Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Puppy destroying my washoorm

Well I just got my 3 month old Lab last week. Friday I left him in my washroom for 3 hours, I came back and his poo was smeared on the floor,bathtub,counter and mirror. His food was all over the floor and potty pads were all torn up. I left him alone again today and same thing happend! I can't seem to leave this pup alone without him smearing his poo everywhere, it took me over a hour to clean my washroom today. Can anyone give me some ideas here? He is still peeing/pooing inside the house and I am in the processes of potty training him. Thanks!
Here is a pic of him, his name is Lucky
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM

get a kennel, he is a baby so he is going to make messes, your leaving a toddler diaper-less essentially. Do not leave him alone very long since he has very little bathroom control.
You might be better with a vari-kennel plastic type kennel as it reduces the likelihood of poop or pee flying out of the kennel if he messes.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Crate train and let out often....then you can go to a playpen type and leave his crate with door open in it as a bed. Eventually he will stop eliminating in his bed area altogether.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
get a kennel, he is a baby so he is going to make messes, your leaving a toddler diaper-less essentially. Do not leave him alone very long since he has very little bathroom control.
cell said that one right. he is a yet a baby who doesn't know how to hold his pee and poo yet and he is still undergoing his kinder potty training. This can account for the mess in the washroom.
so next time you get to leave him for a long time, better let him do the pee and the poop first.
and the food and pads mess can be out of his boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Crate train and let out often....then you can go to a playpen type and leave his crate with door open in it as a bed. Eventually he will stop eliminating in his bed area altogether.
another good one from marty. crate training will surely make you hit two birds with a single stone. You get him to behave and stay there while all the time preventing accidents.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Lose the puppy pads. If your goal is to teach your dog to go to the bathroom outside, pads only confuse the dog. It essentially is teaching him to soil on things like area rugs, carpets, etc.

As said above, crate training will be your best friend. It's also much safer for your dog than being left in a bathroom.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky is just too adorable. Yes as the others have said he is very young still and can't hold his bodily functions yet. I agree with Bailey that puppy pads are confusing to a dog. I'd go without. Get a crate and read up on crate training. Always it must be a good place to go, never a punishment. As soon as he wakes up take him outside and stay with him until he goes potty. Then have a party with him. Praise him and give him a tiny high value treat (bit of hotdog or cheese). He will quickly learn that going potty outside is a blast! Do not play with him outside until he does his business or else he'll want to play first always. Do not buy a giant crate unless you are able to block off at least half of it. The dog will not want to do his business in a small area where he has to lay down. If the crate is too large he'll simply go in one corner and sleep in another. Also, when he does his business in your bathroom or house DO NOT PUNISH HIM. Some people rub their noses in their mess or hit them. Neither of these things will teach your puppy anything at all other than to distrust you and to hide when he does something. There are lots of threads on here about crate training and housebreaking. Do some research and find what works for you and Lucky. Stick to it though, perseverance and patience will eventually work. Labs are very quick learners and anxious to please their owners.
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you leave him with something to do while you're gone? Fill some Kong or Busy Buddy toys with peanut butter, frozen canned food, squeeze cheese, etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Floppy Dog

Also, before you go out and leave Lucky (too adorable, BTW) make sure (s)he is well exercised and tired, within the limits of her/his bone development, of course. You don't want a case of hip displacia from too much exercise on soft joints. A tired dog is a good dog.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the advice!
I am afraid if I loose the puppy pads he will start peeing on my floors inside my house. So far he has bin peeing on the pads a lot and I do give him lots of love when he does it. I am in the processe of buying a crate for him.