Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Does your sis have any house plants?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

she only has one plant in her place, it's a money tree. Isn't toxic from what we've read.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Aslan,sorry you have no definet news yet,but if it is epilepsy,it will take a bit to get the right dosage of meds.
You are beeing a wonderful sis,taking your sis out for dinner,but then I expected nothing less from you.
for better news for Lucy very soon
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Chico2 your ruining my evil reputation. My sis and I are just over a year apart so we are really close. We've always been the others support system, sounding board or worste enemy. When one needs the other we are always there. Besides i'm craving Chinese food.
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,if everyone was as evil as you,we would live in a wonderful world
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
OMG,if everyone was as evil as you,we would live in a wonderful world
aaaw man, shhhhhh. do you gotta tell everyone. K off for now, hopefully i'll have some info when i get back.
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Any more news? Hope the kitty is feeling better soon....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
-

No news yet, sister and nephew are at the vets at the moment. If i hear anything i'll let you know.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Aslan, sorry I took so long..my net isn't working so I can only get on when one of my neighbour's wireless signals is strong enough.

Peaches had already been diagnosed with epilepsy when I started fostering however I went the entire 3 months of fostering him without a single seizure and from what I was told he hadn't had any in the shelter so I really don't know how frequently or severe his seizures were before. Once I adopted him, there was one specific night that he seemed off and then had a seizure right beside me. After that he was seizing much more frequently and the next night he had a severe one and went right back into another one which is when I got him onto meds.

It sounds like your sister's vet is doing everything possible... one thing I thought of though is that not all cats will react to phenobarb. I know this too from my dad's epilepsy...he was on several anti-convulsants before they found one that worked. When I first took Peaches in they told me it could take 3-4 different meds before we found one that he would respond to...and once that happens they have to try different dosages. I got lucky that the phenobarb worked right away but it's possible that Lucy just needs a different anti-convulsant.

I really hope Lucy's OK...hopefully its just something that she got into or maybe she hit her head the wrong way and this will pass. If it does turn out that Lucy has epilepsy, you can assure her that it is perfectly manageable and I can help her with any questions she has.

Peaches has gone through pretty extensive testing similar to what Lucy's vet is doing and nothing came back abnormal so they diagnosed it as epilepsy. If they don't find anything obviously wrong with Lucy, it's quite possible they may do the same thing.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

One more thing..

You mentioned that Lucy seemed a bit paralyzed. Whenever Peaches has a more severe seizure, for about a half hour or so he sort of drags his back end like he doesn't have much strength or feeling back then. It was much worse when he first starting having severe ones and he would hardly be able to walk or stand up. So I think that's a fairly common symptom following seizures

Keep us posted
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

for Lucy's quick diagnosis and a cure. pbp
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
-

omg, thank you meg... i'm forwarding this to my sis to read. She's pretty down at the moment, so any helpful info is great.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
omg, thank you meg... i'm forwarding this to my sis to read. She's pretty down at the moment, so any helpful info is great.
Not a problem, I'm happy to help I can understand how she's feeling..it's so scary, especially witnessing the seizures and being so helpless

I'm leaving tomorrow night to go camping up north until Sunday and then hopping on a plane Monday morning to go to Texas & New Orleans until next Sunday... I think you have my cell # and email but I'll PM it to you just in case. I have a Blackberry now so if you have any questions you can text me or email me and I'll be able to get it and reply
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
-

thanks alot meg, i really have to go pass out now, these long days are getting to me. Have a good trip, hopefully we wont have to disturb you....
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Chico2 your ruining my evil reputation. the other we
Evil, yeah, right , you don't fool us

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
-

Unfortunately I don't have good news for you folks. Lucy took a turn for the worse over night and this morning. My sister is going to the vets at 430 this afternoon to have the poor little one put to sleep. We both wanna thank everyone for your kind words and support.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have good news for you folks. Lucy took a turn for the worse over night and this morning. My sister is going to the vets at 430 this afternoon to have the poor little one put to sleep. We both wanna thank everyone for your kind words and support.
Aslan - I am so very very sorry.....
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry, aslan, did the vets give any indication of what might have caused this??

Is this the same sister who lost her cat last year?

to you and your sister's family. This must be so heartbreaking.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My thoughts are with your sister and her family and you this afternoon. It is a hard hard thing to go through. May your sister know she has done everything to help Lucy and feel no guilt. :sad: Lucy - when you get to Rainbow bridge you go find Li'l Momma and Bandit. They will show you the ropes. Go quietly girl.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Aslan, I'm so sorry! I'd hoped whatever she had would have been treatable and she could have gotten better.

There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy, aslan.

for your sis and her family.

for you for being such a good sis.

Run free, sweet Lucy!

Lucy

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm so sorry for your sister and you, Aslan...the suddenness of this is tragic :sad:.

Lucy
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Aslan...my condolences to you and your sister. She did everything she could for little Lucy.

Lucy
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am so sorry, aslan, did the vets give any indication of what might have caused this??

Is this the same sister who lost her cat last year?

to you and your sister's family. This must be so heartbreaking.
Well it's over now. Love4, the vet believes it was a tumor, after the last round of seizures, she wasn't responding well to the neurological test(brain damage). She had started to become viscious to the point they had sedated her some prior to my sister and nephew arriving. Yes it is the same sister who lost the cat last year. My nephew was a little trooper and held Lucy while they gave her the shots and just kissed her and talked to her until her heart stopped. Then he asked the vet all kinds of questions. Which she answered kindly.
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Lucy :sad:
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,I was hoping it was something treatable
So sorry for your sis,nephew who was certainly a brave young man,making sure Lucy was surrounded by love before her final moment
OMG,it's just heartbreaking,but these things happen.
beautiful little Lucy
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
-

I'm so sorry aslan :sad:

little Lucy
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Aslan! hugs to you and your sister!

Run free little one!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh aslan..i am sooooooooooooooooo sorry :sad: beautiful lucy

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Well it's over now. Love4, the vet believes it was a tumor, after the last round of seizures, she wasn't responding well to the neurological test(brain damage). She had started to become viscious to the point they had sedated her some prior to my sister and nephew arriving. Yes it is the same sister who lost the cat last year. My nephew was a little trooper and held Lucy while they gave her the shots and just kissed her and talked to her until her heart stopped. Then he asked the vet all kinds of questions. Which she answered kindly.
I am so sorry, aslan

Please give your nephew a special hug from me.

Lucy

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)