Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM

I Have To Rehome My Kitty :(

I have two cats - a four-year-old, and a one-year-old. I am allergic to cats, but I have always been able to tolerate my symptoms, until recently.

My symptoms have gotten worse, and they are now interfering with my day-to-day life. I work from home, so I can't even get away from it while working. I have tried keeping the fur away, but it hasn't helped much. I have also tried medications.

After months of consideration, I have decided to find another home for my younger kitty. I took my time, and found a great home for him. The lady is coming by tomorrow to get him, and I just feel terrible. I love my kitties, and I feel like I am a terrible kitty-mom.

My allergies are the main reason that I am rehoming him, but also, my cats don't get along with one another. So, neither of them are really happy in their current situation. My one-year-old wants to play with my four-year-old, but she *does not* want to play with him! So, his new home has two playful cats that are closer to his age and energy level.

I have been going back and forth, wondering if I should tell the lady that I changed my mind... but, I know it's just not feasible at this point.

If my symptoms don't subside in a few weeks, I may have to rehome my other kitty as well.

Has anyone here ever had to rehome a pet? How do you deal with the feelings of guilt?
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhh, that's a tough one. So sorry that you're going through this, but glad that you found a nice home for your younger kitty. Will the new owner give you updates on him?

Have you talked to a doctor about your allergies? Perhaps you can try a prescription med or go for allergy shots (provided you don't have the type of doc that just tells you to get rid of the cats). Often the holistic health community has better solutions for these types of chronic conditions, so that might be something else worth looking into.

Something else to think about is your cat's diet. I find that when cats are eating better food (balanced raw or good quality canned), they shed less and have less dander. There are also various wipes and grooming products that help minimize cat allergens. Allerpet and Earthbath are a couple examples.

Keeping other chemicals, perfumes and irritants in your home to a minimum should help lessen the load on your hyperactive immune system, so using scent-free cleaning products and laundry detergents can be a big help.

I'm also allergic to cats, but have 4! My allergies have gradually gotten less severe over time. I find having a Hepa air filter or 2 really helps, and my cats don't usually sleep on the bed either.

I wish you luck! I don't think I'd ever be able to re-home one of my furry family members (but then I've never been in a position where I had to), so I can't give you much advice in that department.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks, sugarcatmom.

Yes, the new owner will give me updates on him.

I have been on a couple of medications. Some don't work for me, and some give me side effects (such as an incredibly dry nose). And sometimes I can't afford them.

My cats eat Wellness (grain-free) wet and dry. It's strange - when I brush my one-year-old cat, I hardly get any fur from him (but get a handful from my older cat). Yet, when he lays on me, I am covered in fur when he gets up!

Thanks for your advice.