Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 10th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

dingo stole me baby- chabermlin case

lol, well if you dont know i will give a breif overview of one of australias stupidest cases of murded and the blame on a poor little dingo, it has just come back up after some bloke says he has the babies body. and it was one of australias most famous cases ever, even as a child i had a strong opinion about it as it was everywhere for years, i was five when it happened and i still remember it like yesterday, it was a case that was discussed at every dinner table in australia, even the school yard and everyone had a opinion.
ok, it was 1980. lindy chamberlin, her husband michael, her 6yo son and her new born baby were out in central australia on a camping trip. one night the 6yo and baby were asleep in the tent while their parents had drinks outside with other campers. when lindy went to check the baby (hours later) she claims to have found blood and the baby missing, the boy saw it all but has never ever spoken about it (there were issues of abuse in this family also, added to her conviction). lindy said she saw a dingo running from camp with a small item, and she said it was her baby. they later found the cloths buried and covered in blood. never found the baby. well it was all a little suspect and lindy chamberlain was found guilty for the murder of little azaria. after 6 years in prision they let her out and she claimed to be a victim and the northern territory government paid her 1.3 million for compo.. and she has made plenty of money of her story since and is sitting quite pretty. her son does not speak with her anymore, and he has never spoken out about what he saw.
well in recent weeks the story has resurfaced with socalled new evidence.
ok there is one bloke who says he and four men were up north at the time of the babies death, they saw a dingo at a dam in a national park carrying a small body, they shot the dingo and took the body. this man is claiming he took the body home to victoria and buried it in his yard. now he has passed a lie detector test, but the other men are all dead so cannot corroborate it. it is claimed the reason they never took the body in was that they may have been doing something very illeagle, and most think it was booze smuggling, i n those days a cask of wine would get you $50 in the desert (many dry communities out there, no alchol allowed). he claims to have kept it for 24yrs for fear of prosecution because it is illeagle to fire a shot gun in a national park and that is where they killed the dingo also.
so they will dig up the yard and look for evidence, even the police doubt his claims, based on evidence they have, his description of the body was not right either. oh and he is talking to movie producers over big deals and money, i think his story is crap. lindy chamberliain is free today, and living a very comfortable life. the death of her baby has never been solved.
here is what i have always thought and the majority of aussies agree-
she killed the baby. really how does a dingo enter a closed tent, do up the door behind it and carry a baby away in its jaws without any one hearing, yeah right that child would have been screaming. they have only ever found scraps of her cloths and no body. i think she killed it and dumped the body and that is how the dingo got it. only the boy knows what happened that night and he has never ever spoken about it, even when it happened. they let her go cause they couldnt get the evidence to continue her life sentence. and note dingos are not know for their baby stealing, it has never happened again. most australians agree with this theory, it is logical, as opposed to her story. but now it is back, and will go on for years again, luckily for her she cannot go back to prision for this crime due to the laws.
so over the next few weeks it will all come back, and im sure all the jokes will to. such as the a saying 'baby stole me dingo' lol lol .
poor azaria, she was murdeder and no one will ever pay for it, her mother is living high and happy and sadly the age of the case goes against her memory as does the fame of it too as there is so many opinions around and every aussie over 25yo has one. will be interesting to see what happens now. so sad poor baby
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

I remember that story. I can honestly say I have yet to form a good opinion on that one. i do alot of online studies on unsolved cases and that one still makes me wonder. If you know of any articles on it online let me know. I'd like to track the progress.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So what if this guy is telling the truth though?
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM

I guess is he is telling the truth the story could still go both. Either this was a one time isolated event recorded that a dingo did take the baby. Or as what was already stated maybe the mother did committed murder and the dingo found the baby by chance.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Which leaves one to wonder....

She was given a life sentence and was out in 6 years.

The state paid her $1.3 million in compansation for the time she spent in jail.

Several years ago now, a pomeranian killed an infant left lying on the bed. Never heard of anything like it before then or since then. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A pom really ? Wow I don't remember that story, very interesting.

I suppose they can make a new version of the movie now...

The dingo stole my baby
no he didn't
yes he did
no he didn't
yes he did
no he didn't and we're at now
well gee maybe he did