Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Question Just got a Husky/Lab mix puppy. Help please.

My boyfriend wanted a puppy for his birthday so him, myself, and our roommate went to the Humane Society and found a gorgeous Husky/Lab mixed puppy about two months old.
Our roommate knows more about training dogs/puppies than I do but I want to help. Is there anything, specific or generic, I should know or do with the puppy?
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you start reading about the breed of dog within your dog. Best advice I can give you is to enroll in puppy classes.
Realize that this puppy relies on you for survival for the next decade and some. Adopting a dog is for life and alot of work and effort is put into this.
Really you all should have researched alittle more about getting a puppy and what the requirements are. As you are asking now, I am certain that there are some great people here on Pets that have alot of experience with puppies that will help you.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krin1014 View Post
Is there anything, specific or generic, I should know or do with the puppy?
Start by reading all the really great info on this site: http://www.dogstardaily.com/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM

I secong the puppy training classes - every new dog owner should attend these - so much valuable info

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
-

I agree with everyone ....puppy training classes are a must.

And, btw, welcome to pets.ca .....we'd love to see pics of your new puppy.
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there

Congrats on the new puppy.
First of all, goodluck. You have a mix of two dogs that need ALOT of mental and physical stimulation. Fortunatly, Stimulating your dog can be great fun for both of you, in the process you get excersize too ! so healthy for both

My lab, casey, is... a challenge.. She WANTS to please me in training, but she is so unfocused, and tries to do all her tricks at once. Labs are very happy go lucky and take a nice while to mature mentally. from 2-3 years. I recommend getting the book "click to calm" and getting a clicker.

Your dog is also a mix between a huskey, these dogs can be a little more, independent and "hardheaded" i'll say, not exactly the right word but close enough. They are wonderful animals which require alot of excersize. But not just a walk or two a day,they are true working dogs (so are labs) . They need a big place to run and play and maybe even if you could , when the dog gets older get a packpack for when you walk your dog to make him feel like he has "a job". You might even think of getting involved in some dog sports like agility. dock diving etc . I cannot , and i repeat, I CANNOT stress enough how important it is that your dog get proper, positive reinforcement training and physical stimulation.

Your dog will also need socialization. As huskys can sometimes be very wary of strangers it is very important you socialize him in different situations with different/new people and dogs. Make sure all his encounters with new peoplle and dogs are GOOD experiences, if not that could lead to issues in the future.

I would also like to point you in the direction of a good food. As you seem to be completly new to the dog scene you'll want to look for a good quality grainfree food. Which in the future will help with shedding,weight control, and all in all give him a better qaulity of life. Grocery brand dog foods are filled with corn, as its first ingrediant. Living off of corn is not healthy for ANYBODY especially a dog.

If you have any more specific questions involving anything from food-training feel free to ask. I would beb glad to throw in whatever i know and im sure others would love to help too.
I hope to see you stick around here so you can learn more about dogs and the breeds that are in your puppy. We were all new at this at one point and had no knowledge of raising animals in the best way possible , so dont be intimidated.. i know its taken me years to accumulate the very little knowledge i now posess. Which is not much to alot of other people i know.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM

I have a lab/husky mix

I am the proud and crazy owner of a lab/husky. He is the most wonderful, friendly dog. They do however need to be put in their place. You need to be strict with rules and they will eventually get it.
I take my dog running almost every day. I am fortunate to have a leash free dog park close by and he is able to play with other dogs etc a lot. I recommend this. He will be a happy, tired pup and you will be a happy owner. I would love to see photos of your dog.
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I like this book, Good Owners, Great Dogs for the basics and an understanding of what's ahead of you. It's full of anecdotes to make the reading entertaining as well as educational. I strongly feel it is important to know ahead of time what you should do and anticipate how to handle it. To start with, do not allow that cute little bundle of fuzzy wuzziness to do anything now that you won't want a big 70 lb dog to do. (or a little dog either many here will say) S0, no jumping, no barking, no biting.

Oh, and in case no one mentionned it yet. There is a fee for any advice or information anyone on this board provides to you. You owe us at least one picture. Kidding. Sorta. Picture please?

Tags
husky, lab, puppy, trainer suggestions, training