Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old April 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM

poor kitty lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8yn...ext=1&index=56

this is funny/cute to me lol.

seeing as how they are both around the same age(im guessing.)
the kid doesnt know any better, but it was cute seeing the cat going "no!"

the only thing i worried about was when his head went underwater, but im sure he's fine.

what do YOU think?
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok - I am all for a good humour but if that were my kid, pulling ANY of my cats like that into the water, someone would be getting it big time.

Not cute nor funny...just an ignorant father and a ill trained bratty kid.

I wonder if the cat stratched the heck out of the kid..would the father still be laughing???
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM

i understand your emotions, but i dont understand you saying its a bratty kid.

i think he did nothing wrong, i mean, yes the parent should have intervined, but he's just doing what kids do.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:30 AM

You thought that was funny?

What this father teaching his son about animals is that it's okay to be mean to them (while the kid may not have known better at first, anyone-even a child- can see the cat is curious but does not want to be pulled in), make them uncomfortable and laugh at them while doing it. The kid's gonna grow up without respect for animals

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM

"ill trained bratty kid"
"the kid's gonna grow up without respect for animals"

i think you guys are jumping the gun with this.
the kid could not even form a sentence (let alone a word) and you think he could tell the cat didnt want to jump in the tub?
yes the father should have went "no!" instead of "hahaha!" after it happened. but up till that point, i dont see any harm being done with the kid. he was just doing what kids do. i dont see how he's going to grow up to be a kid who miss treats animals.

my brother is a good example of this.

when he was in his diapers, he used to pull our cat by it's tail and spin it around.
is he the same now? no, he's actually quite kind with animals.

sure the kid will learn something from this, be it negative or positive. but in the end, when he grows up, it'll be up to him whether or not he's going to respect animals. he'll be able to reflect on his actions.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve View Post

my brother is a good example of this.
when he was in his diapers, he used to pull our cat by it's tail and spin it around.
is he the same now? no, he's actually quite kind with animals.
I thought SSS was your first cat? Has he come back yet by the way?

Anyway, the father definitely is sending a mixed message to his child just for the sake of a good laugh. Cats are curious about a lot of things including water. Doesn't mean it's a good idea for them to be dunked in it. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I thought SSS was your first cat? Has he come back yet by the way?

Anyway, the father definitely is sending a mixed message to his child just for the sake of a good laugh. Cats are curious about a lot of things including water. Doesn't mean it's a good idea for them to be dunked in it. JMO
well, when i was 4, i remember my dad took my older sister to an animal shelter to adopt a kitty. its name was snowbal. we returned it after a couple a months.

so yeah, it wasnt MY cat, i mean i was still learning the alphabat at the time.

and no, SSS hasnt come back yet, im waiting for the 2 week mark to start theorizing possibilities.

yes, i believe if anything, its the father who people should be mad at, not the kid. up to the point of hitting the water, i thought it was cute (how the kitty looked.)
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
"ill trained bratty kid"

the kid could not even form a sentence (let alone a word) and you think he could tell the cat didnt want to jump in the tub?
yes the father should have went "no!" instead of "hahaha!" after it happened. but up till that point, i dont see any harm being done with the kid. he was just doing what kids do. i dont see how he's going to grow up to be a kid who miss treats animals.
Ok call me insensitive. Many of us here are dealing with animals that are abused on a daily basis. Incidents of kids throwing animals from windows, kids putting cats in dryers, kids throwing animals in the pool...the list goes on.

Personally, I don't see any humour in this at all. Call me a complete downer if you will but I have seen pain and suffering so darn often that it absolutely infuriates me to hear a father in the background finding this funny. What message is that sending the kid.

Again - if that cat, in his own defense, scratched the h*ll out of the kid..I wonder how much laughter there would be.

Last edited by BenMax; April 16th, 2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling..again.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Compromised account

I am sorry, but I am as well not laughing so much..

I think if the cat freaked and drew blood by using his claws (just what cats do, when freaked!) he'd probably be drowned in that same tub by infuriated father...

Sorry, not funny or cute.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM

for me, anything a kitten does in general, i find cute. like i said, up until it hit the water it was cute/funny.

about the scratching thing though, i think it kinda did scratch the kid, because he was kinda putting his legs together.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
and no, SSS hasnt come back yet, im waiting for the 2 week mark to start theorizing possibilities.
??

Quote:
for me, anything a kitten does in general, i find cute. like i said, up until it hit the water it was cute/funny.

about the scratching thing though, i think it kinda did scratch the kid, because he was kinda putting his legs together.
I don't think the cat got him at all. I think the kid just decided to protect his jewels. He's old enough to know better. Looked like around three to me. My kids at that age knew darned well not to harm their cat in any way or they were punished. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
??

I don't think the cat got him at all. I think the kid just decided to protect his jewels. He's old enough to know better. Looked like around three to me. My kids at that age knew darned well not to harm their cat in any way or they were punished. JMO
You know what I would like to do to those father's jewels...turn them inside out comes to mind.

And yes..children should be taught from an early age what is appropriate and what is not.

I wonder how long that cat has a home until he gets fed up and does some damage.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
150% PRO S/N

Actually BM, that video is almost a year old. Kitty has probably been kicked to the curb already.

Old April 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Investigative researcher

My kids knew before they could walk that you do not pull, poke, or prod an animal. That you let them come to you, not the other way around. That you do nothing with them without permission from the attending adult. That you do not let them eat your food or push you around, either. Some folks understand very young children can and do think very well, even though they may not be able to talk for years yet.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Kitty pimp

ill trained bratty kid"

i agree the kid let him go for heavens sake and probaly knows the kitty doexnt like that lighten up folks
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
ill trained bratty kid"

i agree the kid let him go for heavens sake and probaly knows the kitty doexnt like that lighten up folks
Oh for pete's sake Jim Hall. We are allowed our opinions and take on this.

If you have children then you know very well kids understand right from wrong, and if they don't, then they should be told.

If the kid is not a brat now...he is surely on his way to be.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Im not understanding how you can gather so much from such a short video.

And the kid looks terribly confused when the cat actually gets into the water.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,I have no desire to watch the video,I'll just take your word for it,that from a cats point of view,it's not funny.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Compromised account

Just watched it again and still dont see the funny part...sorry.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Im not understanding how you can gather so much from such a short video.

And the kid looks terribly confused when the cat actually gets into the water.
I think the cat probably clawed him, and it hurt... No kidding he was confused.
We dont gather, we express what we think about something that the OP thought was cute and funny...then the OP asked us what WE think. So the opinions WERE solicited.

I see neither cute or funny, but instead I see a potential disaster, when the child will wonder, how would it be if he puts the cat in the fridge...or other ideas...And I see the adult (the one that is filming) laughing his head off...

I guess I SHOULD lighten up, but I can't. It just bugs the heck outta me.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
I think the cat probably clawed him, and it hurt... No kidding he was confused.
We dont gather, we express what we think about something that the OP thought was cute and funny...then the OP asked us what WE think. So the opinions WERE solicited.

I see neither cute or funny, but instead I see a potential disaster, when the child will wonder, how would it be if he puts the cat in the fridge...or other ideas...And I see the adult (the one that is filming) laughing his head off...

I guess I SHOULD lighten up, but I can't. It just bugs the heck outta me.
listen, i will admit i purposley post controversial topics (in respect to the forum) to just really pick your brains. i want to know what you guys think is ok or not, because, well, i obvously see things differently from you guys, and i'd like to take what i can for interacting with you guys and apply it to my own thoughts, see how it works out, etc..etc...
despite not thinking like you, obvously, i can tell when someone is jumping to (sometimes disrespectful) conclusions.

i mean, for example, someone wanted to turn the fathers' testicles inside out. how is that solving anything? how did punishing something with dire consequences fix what happened prior? you want to make a point right? well its understandable without making horrible statements.

lets hope the kid learns, and does not get scratched. that wont solve anything. (maybe if it did, the father wouldnt do anything besides give first aid? and learning from the situation himself?)

i respect the fact that you guys have seen a lot, but you cant let your thoughts be strongly influenced by past emotions.
some kids develope faster than others, some dont, some are normal, some are naturally bad towards animals without the intent, some are caring, etc.. etc..

i think its safe to say the kid was just curious, yes it was inconvenient for the cat, but it wasnt as bad as putting it in a dryer. the kid who did that, should have had supervision, no one should leave a kid with an animal if they are under 6(or are mentally unstable), even i know that.

"curiosity killed the cat"
well apparently, its killing the kid too lol.

btw, i said i thought that it was cute UNTIL the cat hit the water, i just love kittens, how they look, act, its awsome. especially their wtf reactions haha.
but that doesnt mean i go torturing them.

whos to blame? the father, why? because he didnt react correctly(or on time for that manner.)
but in all cases, please, dont blame the kid because he's not up to your own childrens' (or someone else's kids that you know) standards.

everyone learns on their own terms and their own ways, its what makes us who we are. im just bothered that you guys are saying he's gonna be bratty when he grows up. who's to say he will?

oh and 14+kittens

i ment im waiting for the 2 week mark to start and think "maybe he's dead" or "he's just consciously known all this time that we took him in to help him stand on his own two feet" (doubt it) or... "maybe he's lost"
all in all, i keep an eye out for him when im outside, i took a walk around, but i know cats can be found within a 3 mile radius of their houses, so its like finding a needle in sand... yes, sand. so when he's ready, he'll come back. just gotta stay optimistic.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Past emotions do influence present thoughts, SSS. Always will.

Opinions differ. Always will.

The video shows a great deal of irresponsibility by the father. He allows his son, under his supervision, to do something to a cat that could have caused both cat and child a great deal of trauma. The father learned nothing, because his child miraculously did not get hurt. And the child learned nothing because the father did not correct his misbehavior. The cat learned to associate children with something unpleasant. This is a lose-lose-lose situation...

This is why so few of us find it to be 'cute'? There's really nothing cute about it, even before the cat hits the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve
i ment im waiting for the 2 week mark to start and think "maybe he's dead" or "he's just consciously known all this time that we took him in to help him stand on his own two feet" (doubt it) or... "maybe he's lost"
Have you thought about actively looking for him? That would be the more responsible thing to do. You're gaining nothing by waiting two weeks and then giving up on him. What if he needs help somewhere?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
listen, i will admit i purposley post controversial topics (in respect to the forum) to just really pick your brains. i want to know what you guys think is ok or not, because, well, i obvously see things differently from you guys, and i'd like to take what i can for interacting with you guys and apply it to my own thoughts, see how it works out, etc..etc...
Good job!!! There are so many different ways to find out what we think is ok or not and to pick our brains. One of the best ways is to just ask us.

Old April 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Past emotions do influence present thoughts, SSS. Always will.

The video shows a great deal of irresponsibility by the father. He allows his son, under his supervision, to do something to a cat that could have caused both cat and child a great deal of trauma. The father learned nothing, because his child miraculously did not get hurt. And the child learned nothing because the father did not correct his misbehavior. The cat learned to associate children with something unpleasant. This is a lose-lose-lose situation...

This is why so few of us find it to be 'cute'? There's really nothing cute about it, even before the cat hits the water.

Have you thought about actively looking for him? That would be the more responsible thing to do. You're gaining nothing by waiting two weeks and then giving up on him. What if he needs help somewhere?
Thank you so much hazel for saying this. Seeing as SSS and I "got off on the wrong foot" I'm afraid to say anything to him as he may see it as being "nasty".
It would be so nice to see someone looking for this poor kitty.

Old April 17th, 2010, 01:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Very well put Hazel. I can bet that one day , the cat will "turn" on the kid , and who's going to suffer from this ? The cat will be the one who gets kicked out of the house.

I also did NOT find that video funny.
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

The father is mostly to blame as I see it. The fact that the kid did what he did makes me think he feels it's okay and his father has likely failed to show him any better.

If this were my husband, he would have needed a proctologist to get his camera back.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
If this were my husband, he would have needed a proctologist to get his camera back.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=Sew-sew-steve;908643]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8yn...ext=1&index=56

this is funny/cute to me lol.

seeing as how they are both around the same age(im guessing.)
the kid doesnt know any better, but it was cute seeing the cat going "no!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT funny/cute, nor amusing- cats don't like water and simply tolorate kids. It really breaks my heart to see any kind of animal abuse as they rely on us to take care of them, the cat was just being curious, did not want a people bath Sure the kid is an innocent victim in all of this as the camera was there, so, wasn't a natural event but more coaxed and rehearsed...my opinion of'course!

Last edited by muddmutt; April 17th, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: seperating original comment from my own.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:55 AM

"Past emotions do influence present thoughts, SSS. Always will.

The video shows a great deal of irresponsibility by the father. He allows his son, under his supervision, to do something to a cat that could have caused both cat and child a great deal of trauma. The father learned nothing, because his child miraculously did not get hurt. And the child learned nothing because the father did not correct his misbehavior. The cat learned to associate children with something unpleasant. This is a lose-lose-lose situation..."

i respect your opinion on this, you make a valid point.
i dont want anyone to think im FOR the video. it was bad(but not as bad as i thought it would be after some of the forum memebers' clarification.) like i said, anything a cat does i find cute, is that harmful? no.

also, i dont even know where to look for SSS. theres other cats around, so many houses around us that are unfinished, he could hide in any of them, i dont know where to look, how to look. im not giving up on him, i honestly believe he will come back. but im saying if he takes longer than two weeks, then i'd aknowledge the possibilities of this and that

Quote:
Thank you so much hazel for saying this. Seeing as SSS and I "got off on the wrong foot" I'm afraid to say anything to him as he may see it as being "nasty".
It would be so nice to see someone looking for this poor kitty.
well 14+, im way passed that. i know how you are, how you approach things to a certain extent. or atleast, i know enough of how you are to have felt a difference in the way you replied to this. it DID feel like you were holding back to be honest. like i said, its ok, say whatever you want, how you want. i wont be offended or anything, i've said it before (and so have you), its the way you are. nothing wrong with it.

only thing im against in this forum, is people making derogative statements, or being negative with things. theres things people DONT need to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Very well put Hazel. I can bet that one day , the cat will "turn" on the kid , and who's going to suffer from this ? The cat will be the one who gets kicked out of the house.

I also did NOT find that video funny.
good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
The father is mostly to blame as I see it. The fact that the kid did what he did makes me think he feels it's okay and his father has likely failed to show him any better.

thats basically what i've been saying (except for him being my husband).

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmutt View Post

NOT funny/cute, nor amusing- cats don't like water and simply tolorate kids. It really breaks my heart to see any kind of animal abuse as they rely on us to take care of them, the cat was just being curious, did not want a people bath Sure the kid is an innocent victim in all of this as the camera was there, so, wasn't a natural event but more coaxed and rehearsed...my opinion of'course!
from what i know, and read, some cats DO like water.

anyways guys, i dont want you guys to take this the wrong way. im not for the video, im against that the father didnt intervine. i wouldnt go heavy on the kid though, he's learning (be it negative or positive) and so am i.
i didnt realise how this could be a gateway to other things.

anyways, thanks for the replies, i appreciate you guys replying and being honest, i can see this in a different way as i did when i first posted