Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

In our newspaper i just read that JCPenney was also selling fur trimmed jackets saying i think it was racoon when it really was wild dogs from China....
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Heidiho ... baby steps it's a horrible industry and many still prefer taking an ostrich's stance. Just look here out of maybe 10 people you have still a few who'll argue opposition even with facts.

Exposure over and over again is what it'll take. When people realize it is them that's indirectly responsible for the horror - that's when it'll end. You have to hit them where it hurts - $. The demand must stop!
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

This is oh so sad. It doesn't matter who , where, what, whatever...........The bottom line is ANIMAL ABUSE must STOP!!! Put your dang indifferences aside.....fight for the ones who have no voice to stop the injustices that are being done to them. Use that voice for an arguement that means something. Everyone must know that animals suffer everyday, whether is is for fashion, food, ignorant people.......what ever!! Stop arguing over what company or organization said what.........speak from the heart...speak for the animals!!!!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

what do you mean baby steps????I agree we should all just think about what is best for the animals.....
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I just meant it's a slow proccess and alot to absorb right away.
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

And yet another 'Rapper.......He had 99 problems, now Jay-Z has one more.

A jacket from Jigga's clothing line, Rocawear, allegedly has dog fur in its collar, even though it's advertised as having fake fur. According to an investigation by The Humane Society of the United States, the Hunter jacket on Rocawear.com contains real fur from a raccoon dog, a dog indigenous to Asia that The Humane Society claims are skinned alive for the coats, hence the uproar.

As of today, the $265 coat was still a "featured" item on the Rocawear website. Late last year, a similar investigation found that raccoon dog fur was being used in a coat in rap mogul P. Diddy's "Sean John" collection; that item was removed from stores within a few days.

Reps for Jay-Z and Rocawear could not immediately be reached for comment. The Humane Society said that it informed the company of the issue a week ago, but that they've taken no action ".......
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony
Stop arguing over what company or organization said what.........speak from the heart...speak for the animals!!!!!
Amen to that

today i passed over a great sweater at DEX, it was 70% off but had a fur collar, i read the tag and there was NO mention of the "trimming" but the label said "made in china" so you can bet i passed on that faster than a piece off rotten meat :sad:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

thank you TD for demonstating your passion for compassion. Just want to comment that it's not only the fur and fur trimming from China that use dogs and cats. It's way too early to feel sick again but wanted to add the only thing FAUX are the LABELS ... no matter what country.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog fur

Before Christmas I was looking for a coat for my daughter. She wanted a long down filled with a hood. I found one at TJ Max which was the right color, size and price. I checked the tag to find out what the collar was made of and it said racoon. I left the coat there and now I wonder if it was really dog or cat and not racoon. I told my daughter about it and she said she was glad I didn't buy it. We later found one without a fur collar.
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Honest Contributor

see... every little bit counts, i know it does. Just received a spam email from Procter & Gamble advertising coupons and free samples for a bunch of products, now that i know they test their stuff on animals you bet i will never give them a red cent

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here's the latest!

Jan. 13, 2007, 10:01AM
Dog-fur coats make comeback at J.C. Penney

By DAVID KOENIG
Associated Press

DALLAS — J.C. Penney Co. removed some fur-trimmed coats from its racks around Christmas after animal-rights activists objected that the fur came from wild dogs in China.

Last week, the department-store company put the coats back on the racks — but only after directing employees to use marker pens to blot out the line on the label that identified the trim as raccoon fur.

The fur-collared leather coats were sold under the house brands St. John's Bay and a.n.a., and by this week they were marked down at a Penney's in Dallas from the original $349.99 to $74.99. About two dozen remained.

"We sold a lot of them during Christmas," said a saleswoman at a Penney store in North Carolina who spoke on condition of anonymity because she feared losing her job. "I hope people who bought those coats aren't animal lovers. But I guess if they're wearing fur, they're not."

By putting the coats back on the racks, Penney is charting a different course than rival Macy's, which last month pulled Sean John jackets after they turned out to contain the same fur. Macy's said it has a policy against selling products with dog fur.

Animal-rights groups are using the incident to pressure Penney to drop sales of all real fur, including fox. A few clothiers such as Polo Ralph Lauren and J. Crew have stopped using fur, and designers Kenneth Cole and Calvin Klein have promised to follow suit.

But Penney, with more than 1,000 stores catering to middle-income shoppers, says it has no plans to alter its fashion selections.

"We do sell a few fur-trim items. We will continue to do so," said Darcie Brossart, a spokeswoman for the Plano-based company.

Penney also downplays any link between Lassie and the animal whose fur is used on some of its garments. That animal is often called a raccoon dog because of its full coat and dark patches around the eyes.

"Asiatic raccoon is the species name," Brossart said. "It's on the Federal Trade Commission's list of fur that is legal to sell in the United States. It's not a dog."

Animal-rights advocates counter that although it looks like an oversized, fluffy raccoon and isn't kept as a pet, it is a canine breed — something Penney doesn't dispute while noting that foxes are canines, too.

"They are definitely a member of the dog family," said Kristin Leppert, manager of the anti-fur campaign at The Humane Society of the United States. "What's equally important is that they're getting killed by the millions in the most atrocious way."

Activists from Swiss Animal Protection posing as a documentary film crew say they went to China and photographed raccoon dogs and foxes being killed at large fur-harvesting operations.

The crew's disturbing video — posted on the Internet — shows animals clubbed or slammed on the ground. Some continue writhing, gasping and blinking as they are skinned alive.

Clothing made with raccoon dog fur has turned up at several retailers, according to Leppert of the Humane Society. She said she bought a St. John's Bay coat in Maryland and sent it for analysis at a German laboratory, which said the fur was raccoon dog instead of raccoon.

Penney sent samples to a lab near Dallas, which also confirmed the fur was raccoon dog, Brossart said. The coats were pulled off racks two days before Christmas.

Brossart said company lawyers determined it was legal to sell the coats as long as they didn't claim that the fur came from a particular species. A new order went to stores last week, and the word "raccoon" was blotted out from the labels.

Several Penney employees tipped off People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals about the label-altering, but Penney defended its actions.

"We always knew we were selling real fur," Brossart said, "but we didn't want any customers to think they were wearing raccoon."

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

EW EW EW......Fur is just something i dont understand there are a million ways to keep warm,and how you could wear a dead animal,that are killed in such a horrible,torteous way is really a sick thing. shame on jc money hungry penneys
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Honest Contributor

another store to put on the Black List. the NERVE of these people!!!

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

No s*** For sure blacklist...........So so sad.....
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Queen

I just wanted to mention that down the under plumage of birds usually geese and ducks, used for filling in quilts, clothing, etc., I've heard how it's done and I just can't bear to think of all the birds having to go through what they do to give their feathers. I think we have enough synthetic substitutes to do without fur, leather, feathers, etc.

I didn't think much of it a couple of years ago but i've had more time recently to think about things like this. Also rescuing a few birds and knowing a few chickens made me more aware.

We can do a lot by just looking at an item and deciding not to buy it if it's made with animal parts.

Here is a little bit of info:http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4359E/y4359e0c.htm Not graphic just educational. Actually WARNING do not go past the page I posted because it does get graphic. Sorry.

Last edited by Maya; January 23rd, 2007 at 08:39 PM.