Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Innapropriate Elimination

So I have this cute cat, Alaska. He's amazing in every way, except one. Recently he's stopped eliminated in the litter box. He still pees in the litter box, but at least once a day he craps on the floor. I'm stumped. He has done this before on occasion, but sporatically. When he was a kitten he always used the litter box, I should know, I trained him to use it! Now, he seems do it everyday, and its no fun to have to clean up cat crap every morning. Nothing has changed dramatically in his life. We got a new dog, Roxy about 2 months ago, but this problem has only gotten worse in the last few weeks. We use Yesterdays News litter and change it every couple of days. Any suggestions or ideas?
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM
-

One of my cats used to do this , he was constipated. Not saying that's Alaska's problem.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm also wondering about constipation or some sort of intestinal issues. My cat gets constipated a few times a year and always ends up pooping outside the box, usually under my bed. Same with if it's diarrhea.

Other than that, how old is Alaska? Could it be an arthritis related problem? Sometimes trying to balance in deep litter can be challenging if the joints aren't so stable anymore.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Catlover2

You say "nothing has changed dramatically in his life", but then you say you got a new dog "Roxy" two months ago. That's dramatic! I think Alaska is showing you he's not happy about that, and he's stressed out about it, and its his way of showing his displeasure about this new addition. Does the dog ever go near the litter box(es)? Some dogs like to eat cat poops. That may be what's upsetting the cat.
Can you isolate the cat in a quiet room away from the dog for a while to see if that makes a difference? I would also change the litter to something else from "Yesterdays News" to a clumping litter and clean the clumps out of the box twice a day. Sometimes if a cat gets poop on its paws while covering up the litter, he doesn't like that and then will go outside the box. Most cats prefer a clumping litter as it's easier for them to cover up.
Inappropriate elimination, when cat checks out healthy, is usually a sign of stress.

Last edited by catlover2; October 9th, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
You say "nothing has changed dramatically in his life", but then you say you got a new dog "Roxy" two months ago. That's dramatic!
What I meant is that I would think the behaviour would have started sooner after we got Roxy. Also he likes her, and dogs in general. He plays with my other dog, and he's not scared or avoidant of Roxy.

I'll write more later..I've got to get to school
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
One of my cats used to do this , he was constipated. Not saying that's Alaska's problem.

Yes this is a possibility...I notice he strains a bit sometimes to go now, as I've added some raw meaty bones to his diet. I'm not sure what to do about that but Ill think on it...
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Couple things I just thought of: how many litter boxes do you have? Maybe you need to add one more? Also, with the newspaper litter, do you scoop out the urine-soaked pellets or stir them back in? This is typically a problem with the pine pellet litter where it even says on the bag to just stir it back in, but I really think this is a bad idea. Cats can still smell it and don't want to walk in their own pee. I use Yesterday's News mixed with pine pellets and my cat way prefers this to any of the clumping litters, but I also completely scoop out every trace of urine with a little garden trowel a couple times a day.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Couple things I just thought of: how many litter boxes do you have? Maybe you need to add one more? Also, with the newspaper litter, do you scoop out the urine-soaked pellets or stir them back in? This is typically a problem with the pine pellet litter where it even says on the bag to just stir it back in, but I really think this is a bad idea. Cats can still smell it and don't want to walk in their own pee. I use Yesterday's News mixed with pine pellets and my cat way prefers this to any of the clumping litters, but I also completely scoop out every trace of urine with a little garden trowel a couple times a day.
Hey! thanks for the reply. We only have one litter box, and that might be a problem. I remember in my animal behavior class they reccomended always having one more litter box than you do cats. But, we live in a one bedroom apt with 2 cats and 2 dogs, so I don't know where I'd put it! Maybe Ill look around for a cranny that isnt already stuffed with various animal pariphinalia!

We always scoop out the urine soaked litter, because I find it smells, less than the clumping litter but still smells.

I think it might be constipation, because I noticed one day that he was straining to go and came running out of the box, that might have started it. I'm gonna try giving him a bit of meat, or organs with his chicken necks. I think because I just put some with his canned food, they digest at different rates and the chicken neck didnt have time to fully digest, so it was hard for him to eliminate.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If he has had pain while pooing in the litterbox, he may associate the litter box with the pain.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
If he has had pain while pooing in the litterbox, he may associate the litter box with the pain.
Yeah thats what I'm thinking... now the dilemma is how to get him to reassociate it with good things
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I just have to add that I love the title of this thread. It's so "intelligent." Some people might have just said, "Cat crapping all over."

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
I just have to add that I love the title of this thread. It's so "intelligent." Some people might have just said, "Cat crapping all over."
LoL... thanks. That comes from my behavior class.... I was thinking of using the later, actually. You gotta use the appropriate terms you know
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Just to let you all know that the suggestions worked! I got an open litter box with clumping litter, and its been three days without crap! YAY
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Catlover2

Hi, glad to hear you got Alaska straightened out and he's using the box again. Hope he continues this good behaviour----if you see him using it praise him with a "good boy"! In spite of what some people say about cats just wanting to do their own thing, most want to please their owners.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Hope he continues this good behaviour----if you see him using it praise him with a "good boy"! In spite of what some people say about cats just wanting to do their own thing, most want to please their owners.
I totally agree with this. Positive reenforcement does work on cats. I know my Abu would bend over backwards if he thought it would make me happy!