Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Question New lab puppy

Hello, I just found this site.
I was looking for some information ( and help ) regarding my new puppy lab ( he's 8 weeks old ) . We already have a 12 year old dog and a 1 year old cat.
The puppy was camping with us and the older dog during the weekend and we had no problems, but last night we came home ( the cat stayed home with my inlaws ) and it didn't seem that the cat was too thriled about the new roomate.
We never had anyproblems when we got the cat even though we already had the other dog, but the situation was reversed, the cate was the new comer, she was a 6 week old kitten and they got used to each other without any problems.

NOw it seems a bit different
before bringing the puppy inside we got the cat on a long leash - she is used to this when we go to our trailer during weekends - and we kept the puppy on his leash as well.
We let them see each other with the leashes long enough for them to get close but not too close.
AT first the cat seemed quite upset. As she saw that the puppy was doing "normal " things, like eating, and playing with his toy bone and even sleeping she calmed down a lot.
We kept them like that for a few hours. The cat seemed more curious than upset but that's because the puppy was not running to her or barking loud or anything. This morning she was loose for a bit and she loked at the puppy trough a gat - that she can climb over anyway. Again she semed more curious than anything, but the puppy is very playful and we fear that if he approaches her or tries to play with her she might fight him.

We're thinking about continuing to let them see each other but without being able to roam free in the house yet, until they find it natural to see each other, but we have no idea which steps until they can be allowed free. Luckyly I am not working right now, and I can supervise. The kids can do it too . But once school starts we'll be away from home for at least 4 hours everyday.
ANy ideas?
Thanks
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never seen an adult cat be happy over the arrival of a large puppy.

See my reply to "jay30", just below.

Oh, and do NOT put your cat on a leash or restraints of any kind around the puppy.
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:38 AM

lab and cat

Hi
Thanks for answering.
THe cat is not o not on a leash anymore and he doesn't show anything else more than curiosity now.
Actually she's been going around the hourse just like she normally does. HOwever the puppy is in a room with the gate.

I just read the other thread and it seems like a good idea, but won't the cat feel like something is taken from her? She is used to go around the house at will, to move freely wherever she wants. WE live in a house with my parent's in law. IT's two apartments but the doors btween the two are always open and she can go back an forth, she doesn't even bother the two budgies they have in the cage. But if I confine her to one room only won't it be negative?
Thanks again.
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM

LOL I Actually just reread the other thread and understood what you mean about the cat in one room.
It makes even more sense now. In a way it's more or less what we've been doing except that the puppy is the one in one room only, but this way it seems so much more natural, they will both be able to roam free, but the cat knows she will have some safe place in case she needs it or feels threatned.
Thanks again, Just changed the whole layout and it's working so far.