Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old July 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Aw heidi! I'm sorry.. I hope the little bugger pulls through this -- is just having a rough time. I know how attached my mom gets to her fish (and I know how I would be if I had one!!) She is sure people would think she's nuts so I'm the only one she talks to about it... (But her fish knows her voice - I swear to you. He HATES me and puffs up like I'm a giant beta in his territory... but he swims to mom's fingers and looks like he'd like to be petted.)

Good luck with the little guy. I hope this is just one of those passing things!!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks,i swear he does know me to,i got him the day i had to drop off my gsd to his new home,so it makes him somewhat special to me...I hope he does to
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. You may be able to take him to a pet store and ask if they have any ideas as to whats wrong with him. usually a pet store will have at least one person on the staff who can at least diagnose if it's a treatable desease. Some vets will treat fish, you could try that. You could look up the info and try a salt bath, but like I said I'v never done that before so I don't know a whole lot about it.

I get very attached to my fish. My betta recently died :sad:. but he was old I had him for about a year and a half and he was probably a year old when I got him.

Once I had a saltwater fish tank, I had this clown fish that I just loved named gypsy, she would follow my finger around the glass and actully let me pet her. I would put my finger in the top of the tank and she would rub up against it, she was the only fish I ever had that did that. I used to feed them frozen brineshrimp from a net. Well they would get all excited and swim into the net, one day gypsy swam into the net and I didn't see her so the next day I go to feed them and I found that I had killed her. I cried for hours, I felt so bad. After that I was paranoid about the net everytime I feed them.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Oh Jackie!!!!!! That made me cry!!!! I'm so sorry!!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

That is sad,i'm sorry....You know when i read that it said they should be in a 3 gallon tank,mine is in a one gaalon tank,and when u go to pestmart they are in a cup..I dont get it...
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I actully miss that fish a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
You know when i read that it said they should be in a 3 gallon tank,mine is in a one gaalon tank,and when u go to pestmart they are in a cup..I dont get it...
Mainly a larger tank is perferred because a one gallon can't accomadate a heater, and bettas need warm water.

They are kept in cups at the store because it's only temporary until they get a home, and it wouldn't make sense to have 50 3 gallon tanks all over. But I still don't agree with this, I think they should be at least kept in a gallon of water at the store. Unfortunately that is why many bettas you buy at places like petsmart are sick, or have lowered immune systems. The place I buy my fish is a fish and reptile specialty store so they don't have many bettas and keep the ones they do have in two gallon tanks, plus since it's a fish and reptile store they keep the temp pretty high in the store eliminating the need for heaters in the betta tanks.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat

Last edited by Jackie467; July 28th, 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It is sad,i hate going there seeing that,my god it is the size of a coffee cup/./I never knew they needed a heater,he has never had one....
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
It is sad,i hate going there seeing that,my god it is the size of a coffee cup/./I never knew they needed a heater,he has never had one....
It is possible that because he didn't have a heater his immune system slowly lowered allowing him to get a sickness. If the water conditions are not at their optimum it stresses the fish out lowering their immune system so that they eventully get sick. Most fish are very sesitive to the water conditions.

I had this happen to me in my large tank not long ago. My nitrite levels got too high (my fault for missig a water change) and it stressed my fish so badly I had an outbreak of ich. Luckly I got it treated and only lost one fish to it.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I will check out the heaters i did get the conditioner
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

This Is Hard To Write,last Night He Was Not Moving I Moved The Tank A Little And He Started Trying To Swim And Was Just Like Flipping Over And Over And Went To The Bottom Of The Tank He Is Now Laying On His Side,i Believe He Is Slowly Dying And I Dont Know What To Do???????????????has Not Eaten At All That I Have Seen Either In 4 Days
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
-

How hot is the water? Some fish will become less/more active depending on the temp. Go back to the reg diet.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, I don't know that there is a lot more you can do. It may just be his time. You can try a vet but most people don't take their fish to vets because there usually isn't anything a vet can do. Maybe you can try a special treat (like the blood worms) to see if that will at least get him to eat something.

I'm really sorry. It's hard to see a pet sick no matter what it is. Sometimes even worst with a fish because there isn't a lot that can be done even by vets.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Heidi I am so sorry,but I think at this stage there is not much more you can do,it's sad,but I believe he's dying...maybe you did nothing wrong,maybe it's just his time to go,anyway
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Heidi,
Im sorry but my guess is he is just old.
Most of the nice big well developed males you get in
pet stores are already 2-3 years old, they are usually retired breeders.
The only way to make sure you get a young betta is to go through
actual betta breeders.

"Only a fish"- well fish are very complex creatures actually.
They are highly intelligent, have very long memories,
and can feel pain. Flushing a live fish down the toilet is
cruel, as once the fish hits the septic field or sewer, they die
an extremely painful slow death in the toxic waste.
You should always return fish to pet stores if you dont want them anymore.
For sick fish you can properly and painless euthanize them the same as a dog or cat- but with clove oil 1 part to 5 parts water well mixed, fish goes to sleep and dies painlessly. - this is for only very ill or wounded fish you cannot save by medical treatments.
Some fish have been proven to be able to remember a school mate or sibling 10+ years after being seperated from them!
Having kept a lot of fish now, and some very intelligent ones such as
angelfish, loaches, and gouramis, I would say fish are much more intelligent than we give them credit for. Watch them often enough and you can even see them problem solving!
I love all my fish, I cry each and every time one dies. It is no different than losing any other pet for me.
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM

heidiho

I'm so sorry to read your last post. I see you haven't been back since that, I hope that isn't a bad sign....any update hun?
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I dont have a computer at home,well i tried,i called the petstore she said it was probably the chlorine told me i could get medflix{not usre if that is what it was called}it is like a tea tree oil,told me to out in tank and it could bring him back,it was to late he was floating upside down and sinking to the bottom of the tank ,it was horrible he did hang in there for days,i did call back and ask if icould bring him there cause i could not dlush a breathing creature either ,they said ok.She said it would be like us breathing in chlorine,ifeel horrible how he must have been suffering..Thanks everyone.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You were on pets.ca asking for help and you did all you could.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM
-

What is your routine when you feed. Do you remove the food if he hasn't eaten it shortly after feeding or do you leave it. If you leave it, is there any way that he is eating when you are not watching.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I am a clean freak,so yeah i only put in a few pieces of food and if they are not eaten i do take them out,i just feed in the morning and when i get home.I did get a new guy,he is all whit with a red tail,,
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I know this is an 'old' thread and the problem is sorted out by now, but when my fish did that I would massage them a little and it would kind of bring them round. I guess I didn't leave my water long enough to sit before changing the fish.

Hope it all ended happily!
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I'm sorry, just read ALL the posts properly - Sorry for your loss. If it happen's again with your new fish try massaging them, as well as water solutions that help keep the water free of chemicals etc, etc.
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:05 PM
-

When you touch a fish like that you remove their protective slimy coating. Their scales will be damaged and chemicals and other contaminants from your hands get deposited onto them.
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah he was very bad off ,i do not understand how you would massage a fish???I took him to petsmart,did not know what else to dso,he was trying to swim and would go upside down it was really bad..
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm sorry heidiho. for some reason this thread never came up in new posts for me until now. I'm sorry to hear about his passing. I know what you mean about flushing a breathing fish. My stepdad told me to just flush my sick fish, but there was no way I could do that to a living being.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

No way could i do that,everyone told me to,he was still alive,that is sick,wasnt gonna do it..He hung in there for over a week,i bought that stuff i mentioned earlier,forgot the name,the girl said if he wasnt to far off,it could make him better,it did not..It was a horrible thing to watch........I did get another fighting fish he is white with a red tail,still not the same,i know it is a fish,but i swear my other fish,had a totally different way about him,this one seems very high strung,i guess he will adapt/