Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Owned by goldens

For the food gurus

I recently brought home a foster dog that has very weak back legs. The weakness may be a result of hip problems or arthrits but I won't know until he is x-rayed on December 5. We don't know his history aside from the fact he was found by animal control and never claimed. He may have spent his life in a cage for all I know so the weakness may be a result of not enough exercise. I have already noticed an improvement from the day I brought him home but he is still having trouble.
His back end is very thin and there is absolutely no muscle mass. Is there something I could give him to help build his strength and muscle mass? We have started exercising him slowly by taking him on short walks but I was thinking a diet higher protein in may help.
I am not going to feed him RAW but if supplementing his kibble with red meat will help him I will certainly give it a try.
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM

What about Evo RM (red meat)?
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbelle
I am not going to feed him RAW but if supplementing his kibble with red meat will help him I will certainly give it a try.
some red raw meat is better than none at all so YES! you can add to quality kibble 50/50 (if you can). + glucosamine/chondroitrin supplements - with the xrays!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Owned by goldens

Food gurus

Thanks, I am going to buy him some meat this week. I started him on glucosamine the first day he came home. I would love to be able to buy the Evo but there is just nowhere around that sells it. I can look near my cottage on the weekend as I know they sell it but that is only on the weekend.
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

you live on the south shore, no? I sent you a pm -- there's a store on the shhore that sellls RM

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

i have been feeding Aiden (husky X) EVO ( got him 3 weeks ago from animal control) and he s doing pretty well, he was skin and bones when we got him, and you could feel all of his vertebrae and ribs, his hips stuck out alot , which meant minimal muscle mass(actually all of this is still true, but to a much lesser extent. )
I have started him wth 1/2 evo 1/2 science diet, because his poops were very very runny. and I have been slowly weeing him off of the SD. I find since he was obviously not eating much before, his appetite was very small (still is at times) mixing some beef tripe in has help get him to eat.
best of luck its frustrating though, because you just want them to be better, but it takes along time to put the weight on, and you dont want it to happen too fast. keep up with the exercise it will hwlp build the muscle mass, and make what hes gaining not fat but muscle!

(also not food guru, but going through simular situation)
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Have you thought of satin balls? There are about a dozen different recipes on this site for them, it'd be a good way to feed red meat (as a treat), plus it's VERY high in calories.

Here's how I make them

1 pound of hamburger meat (I cook it, but you could feed it raw)
3 or 4 eggs (raw)
1/2 cup of cooked rice

Mix all together into balls (if they don't stick, add more egg), and freeze. Voilą! Super treat! Buster'll do just about anything for them

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Owned by goldens

For the food gurus

I had forgotten about satin balls. I am going to give them a try.