Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM

Unhappy Dog wetting bed but NOT URINE!?

Hi, I have a 4 year old, healthy, spayed female doberman. Occasionally (maybe 3-4 time a year) she will soak her bed (or mine if she's napping there) as if a large glass of water was dumped on the bed. The mystery is that 1) she is a well-trained animal and not subject to incontenance; 2) the liquid does not appear to be urine: it doesn't smell, is not yellow. It APPEARS to be clear water!

Originally I thought she might be licking or salivating in excess to cause the wetness, but last night it happened while I was laying in my bed reading. She was at the foot of my bed. She got up to bark at something and I felt a very soggy area where her rear had been. I blotted it immediately with a towel and it was clear and odorless.

Any clues?? Again, this does NOT appear to be urine.

Thanks!
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Mine does it to

Thinksfunny,

Mine female aussie shepherd does it too. I have only recently noticed it over the last few months. Have you figured anything out??
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if she has a condition that afflicts spayed females, it is in fact incontinence, something to do with hormones? It can be controlled with medication. Might be worth checking out.
PS This is a very old post. You might want to start a new thread, with more details.
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Pet wetting bed

Yes, it IS an old post. And it turns out is IS urine (though very pale and no odor), and it IS a condition which affects spayed female dogs. I now have TWO girls that do it... What are the odds that both dogs, one 9 years old and the other just over a year, would develop this problem?

It is "solved" by medication - either a steroid or another drug - neither of which are risk-free. If your dog is doing this, be sure to take her to the vet for confirmation and diagnosis. The medication is usually given daily for the first five days, then reduced to once a week as long as the problem persists. My older dog was on medication for about 2 years, then the problem seemed to stop by itself. According to the vet, it can come and go.
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM

Can I ask what the condition is called?
My spayed boxer is eight years old and for the last couple of weeks she has had this problem of wetting her bed early in sleep- even after being taken outside only an hour before bed- when she normally only messes in the house when she is sick and never in her bed, always by a door.
Her bedding is dark blue so its been difficult to detect color, but it is odorless and when blotted does not appear to have much color to it at all.
I'm planning on taking her to the vet as soon as I can, she seems very embarrassed when she wets the bed, and I want her to be comfortable again
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Senior Contributor

It's called 'spay incontinence'. Good luck with your girl.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, mine does too ... leaves a wet spot on her bed that is, but it's because she drools in her sleep like her "mom"
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Mine does it too! I discussed the drugs with my vet but decided not to go that route. I find the summer (because she drinks more water in the heat) and after exercise to be the worst times, although the older she gets (she is now 10.5) it seems slightly worse.
I have her couches covered with a plastic tablecloths and thick terry towels for those inevitable accidents, and just wipe up whatever I find on the floor!