Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Taking a dog on a trip

My hubby and I are thinking about a trip to Newfoundland. No date or details as of yet but I am already stressing over what would be the best thing for our dog. The thought of NOT taking him with us breaks my heart. (He is 2 years old, 100 lb)

Has anyone taken their dog on a long trip with them? We don't know if we would fly or drive. I am very nervous about taking him on a plane But he is a large dog and that's an awfully long car trip (of course we would stop to run and stretch, but still...) I think its about 24 hours drive if you don't stop.

Hubby has lots of family down there and they have already said he would be welcome.

Or would it be in HIS best interest to keep him at home? We are thinking of going for 2 weeks. I don't think I could bear to be away from him for that long. I don't know what to do. But whatever we decide will be what is in his best interest.

(Sorry, one more question: I have heard that dogs have no sense of how much time passes. I have a hard time believing this. Any opinions?)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it would depend on the dog. My parents dog couldn't go anywhere in the car. They would have to give him Gravol to calm his stomach. Daisy, on the other hand, will go anywhere. Cheryl has driven with her to Thunder Bay several times, and she's fine. She usually watches out the window until they get on the highway, then she lies down and sleeps. But she just loves the car, for the most part.

As for dogs having the concept of time...the way Daisy greets me when I come home from work, run down to get the mail and then come in again, I'm going to agree there. I have to remind her she just gave me a tongue bath 5 mins ago!
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Go by land and enjoy the scenery. Your Rotti would stress more being without the family..and the family would stress because of all the worry...

Who will have any fun?

Dogs travel all the time...I live and work in an RV resort in Florida...trust me..dogs travel well. So do cats and we even a pig snowbird.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband and I used to sometimes take our big dog on trips with us. He loved it,and was well behaved. We had no trouble finding motels who would allow him.

If you're driving and your dog is good in the car - bon voyage!!

Your dog will be happy wherever you are.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
owned by Tucker

If he travels well I'd say take him. We left my last dog at home when we went down east one year, I had a friend stay at my home with him and he refused to eat for the whole week we were there. He would only eat treats or human food that she gave him. He lost a few pounds and sulked the whole time we were gone. He didn't travel that well and my in-laws already had 3 male and one female dogs there so I didn't want to add one more.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

We like to take Daisy when we can, but we've gone away a few times and not been able to take her. We did go away once for two weeks, and were both missing her pretty bad. But we left her at the vet (who also used to do our doggy day care), and they love her, and she loves them. That made it easier. We're now about an hour and a half away, but we still take her there because she loves it there. When we pull in thier driveway, her tail starts wagging and she starts whining.

But I digress. I agree, if you can take him, do it. If he's fine in the car, so much the better. That will be less stress for you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip more. But if you do have to leave him, find a kennel you really trust, and he seems to like. You could have a "trial" run. See if they'll take him for doggy daycare a few times. That should give you an idea of how he'll be.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:46 PM

LOL Schwinn funny mental image. But don't you think a dog would notice if "Mommy and Daddy" were gone for 2 weeks? And get depressed? And not eat? LOL I am well aware that I am a PARANOID FREAK when it comes to my baby!!!
BTW: Is there a max. weight for a dog on a plane? And how secure are the kennels? Herc chewed his way out of his kennel at the vet when he got neutered and was under sedation! He ate all the food and terrorized the poor kitties that night! (sorry off topic)

He is good in the car. Has grown out of his puppy car sickness. Any other thoughts on whether to take him or not?
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Just read Karin and LR. Thank you thank you. Thats what I want to hear I really can't imagine leaving him behind
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM

We just took our dog on a long car trip, because we couldn't bear the thought of leaving him. We both have small cars, so we rented a minivan (with the removable back seats), put his crate back there, a bed and a water dish. He had a blast, he wandered around, slept in his crate, and played in his "bed". It was sooo cute he would sit on the "bed" (donut style) and look out the windows, play with his "mousey". He really had a blast. We stopped fairly frequently at the big rest stops and let him (on a long lead) run around, play with a tennis ball etc... It took a little longer to get there, but for us it was well worth it!!
(PS- we "negotiated" with numerous car rental places, until we got them to agree to unlimited km's... hehe )
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottimom
LOL Schwinn funny mental image. But don't you think a dog would notice if "Mommy and Daddy" were gone for 2 weeks? And get depressed? And not eat? LOL I am well aware that I am a PARANOID FREAK when it comes to my baby!!!
BTW: Is there a max. weight for a dog on a plane? And how secure are the kennels? Herc chewed his way out of his kennel at the vet when he got neutered and was under sedation! He ate all the food and terrorized the poor kitties that night! (sorry off topic)

He is good in the car. Has grown out of his puppy car sickness. Any other thoughts on whether to take him or not?
He would be caged in the baggage hold of the aircraft. In your kennel, that you supply. The compartment is pressurized at the same rate of the passenger cabin.
You will need a "letter of acclamation" along with current vax records from your vet.