Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:37 AM
oceanslily oceanslily is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Advice/opinions on cat with Stomatitis

I have been doing as much reading as I can over the last few weeks/months on Stomatitis and I keep hitting a dead end in regards to my question. It seems as if every article ends on the note "most cats see relief with the removal of their teeth."

We are in the midst of dealing with this ailment and have gone through many of the recommended procedures -- began with cleanings, rinses, gels, antibiotics, steroids, etc. etc. Finally decided to have his back teeth removed, after which he seemed 100x better -- temporarily. He quickly went back down hill (drooling, not grooming, not eating, pawing at his mouth, "screaming") so we opted to have the others removed. The vet pulled all put three canines. He didn't want to risk removing them because his teeth are very healthy and firmly implanted. He feared breaking his jaw.

After his last surgery, he very temporarily seemed better after recovering from his surgery. After about three weeks, his health seems to have taken another dive. It's been over four weeks since his surgery and he's getting worse and worse.

Now, we are in a conundrum -- what do we do next? He's a decade old and has been part of our lives since a few days after his birth (his litter was abandoned and he was the only survivor).

In some ways, I feel like we should try to remove his final three teeth. Then, I think about the risks to him and can't really stomach the idea of him suffering through a broken jaw on top of all of this. Then, I wonder, what if it doesn't do anything? We've put him through another surgery, not to mention the financial aspect. If it didn't work, I don't think I could go through all of the other treatment options as they are risky, expensive, and don't seem like they are overly effective.

We love our kitty, but are realistic. We feel we've given him ten great years. At the same time, we don't want to rush to "that" decision if we feel that we can improve his quality of life without causing him more suffering and us to go broke.

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts, anecdotes, or opinions.
Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.