Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:17 AM

Question Cornish Rex (cat) has filthy greasy ears

She's about 4 years old; I've had her a few months. She isn't my first cat, but is my first Rex. She has greasy, dark discharge in both ears that returns almost as quick as you clean it. She also is very dirty in general - her forehead, the tips of the ears, her tail. Her coat feels greasy. She was rescued from a breeder. She's been treated twice for ear mites, but I don't think this is a mite problem. The vet suggested she might be pushing her head around in the litterbox - I have to admit, the dirt on her forehead does smell a bit like feces - but we've never been able to see her doing it. I've tried cleaning her ears but they're the same the next day and she hates it. I can't see this ever becoming a daily event! It's a shame for her to look this way but I don't know what to do for her. A photo is attached that shows the inside of her ear well.

Also, we had her spayed and now her tummy seems to have lots of loose skin that just hangs. Would this be due to having been bred too much (or at least, repeatedly)? Is it normal?
Attached Images

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor kitty - they are beautiful (if kind of weird looking!) cats. I've only really gotten to know one, and he was just the most affectionate, funny cat.

Anyhow I googled "cornish rex skin problems" and found a number of articles on care of their skin & coat. Most suggest that diet is of extreme importance in maintaining a healthy skin, as well as proper bathing:
http://www.mykrocornishrex.com/5.html

Hope that helps some!
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

That poor baby! Considering the kind of "breeder" she came from, no doubt she was bred every heat and that would cause some sagging.

I suggest you see another vet about her ear problems. For her to be rubbing her head in feces would be extremely bizarre!

Thanks for saving this kitty!