Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Another Newbie To This Site...

My wife and I had a medium length haired cat when we first married almost 12 years ago. Unfortunately, my wife started having runny eyes and congestion during her first pregnancy and the doctor told her she had developed an allergy to our cat so we found him a good home.

Two years ago we got ourselves an Abysinian. We got her from a breeder. We spent an hour or so at the breeder who had about a dozen cats, and my wife had no apparent reaction. So we decided to get one and she has been great.

Our 6 year old son started asking for a dog over a year ago. Because we had dog sat my fathers dog, a mutt who shed all over the house, made my wife have an allergy reaction, we wanted a dog that shed the least and gave her the best chance of not having a reaction.

Unfortunately, one morning last January, I woke up to find our cat hissing at me when i picked her up. Not long afterwards, my wife ask why she was walking on three legs. it turned out that during the night, she had broken her hind leg in, not one, but three places. We still don't know how. So that put our dog buying off till she was healed.

last June/July, we got ourselves a standard poodle. he was 18 lbs when we brought him home. he's black and my son named him Chester. He's black and he will be 1 year next month. He's 85 lbs and plays well with my kids and has a pretty good temperament. He does the standard sit, paw and lie down routine and walks well on a leash around our neighborhood. A groomer not long ago thought he was large for his breed and everything I've read, except for the AKA etc.., seems to be stats copied from the AKA or other standards like that. As long as my wifes OK and he's good with my kids, thats what counts.

At the dog run, he plays well, runs and generally has a good time with the other dogs. He just does not want to leave. after an hour when i want to go, he makes it difficult to get him. he'll keep his distance from me and bark like he wants to play. i have my tricks a to leave when someone else does and he often will follow and I'll put his leash on. sometimes i sort of have to chase him and eventually he can tell from my tone of voice I'm upset with him because his tail goes down and eventually he'll stop and sit when i tell him to. his head will go down like he's pouting because he knows I'm mad at him.

It's funny because I can walk him in front of my house at 10 or 11 pm for a pee, before I go to bed, without a leash and he listens no problem.At the dog run, I guess he just wants to stay, even if everyone else has gone, even after an hour.

He also has not had a hair cut in 4 months, but he's going in a couple of weeks. I like him with the longer hair, and a lot of other people tell the same.
He's more cute.

So, if anyone has any recommendations concerning the raising of an 85 lbs standard poodle and its grooming. please let me know. I am even considering getting a clipper to groom him myself, but the lack of experience makes me nervous. more so around the face, not so much underneath as he's not the man he used to be.

Last edited by ROD; March 27th, 2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: gramar
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

welcome! I think there's a few members who have/or have had standard poodles, so I'm sure you'll get some great advice here. When you are able to, we'd love to see pics of Chester & your cat too.
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Rod!

We used to groom our springer by ourselves because she hated going to the groomer. But we didn't give her a standard cut--she was too hot-blooded and too much of a tomboy for that to be practical--so we just gave her a 'puppy cut'--short, but not too short...less than an inch long, all over. It worked great and she looked really good! Maybe that would be an option for Chester, since he's cute when he's fuzzy, anyway? It's a 'no sweat' option for a haircut since you don't have to worry about getting close to the skin!

Can't wait to see pictures of Chester and your kitty when you're able to post some!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Hi and welcome. I have known a few people that groom their dogs themselves. From what I have heard it get's easier everytime you do it.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
HellOApOllO

hi Rod,
will love to see the pics of the aby cat and chester.
sounds like a cool poodle.
welcome and hello.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Hi Rod

I have a goldendoodle, a golden retriever crossed with standard poodle. He used to be hard to get back on his leash when I wanted to leave as well. I read this book called Positive Dog Training and used one of their tips. Whenever I got my dog Marley to come back to me and got him back on his leash I would give him several bite sized treats at once, so he didnt think being put on his leash was a bad thing or a punishment. Eventually I phased out the treats for pets instead and he listens pretty well now. Im not saying my dog listens perfectly to me now, but 95% of the time, I dont have an issue getting him to leave. Dont know if this will help you, but it seemed to work for me.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Welcome!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I Love My Mini's

welcome aboard
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hi Rod, I used to be a groomer and i thoroughly agree, the puppy cut is sooo much cuter. It's really not that hard to do. Rule number one, the higher the number on the clipper guard the longer the hair left will be, i would use a #4 or #5 for the clip you want. around their face isnt too hard, clip from his bottom lip down his throat, you'll be surprised he will probably like it. as for his face do the same, work from top to bottom, make sure you brush him out first so there aren't any mats. brush from tail to head brushing backwards will make him all fluffy. Hope he's ok with you handlin his little feeties. Good luck.