countered by another. I didn't go into this way of feeding my kids blindly, of course i also had my moments of doubt but then common sense won over been feeding raw for almost 3 years now, i know many people who have been at it for many years (also breeders who feed generations of their prized dogs this way) and you know... there are risks to everything in life, IMO the benefits of feeding raw outweigh the risks 100 to 1, i see it everyday in my dogs how healthy and strong they are. so i'm not bothered by any "reports". Goodness, the media feeds off fear-mongering, everything is dangerous, unhealthy, morbid, bad news, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, blah blah blah.

laughable, indeed!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; December 29th, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I forgot that article is almost 2 years old.It doesnt have to be an either or,some suggest home cooked.More work than raw if you think about it.Another one http://www.belfield.com/article11.html

I have some other links,will look for them.

Last edited by LL1; December 30th, 2006 at 02:16 PM.