Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM

Raising a BLIND dog.

Hi everyone,
Looking for some opinions. I have been in search of an English bulldog and in searching I have come across an American Bulldog puppy that is blind and in search of a home.
The little darling is completely pulling at my heart strings...but I am afraid he may be too much work for us.
Does anyone know or have you had experience rearing a blind animal?
I have to say from his pictures he is a handsome man and I hope he does find a loving home either with us or someone more qualified to love him.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM

Let him go to a more qualified owner! IMHO
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM

So you feel this is a big task? He isn't completely blind. The rescuers think that he can see shadows since he doesn't run into things. He is the runt of his litter at 7 weeks old he is weighing about 8lbs.
I am hesitant, thus my asking questions...as I said he breaks my heart but I am afraid I would be adopting him for the wrong reasons.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM

Do you have lots of experience with dogs?
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I know a woman with a blind rottie pup. Yes, it is a bit more work, but very rewarding. There are support groups out there with hints on training, etc. If you want, I'll see if I can get the links.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

blind dogs can be trained just as well as normal seeing dogs, and they can be jsut as lovely. we went to dog school with blind poodles and they learned very well.. BUT it does take alot of work and patience. if you dont have experience with dogs i would suggest you dont get him, will be a lot of hard work and you need experience to make it work properly and you want him to have the best chances ever..think long and hard and do some research into what he will need, such as how your house will have to change (furniture moved), making space etc and training. it will be a very hard but rewarding job, it is not a decision to be taken lightly. and dont adopt him out of guilt or sadness, that is the wrong reason. so get thinking, researching and talking and let us know what you decide
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM

Amen to that!!!
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:31 PM

We raised boxers in the past so we have the experience, but have been without a large dog for a few years. So beyond the blindness there is also that concern. I have read in the past couple of days that American Bulldogs can be quite large. Comparable to a boxer yet wider in the chest and weightier. I think my head is making this decision for me, I just have to convince my heart that we aren't the best thing for this little guy. Perhaps there is someone on here that is interested??? Finding a pet comes with alot of thinking, or at least I believe it should. Especially when it is a life long committment.
Thanks everyone for helping me to think out loud.
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, American Bulldogs can be very large - 100lb is not unusual. As for this dog being blind - blindness is easier for dogs to cope with than deafness, as sight is the least important sense to a dog.

You might want to take a look around this site:

Blind Dogs
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:04 PM

if you have alot of experience and you know what ur doing then go for it!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Yes, American Bulldogs can be very large - 100lb is not unusual. As for this dog being blind - blindness is easier for dogs to cope with than deafness, as sight is the least important sense to a dog.

You might want to take a look around this site:

Blind Dogs
They can be that large, but they can also be on the smaller size too. My mothers is about 40-50 lbs and only about 15 inches high at the back, but she is a female. Beware of other defects though, my mother's dog has alot of problems - mostly joint related, she's also had 3 tumors removed, she's 5 yr old.

My Mom's dog is also pretty dumb (seriously - we love her, but I've never met a more stupid dog ) But I don't think that is typical of the breed - just bad breeding - breeder was a BYB.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

15 inches high? That is a dwarf, since the standard calls for at least 19 inches.

Your mom's dog must be mix. Are you sure it's not a pit bull?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Raising a blind dog is not as hard as you think. They adapt really well and even more so it they were born blind. There are some great sights for help with training. My dog (English Mastiff) is partially deaf from abuse and he has adapted so well and has been so easy to train I was surprised, mind you he is really smart, my opinion. American Bulldogs do have health issues but really name a breed that doesn't. First off don't feed large or giant breed dogs puppy food it makes them grow too quickly and there bones and joints don't have time to develop properly. This will hopefully save you a lot of money in the future on vet bills. It sounds like you have experience, boxers are a handful and you have trained them, Am. Bulldogs are really sweet as well and from the ones I have met very much like boxers only not as hyper. One of the things you have to remember is that you can't move furniture and things around. Stairs are not an issue they adapt really well. Wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
15 inches high? That is a dwarf, since the standard calls for at least 19 inches.

She's not a mix - as my father had her sister (from the same litter) and she was perfectly breed standard - but Milly, Mom's dog, has lots of problems - so it is likely that the height is all part of the same problem, she has the coloring of a rottie, but she's as wide as she is high. They say 2 dogs can father 1 litter - maybe that's what happened. Oh and she looks nothing like a pit bull jk

Here's a pic of her, it's about 3 years ago - she's a little wider than this now.
Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You're funny Lucky!! I was actually going to make the same comment. The size does seem VERY small! The american bulldogs that I know are all at least 100 lbs. That's interesting....she looks very rottie, guess it's just the markings....Don't know for sure, but isn't it possible that bitches can be impregnanted by different dogs at the same time and deliver in teh same litter. I might have no idea what I'm talking about...
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:52 PM

Blind animal

Hi
I have a cat that went blind at six months old. He is a little more work as we have to watch out when we move the furniture and he get disoriented when he is walking right by our feet, if we stop walking he usually doesn't know where he is in the house.
He is a lot more loveable than other cat though, maybe because he is more depended on us.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Black and tan is NOT acceptable colour for AmBulls. That dog looks nothing like one.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Black and tan is NOT acceptable colour for AmBulls. That dog looks nothing like one.

Doesn't it look like a Rottie??
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Rottie has my vote,or at least part rott
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
Don't know for sure, but isn't it possible that bitches can be impregnanted by different dogs at the same time and deliver in teh same litter. I might have no idea what I'm talking about...
Lucky is this really possible??
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:10 PM

Thank you for the link to the blind dog site, it was very informative. The stories on there were worth the read too. I have learned alot and have emailed one of the ladies that had written in for a more personal take, and more information as well.
My husband is due home this evening so I am going to talk it over with him and together we can decide.
Does anyone on here know much about American Bulldogs, having owned one or known someone that has????
Now I have another question, the rescuer thinks he is going to be small, since at 8 weeks he is only around the 8-10lb mark? What do you guys think. Oh and she also said he was about half the size of the other puppies, she keeps refering to him as the runt.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, puppies in one litter can have different fathers. This dog is definitely not a pure AmBull - maybe the mother was, but the father wasn't.

Judging by the small size, I still think a pit bull snuck under the fence one night. Pit bulls can have that Rottie colouring too. Backyard breeders aren't always picky about who studs their dogs.

Whatever she is, she is very beautiful!

Bullilover, sorry to get off topic. We adopted out a blind husky to a couple. They are thrilled with him and love him, and it's difficult to even tell he is blind!

IF you want to talk about Amer. Bulldogs, go to this message board. A wealth of knowledge there!
Molosser Talk
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Do you have any takes on how big this puppy may be based on what the rescuer is telling me. She said he is about half the size of his siblings???
She thinks his sight affected hie nurishment as a puppy, perhaps not being able to see to nurse.
These little guys are a rescue from a guy that was milling American Bullies.
According to her the reason he is blind is because someone opened his eyes before they were ready. Or that was the vets opinion.
Thios guy could possibly get his sight back too.
I am not counting on that though.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:23 PM

The picture is of the mother right? Sorry, I am a bit confused
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Bullilover, I have a friend that has an american bulldog he is very sweet but he is rather large 118. Being the runt does not always mean that he will be the smallest. I have found that with large and giant breeds they have very erratic growth spurts they will gain a couple of pounds and the next month they will gain 15. I imagine that he will fall in the normal range for these guys.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their time and help in our decision. Especially for the link to the Blind Dog site as well, it was a huge help.
After much research (and still doing more) my family and I have decided that we are going to rescue this handsome little man. We know that there is a long road ahead of us, but we have lots of love and a wonderful home to give, and this little guy just needs a chance to spread his wings and fly.
Now we just have to decide on a name for him, and await his arrival.
My hubby was thinking Dozer...
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!!! Thanks to you and your family for helping this little guy find his forever home. He will take a lot of loving care and patience!! Please continue updating us on your progress!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:30 AM

Thank you, I wasn't getting his pic to post, I think I have it now.
I am reading over websites and contacting people that have raised blind puppies, I have become a sponge for all the knowledge I can.
I will definately keep you posted on both our growth and development.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for taking this little baby, there are not alot of people that would want to help him. You really are an angel! CONGRATS is in order!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, puppies in one litter can have different fathers. This dog is definitely not a pure AmBull - maybe the mother was, but the father wasn't.

Judging by the small size, I still think a pit bull snuck under the fence one night. Pit bulls can have that Rottie colouring too. Backyard breeders aren't always picky about who studs their dogs.
Well that's what we always thought - but all the other pups were pretty much breed perfect, she was the only one that was different. I know that the 2 fathers is possible - but isn't it unlikely as both have to breed the bitch within a sort period of time? Maybe the rest just took after the bitch and Milly's a daddy's girl Oh well - doesn't really matter - Mom loves her to death anyway.

Congrats Bullilover he's gorgeous!