Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old October 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Thank you to the Pets.ca family!!

This thank you is long overdue for sure -- and I've been really wanting to post it for quite some time. Now that I'm able though, I am finding it hard to find the words.. so bear with me!

As most of you know by now - my family & I have recently lived through one of the worst natural disasters to ever strike the continental United States -- Hurricane Katrina. No one could ever have been prepared for what we had to face on August 29, 2005 -- or for what we had to endure afterwards. Forty-eight hours after the storm passed and the water receded we all found ourselves in various stages of panic, despair, and exhaustion. Totally alone, we realized that something was amiss and the, for lack of a better term, 'traditional' modes of rescue and recovery just were not going to be available. When we finally were able to get a cell phone signal out we still had one huge problem: Who could we call? Who could help? Who could get the word out that we weren't getting the help we needed? Well.. I thought of you. I thought of pets.ca and all of the people I have met here -- all of the people who held our hands and hugged us over huge distances when we lost our puppy and celebrated with us when we found Judge. That's when I called my mother-in-law and asked her to come to this site and post... I wasn't sure why or how -- but I knew that if anybody could help, it would be you.

And I wasn't wrong. So many of you have been absolutely incredible. Marko & David -- thank you for allowing the use of your forum to ask for help & donations! Thank you to all of you who have responded with much needed cash & items for my family and our community. Thank you to everyone who donated to relief organizations or has volunteered their time to help those in need. If you donated to the Red Cross, please know that ultimately they have helped us a great deal -- with an emergency monetary grant, with food and snacks for the kids, providing the tetanus shot when I stepped on a nail, and with wonderful, cheerful volunteers who still tirelessly patrol our neighborhood giving out what they can even when their supplies run low. Thank you.

For all of the notes of encouragement -- I read them all and needed them all exactly when I got them -- Thank you. For all of the prayers and wishes and generally good vibes -- Thank you.

At a time which could have been nothing but dark and dismal -- we were all encouraged knowing that so many of you had not forgotten us... And still on our very worst days we find it brightened by an unexpected letter, a box of clothes and toys, a postcard from South Carolina (thanks, chico! ) or some other act of random kindness generated by you. Thank you. And of course, a thousand thanks to Luba and her family for taking care of all of us from a thousand miles away. Much love and gratitude to you, Luba.

My two boys have decided they may move to Canada someday. I warn them that it gets pretty cold up there...but they tell me they'll be okay cause they have friends up there to help keep them warm. I couldn't put it any better than that.

-- Anita, Dave, George, William, Yvonne, Emily & our furry family members: Judge, Katrina, Sunny, Sahara, & Jo.

**We discovered well after the storm why some recovery efforts were delayed....**
Attached Images

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I can't express to you how wonderful it feels to have been able to help you from these thousands of miles away.

To feel helpless and unable to do anything is the worst feeling in the world, but to muster up your own brave face and give chase to things to get stuff done is so rewarding.

Knowing any little bit can help in some way, getting discouraged in others but knowing full well how any act or gesture of kindness and love is received by you...is so much more then just worth it.

Your boys are welcome to move here, I could use the extra boy power to help clear this long driveway of snow in the winter There are extra shovels to go around.....and around!!

I too am thankful to Marko and Dave for the use of this forum, without it things would have been more difficult and less donations would have been received, as well as less support.

THANK YOU everyone a hundred times and more over!

Pags, you are a dear friend and in some odd way fate brought us together on this site to meet as friends. I am so very greatful and blessed to have met you! I feel like I've gone through so much with you the past two months....

So much so that I'd like to say Happy 2 Month Survival anniversary to you and the family!! You've made it, you ARE making it you WILL make it!!!

You can add Tommy to your family list, I haven't given up on finding him yet you know! You just never know who's watching or reading all these things I'm posting!! Those guys are gonna have a run for their money, or atleast be forced to trade in their BMW. LOL

Love your pal
Luba and my entire family!!!
((HUGS))
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww, Pags, it's wonderful to hear from you!!! And my eyes welled up with tears when I read what your boys said. They can come visit me and the kitties anytime. We'll feed them lobster and good old fashioned east coastfood and hospitality. We have some students from your area who have transferred to our univ after Katrina (I was going to say the storm but calling Katrina a storm is rather akin to terming the Titanic a tug boat) and they plan to stay too. You never know where life will take you and sometimes the journey is the ultimate teacher.

Take care of yourself and yor family!! And we won't give up on Tommy either!!!

Old October 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM

It's funny that up here, most of us would take our harsh winters over hurricanes, but a while back Karin said hurricanes were easier... I don't know about that anymore... Thank you Luba for organizing everything on this side. Without you, nobody would have been able to help.
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Now thats an odd thought though I've thought about it myself, hurricanes vs blizzards?

I don't even want to think about it really..... *sigh* lets all just hope we ALL stay safe!

I hope Karin is okay!

Thanks Prin, the support on here as been remarkable and very very compassionate. Anyone can see that just reading through the threads you guys and gals are all awesome
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM

OH yes!! That's what I was forgetting up there! Karin was in the path of Wilma, correct? I hope we all hear from her soon. ((((((hugs)))))) wherever you are, Karin. Love and luck in your direction.

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Kitty Consort

Pags, how wonderful to hear from you! It was great to read an update on your family, and as Prin says, we owe special thanks to Luba for bringing things all together.
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM
owned by Tucker

Pags you are welcome, and its good to hear from you again. I'd rather my cold weather here than your hurricanes there. Especially after what you went through. I'm glad to hear that life is slowly returning to normal as normal can be. Well keep in touch now that you can.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Pags,you had me all teary-eyed and mushy too....you and your family have survived a terrible ordeal,but I think it has streghtened your love for each other and your determination to work towards a"normal"life again.
I am loaded with admiration for all of you and your sons are welcome to come here any time they want.
Also,I like to mention Luba,who is an exceptional person and who did everything she could to get a relief-effort started.She is the kind of person we all wish to have by our side,should something terrible ever happen to us,she is one in a million or probably ten million :love:
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh some very kind and thoughtful words from a wonderful bunch of people.

It's awkward reading things about yourself but makes you feel all warm and fuzzy at the same time. So, thank you truly from the bottom of my heart.

I wouldn't have done any less, only sometimes we all wish we could do so much more.

Pags you are a dear dear friend of mine, and I hope that will always be!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm just reading this. Have to add just a few.

HIP HIP HURRAY!

All the comments are so well deserved!