Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Red face Loki

Hi,
Not long back from the vets, have just been told that my adored dog, Loki, has acanthomatous ameloblastoma . I found this site whilst looking up a bit more information about it, as basically my vet said that it was quite rare, removal of part of his jaw was one option. Very interested in the alternatives, though at present (as he has just had a lump removed) we are going to wait and see if another one grows. The vets think that Loki taking Atopica for a skin condition can make the acanthomatous worse, but if he stops taking it then he (and I) go crazy with his scratching.
Loki is 11, a chocolate labrador and I would be devastated if anything happened to him, but I am worried about putting him through such major surgery at his age. Has anyone else had a dog of his age go through this? Any help appreciated Thanks!!
Old July 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you read the options given in the two posts right before yours?
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:02 AM

Loki

Hi, thank you, I did, but it's my dogs age that I'm concerned about. The vet phoned last night and said that the Atopica people recommended not to use Atopica any more as tests showed it sped up tumours, though no tests had been done on benign ones, but whether it's surgery or radiation treatment, has it been performed on a dog of 11? Even the vet said that partial jaw removals they have performed have been on much younger dogs. Loki is a happy chappy at the moment and I am just praying that the tumour doesn't regrow so I have to make a decision
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I would use some of the supplement protocols mentioned in those posts, rather than remove the jaw of an 11 year old dog
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAngel View Post
Teddy's beautiful face....
That is a very beautiful face and very sweet looking too. I am sorry you have to even think of doing this to your beautiful dog.
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:00 AM

Hi,
Just to let you have an update on Loki, bless him, he's been in the wars recently. I took him to the vet last night with, wait for it, a sore eye, mysterious lump, sore ear, itching, and of course, the lump in his mouth. Because he is off his atopica his itching is terrible and so he has just been put on steroids to sort that out However, the vet said that they have been know to shrink cancer tumours (and will also sort out his ear - three operations on it so far this year ) His eye we were treating with Optrex, which the vet said was fine (would normally have gone to vet in first place, but was away from home visiting parents with him, he was completely spoilt rotten . The lump doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. His mouth tumour is currently fairly small and so it is being left alone, with the hope that the steroids will shrink it. Just to warn though, the steroids obviously have side effects, the main one being that they can, over time, cause liver failure Loki will be on them for life, but, as he's 11 now, the vet basically said he would be dead before that happened. Attached is photo of my baby boy on his hols just after he had been for a swim in the lake. He usually won't sit still for photos, and charged off seconds after this was taken!
Attached Images

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's a handsome gent for sure, Irishgirl1! Good luck with the steroid treatments! They do tend to make our dogs drink lots of water and pee frequently if they need to take them--but we've generally had good luck with steroid therapy. I hope you and Loki do, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Hang in there Loki! Wishing you the best of luck!