Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 9th, 2014, 12:57 AM

Weird rash on tips of ears

Hi everyone,

I noticed tonight that my dog has weird white flaky skin on the tips of his ears. It doesn't seem to be itchy at all or bother him in the slightest. If I scratch or pull at the fur gently it falls out, along with the white tubular type stuff. If anyone has any idea what this could be I would greatly appreciate it.

There is only a small area on each ear and I'd like to prevent it from spreading.

Thanks,
Kait
Attached Images

Old March 9th, 2014, 12:58 AM

Another picture

Here is a picture of his ear
Attached Images

Old March 9th, 2014, 11:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Given the cold winter, could he have gotten his ears frostbitten? (Although that doesn't look too typical of what I've seen in frostbitten ears...)

Frankly, I think I'd be heading for the vet sometime in the near future just to set my mind at ease. Hair loss and flaky skin can be a sign of hypothyroidism or other metabolic disorder, among other things, and it's always best to catch that stuff early.

Welcome to the board, btw. And if you have time and more pics to share, we'd love to see the rest of your dog!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, I looked on my boyfriends dog and she has a little bit of the same. It could definitely be frostbite and that's what I've been hoping it is. They're both outside a lot, even in the cold. I'm going to call the vet and ask them about it.

Here's a picture of Nixon
Attached Images

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:52 AM

He loves Starbucks!

His first maple machiatto
Attached Images

Old March 10th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you really giving your coffee? That is very bad for dogs. http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/201...onous-to-dogs/
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Nixon is too cute, Kwhite!

Our dogs occasionally get a tongue in our coffee or tea, Barkingdog, and as long as they don't overdo, it doesn't seem to affect them at all. They don't get it often or very much and we always hope they don't get any till it's almost gone, cuz we usually can't drink anymore once it's been 'spittled up', so to speak!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:33 PM

Your dog is gorgeous btw..

But anyway, my dog had this the other day, because my other dog chewed his ears while playing outside. I took him to the vet and he said it was probably a really small frost bite and the fact that the other dog chewed on it, it made it worse..

He didnt gave me any medication to put on, or anything, so I don't think it's nescesary to bring yours to the vet. Anyway, if it gets worse, vet ASAP. But for now, just keep an eye on it
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a thing called ear tip vasculitis, which has various causes, but frostbite, if the weather is cold enough around you, would make a lot of sense.