Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 31st, 2004, 08:00 PM

Question Dog heat and sterilization

Dear Vet,

I recently adopted a female dog who has a certificate of sterilization and a sterilization scar. I took her to a dog park today and she had 4 male dogs persistently try to "hump her". Since the dog park, she has had a few drops of blood coming out from her vagina. Should I be concerned that she is not actually sterilized or was she injured from the "humping"?
Old January 31st, 2004, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a possibility that her spay was not complete, and some tissue may have been left behind.

Is her vulva swollen? Did she stand still when these dogs mounted her? Has there been more blood? If she starts showing all the signs of being in heat, including daily bleeding followed by "standing" for mating, ("standing heat" comes after the bleeding) then you may have to have the spay repeated.

Did you get her from a rescue? I would certainly call them and inform them if you suspect she has not been spayed, or not been properly spayed.
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:30 AM

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you on my dog's condition. Apparently the certificate of sterilization is incorrect because she had all her ovaries and uterus intact. Her "scar" that I felt apparently was her belly button (I didn't know dogs had belly buttons).

I just had an official ovariohysterectomy done today by my personal vet. She is doing o.k. other than constant crying from the pain (even the the pain shot).

Thanks for responding!

Sincerely,
Angela Cherlin
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Phew! Glad that got taken care of....man those male dogs can get crazy around a bitch in heat!
My "little" Daphne has a sort of raised line for a bellybutton that looks like a spay scar too.