Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 7th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Unhappy Why does my cat vomit after every meal?

Hello Pet Lovers!

I am really hoping someone can help my poor kitty, Princess Leia.

PROBLEM: She vomits within 5-10 minutes after eating her food, currently "classic" Fancy Feast. Often, white foam will come out with the food. EVERY TIME she will then EAT her vomit (the undigested food) and will go back to her normal self.

Her poops and pees are normal and aside from the vomiting, she's happy, energetic, and has a good appetite.

BACKGROUND: She was the runt of her litter, is 5 years old, and is only about 2 kg (4-5 pounds) so she is tiny. 6 months ago, she stopped eating and had to have major surgery because her bile duct became blocked and calcified. The surgeons decided to permanently bypass the bile duct and said she would need regular B12 shots and pancreatic enzyme support for the rest of her life.

A few months after the surgery she seemed to return to her normal self and we've been giving her the enzymes along with occasional anti-naseua medication.

The vomiting started right after I ran out of the Fancy Feast food we had and I had to buy some cans of it at the local store. I suspected that the lot I purchased may have been bad, so I bought some more on Amazon and she still had the same problem.

We took her to the vet today and the vet could find nothing wrong with her from a cursory exam. She did not get blood or x-ray work done but I am thinking of taking her back for that or going to a different vet! LOL.

We love our kitty so much and want to help her stop vomiting!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Greg

Old June 7th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

How about trying a difference brand of cat food what you're feeding your cat is not that good.
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:22 PM

Barkingdog, thank you for the suggestion.

We have tried 2 or 3 other brands that are all natural that she used to be able to eat last year and she immediately vomits them up more quickly than the low-quality Fancy Feast. I have 3 other brands I got recently that I will try.
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM

Maybe she's eating too quickly? What if you fed smaller portions more frequently?
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:19 AM

Do you free feed kibble in between the wet food?
My cat is a grazer and is free fed kibble. He never vomits if he has food available 24/7.
If I allow his bowl to remain empty he seems to get too hungry and will vomit moments after eating.
Perhaps your kitty has similar issue?
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Yes, it seems like she is probably starving.

So I locked her in her room last night with a little bit of food packed with a lot of enzymes. She only ate a few bites during the night and had thrown up again when I let her out this morning. BTW, I lock her in her room at night so I don't have to clean up vomit throughout the house which became a regular event for me.

So now she's starving and as I was going to get her some other brand of food to try she's purring and rubbing all over my legs because she's happy to see me and she's starving :-) One of her water bowls was nearby and she drank from it and then less than a minute or two later she throws up - all the water and white foam.

As I understand it, this is bile that her stomach makes in preparation for food, but since there's no food she gets sick and throws it up.

Before her surgery, we kept dry food out for her 24/7 and she would graze throughout the day when she didn't have wet food.

After her surgery, we took away her dry food because she was on a strict diet.

I am guessing that maybe she is now healed up to the point where she needs her 24/7 dry food again.

So, per your suggestion I am going to try that. I just put out bowls of dry food in the spots she hangs out at in the house and also opened a can of wet food for her in her room.

I am expecting some more vomit until she gets used to the 24/7 food but we'll see how she does.

Thanks,
Greg

Old June 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Gee , this happen with my last dog , he started to vomit right after eating and he would wait till he was really hungry before eating . It turned out he had cancer and much had hurt to eat so he went along time not eating . I hope this is not the case with your cat. How is the cat poops are they normal looking ?
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:25 PM

Yes, the poops look normal as far as I can tell.
Old June 8th, 2016, 04:22 PM

Give the free feeding a try for a week or so and hopefully the vomiting resolves itself. If kitty is drinking plenty of water, maintaining weight and otherwise behaving normally I would avoid another vet visit for the moment. However if vomiting continues or kitty is losing weight, etc. something more serious is going on and you need to visit your vet for further testing.
I hope it's just the hungry pukes as I call them and nothing serious
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:43 PM

maybe emotional issue

I have a possible fix, this has worked in multiple cats for me and other people.
I had a cat do this for years, a vet suggested spending time with the cat every day always the same time, so I picked feeding time.
The vomiting stopped after 3rd day, and always came back if time and attention was missed.
Over a 15year period of time this worked every time on multiple cats.
Worked best for me in a reminder in my cell. "7:30 pm, 15 min goes just to kitty"
I don't know if it is a stress thing or what, but it worked.