Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Potty Training Problems

I have a female 7 month old Yorkshire Terrier named Casey. I live in Alberta, Canada (terrible winters!) and live in a 2nd floor apartment.

I have Casey puppy pad trained and she does great... when I am home. Even if I am not watching her she will go pee/poo on her pad. I don't like to have her locked up all day (about 8 hrs, 4 days a week) in her tiny crate so I let her stay in the living room area when I am not at home. She's not a trouble maker, however, she likes to pee everywhere when I am not home! It's not even BIG pees, it's like miniature pees. I don't know if she's marking her territory, or if she's just simply bored? She pees on her pad ALL THE TIME when I am home, but as soon as I leave the house she forgets where to go.

Also, when she does go pee on her pad when I am home, I give her lots of praise and love, and a treat. Even if I don't notice she peed on her pad right away, she comes to ME to get her treat because she knows she did a good thing. Is she going pee wherever she wants because she knows I'm not home to give her treats/love?

Another concern I have is she still eats her poo! I thought she would grow out of that bad habit by now. She does this even when I am home if I don't catch it right away - she'll have it as a snack. Is there a way I can get her to understand that eating her poo is a bad thing?

Anyone have advice?
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
1st the wolf than the dog

I suppose this is the problem:

"Coprophagia - eating faeces Act:

The Coprophagia is a condition that causes the dog to eat feces. It's a hard habit to break because it constitutes in itself a reward, ie dog takes pleasure in eating their own feces. The causes and consequences of coprophagy may be more or less of a concern as the conditions in which the dog is kept and who choose to eat feces.

In most cases the coprophagia is merely a habit, looked upon by us with disgust, but no major implications for health care for the dog.

There are however, serious exceptions to this rule. The possibility of the dog eating feces for parasites is one. The issue focuses on the ingestion of feces of other animals, whether stray dogs or wild animals. But even the individual dog faeces can be deposited eggs of insects if they are not collected on time.
Another serious issue is the fact that the feces of dogs are a source of transmission of canine diseases such as parvovirus. That is, there are viruses that can be passed from one dog to another through ingestion of feces of sick dog.

The cat litter can look to the dog a way to get nutrients not found in your diet, but present in the feces of cats is a dangerous Toxoplasma gondii is responsible for toxoplasmosis.

We can differentiate several types of coprophagy:
a) Dogs that eat the feces of herbivorous animals. Common behavior to be observed in wild carnivores. Feces, such as horses, are
a source of microbial digestion products in addition to providing nutrients to the dogs.
b) dogs who eat cat feces. Common behavior of an unknown cause.
c) newly calved female dogs eat the feces of their pups. Although it is normal behavior can be misinterpreted.
d) Dogs that eat their own feces.
e) Dogs that eat the feces of adult dogs. The reason for this behavior is not well determined.
f) Dogs that eat human feces.
g) Dogs kept in kennels or public shelters more often individuals seem to exhibit this behavior.
h) cases mixed.

Some animals eat only their own feces, others just eat the feces of other dogs, others are looking for any type of feces and still others who only eat feces of other animal species. The causes that lead to a kind of coprophagy may not lead to another.

Causes:
Several hypotheses are suggested as causes of coprophagia, however no definitive answers. Some authors suggest that the reason for not setting
cause of this problem is due to the numerous possibilities that would normally involve this kind of behavior, and therefore a multifactorial problem.

1. Or metabolic deficiency disease
a) Dogs that eat feces of other animals can do so that they can be nutritious, palatable, and to cause fewer problems, or represent a snack enjoyed by the dog. Eating feces can not be repugnant to a dog and may represent a source of food.
b) Super Power: overload the digestive system by providing food and especially the basis of feed once a day can overwhelm the
digestive system and hence there is a poor digestion. Once the stool would present a high degree of undigested food. Later
hungry to feed the dog's own feces.
c) Low protein levels or insufficient food (hungry).
d) Diets rich in carbohydrates and fiber.
e) Deficiency in production of digestive enzymes by the dog.
f) parasites and malnutrition.
g) Chronic pancreatitis.
h) malabsorption syndrome.

2. Behavioral reasons
a) Maternal Instinct

There are several theories that attempt to explain what leads to the mother eating the feces of their offspring.

One of the most popular claims that the mother behaves this way to eliminate vestiges of their dogs. By removing the faeces, is to avoid predators discover signs of the existence of the litter.

The cleaning of the hole is advanced another reason. Confined to a small place, the mother eats the faeces of the litter to keep the place clean.

There is another explanation: that the mother wants to offset a poor diet by eating the feces of children.

b) anxiety due to environmental conflict. Environmental stress can contribute to several behaviors including coprophagy.

c) Dogs bored handling feces as a hobby. (Joke or play behavior)

d) The dog can be conditioned to eat feces to receive attention from the owner. The behavior may be reinforced by the emotional reaction of the owner "Do not do it and that meant Geek !!!!!!!!!" gain attention.

e) The stools seem to have a playful character and be rewarding, self-reward and be tasty.

f) Penalties excessive eliminations related to the dog. Dogs may eat feces to avoid punish the owners.

g) The distribution of erroneous sleeping space, food, defecate and urinate. Dogs that do not have enough space and are forced to defecate in your space
sleep, they take in their faeces to keep the area clean.

h) Separation anxiety. Dogs left at home without company for a long period of time eventually exhibit this behavior.
i) Vice behavioral reasons. Dogs confined or imprisoned are more likely to develop coprophagy than those in the human companionship
Most of the time. It seems that animals that leave the tour, receive more attention from the owner, are less isolated and toys wins this behavior may have diminished, relieved.

j) Wild Dogs hunting to feed themselves begin to feed by ingestion of abdominal organs including the gut and there contents. Hence the feces are not repugnant to the dogs.

k) Hereditary manifests itself at approximately 6-8 months. In such cases the behavior is considered normal, where to find nutrients in the waste represented
an adaptation process d evolution and domestication of the dog.

L) similarity with food

Again, poor diets with a low digestibility mean that the dog has to ingest a greater amount of food, so producing more stool. As the dog digests little feed, it is little changed by the body making the feces produced are similar to the feed it consumes. Why not see many differences between food and feces, the dog can create an appetite to eat them.

Solutions

Take the dog to the vet so he can disguise the presence of parasites and can advise on the most suitable diet for the dog.

If the dog is in good health, which only the vet can determine the solutions are usually by:
Feeding your dog a diet with high quality
Adjust the amount of feed to weight, race / size and age of animal
Clear daily where the dog cleans itself
Provide mental stimulation and physical exercise
Walking the dog on a leash to prevent the floor to catch the feces of other dogs
Choose other training techniques: where the dog is ready to eat feces, say "No" serious and distract him with a toy
Prevent the dog feces do at home, keeping a strict schedule of feeding (do not leave food on offer) and pass it in an hour that always tends to defecate.
Apply in feces products listed for this situation to cause aversion and discourage eating dog feces
Do not leave the dog alone for long periods of time. If you can not spend more time with him, get the dog company.

There are also some foods that once digested to give a feces smell and taste to which the dog dislikes: pumpkin, pineapple and spinach are some of these examples. Discuss with your veterinarian before giving to dog foods that are not part of the diet you have been advised.

Some owners say the dogs to mature spontaneously stop eating feces. This only applies to dogs that eat feces out of curiosity. Animals with an inadequate diet, for example, will continue to see the feces as a food supplement, unless the diet is changed.
http://www.youtube.com/v/nVUgSgFib_k

Prevention

Prevention is the best weapon against coprophagy as this is, as said, a difficult habit to change. Preventive measures are most important: a good diet, exercise and mental training appropriate to the age and breed of the dog and cleaning the area where the dog is."

From this way I put in bold what I condisere in my opinion the cause of that

Last edited by pick; April 8th, 2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: To put a little something write from me and put the commons from wich is not mine