Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM

Sudden death of cat

My 5 year old Siberian cat was mauled by my 2 6 month old Siberian husky dogs. I rushed her to the vet but she died in my arms. I am wrecked. I want to give up the huskies but my bf wants to keep them. We got the dogs together. The cat I got before we met. He keeps saying that whatever I want to do he will support me as he feels guilty. Cause I really didn't want 2 more dogs as I have a total of 5 now. She was my only cat. What should I do???? I walked in on her being tossed like a toy and can't get the image out of my head. Please I need advice???????????!
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:51 AM
Willing cat servant

This is terrible it really is. For starters I want to tell you I am sorry for your loss. It's a hard thing to go though and so sudden. I understand your pain.
One thing I can tell you right now is to think it over before making any decision. You need to grieve first and then when you're more calmed think carefully what you want to do. If you decide to give up the dogs just make sure they'll be well taken care of. Did you know if they were good with cats before taking them? Not that it matters anymore. Think also that if you decide to keep the huskies you won't be able to have cats anymore. It'd be too risky.
These things sadly happen and it breaks our hearts. Why don't you give it a few days and then see.

I'm truly sorry Your kitty angel
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM

This is a very sad thing. I had a Siberian Husky who had similar problems. Although he was properly contained the neighbors cat who was used to eating in the bowl of their Dalmatian decided to enter his enclosure.

First of all I think before you make a hasty decision about the dogs you may want to look into some kind of counselling as it seems you may be suffering from post traumatic stress. Your own description of the images coming back would lead me to this conclusion. I think it is totally normal under the circumstances.

I don't think the dogs are to blame but the breeders who do not inform people well about the nature of the dog are negligent. We bought our dog from one of the best breeders in the world and were warned about all this thoroughly. If I wrote what the Hookers of Ormstown had told me people would get upset and argue with me. However when we bought this dog many many years ago they had bred world champions and owned Kimlan Kennels. They had a few problems with neighbors themselves because of their dogs.

I understand how devastating what you witnessed was as I have three cats that are "my babies". If you do decide to get rid of the dogs please try calling some breeders. I know that the Kennel I spoke of was able at the time to place dogs with people who loved sledding around the world.
Old August 31st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

It is NEVER a good idea to get a pair of puppies. Unless some serious work is done, they bond to each other. With huskies, you have the added issue of high prey drive and very high energy. With 3 other dogs in the house, I doubt that the two of you have time for the training, socializing and exercising that a pair of such puppies requires.

I think that you may well want to consider rehoming at least one of the pups. I strongly suggest you go through either the breeder you got them from or a rescue group.

Sorry about your cat.
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

First, I'd like to say how very sorry I am for your loss. What a terrible tragedy. I can't imagine having to see something like that myself. sweet kitty

Now, for the dogs. It absolutely is not their fault. Not to lay blame, especially at a time like this, but sadly, people rush in to getting a certain type of dog because they like the looks of them and fail to do any research on the breed at all. Huskies are extremely prey driven. And as was stated, the fact that you got a pair of pups probably doesn't help, though I do know several "experienced" owners who have no trouble with them at all. But that's the key, experience. Northern breeds i.e. Siberians, Malamutes, Samoyed all have a very high prey drive. I had 2 Malamutes, lost one to cancer on March 4th, but still have the other. He's a sweet, wonderful boy. Extremely good natured and does very well with small dogs. He's not typical at all of a Malamute. Now, that being said, I would never trust him alone with a small dog or a cat. It's in their nature. It sounds like you need some professional help, a trainer. Make sure you do your research and find one with knowledge of this particular breed. Huskies are wonderful, high energy dogs, but need a lot of training. Good luck.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
First, I'd like to say how very sorry I am for your loss. What a terrible tragedy. I can't imagine having to see something like that myself. sweet kitty

Now, for the dogs. It absolutely is not their fault. Not to lay blame, especially at a time like this, but sadly, people rush in to getting a certain type of dog because they like the looks of them and fail to do any research on the breed at all. Huskies are extremely prey driven. And as was stated, the fact that you got a pair of pups probably doesn't help, though I do know several "experienced" owners who have no trouble with them at all. But that's the key, experience. Northern breeds i.e. Siberians, Malamutes, Samoyed all have a very high prey drive. I had 2 Malamutes, lost one to cancer on March 4th, but still have the other. He's a sweet, wonderful boy. Extremely good natured and does very well with small dogs. He's not typical at all of a Malamute. Now, that being said, I would never trust him alone with a small dog or a cat. It's in their nature. It sounds like you need some professional help, a trainer. Make sure you do your research and find one with knowledge of this particular breed. Huskies are wonderful, high energy dogs, but need a lot of training. Good luck.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkeshet07 View Post
My 5 year old Siberian cat was mauled by my 2 6 month old Siberian husky dogs. I rushed her to the vet but she died in my arms. I am wrecked. I want to give up the huskies but my bf wants to keep them. We got the dogs together. The cat I got before we met. He keeps saying that whatever I want to do he will support me as he feels guilty. Cause I really didn't want 2 more dogs as I have a total of 5 now. She was my only cat. What should I do???? I walked in on her being tossed like a toy and can't get the image out of my head. Please I need advice???????????!
I am so sorry for your lost of your cat This is so sad. Husky are know for going after small animals or livestock . I had a Samoyed Husky and she tried to eat my landlord's rabbit that was in a cage. If you keep the dogs I would be very careful about having a small pet around the dogs. I agree with what other said about having two huskies , if you do not have the time to work with them and a fence in yard this will happen again . I would try to bring one back to the breeder or find a good home for it.
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post

I knew a dog that was part Samoyed and she was always running after a farmer livestock. The farmer threaten to shoot the dog if the owner did not keep the dog away . My Samoyed was a very sweet dog but put a small animal in front of her and she became a hunter. I think some insurance companies have homeowners pay more if they have a husky . My company does.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry, what a terrible thing for your poor cat, and you. Even though I feared being in the same position some day I have no idea what you should do. We rescued a dog who was extremely jealous of my cat and the cat came first. We had some near misses but learned how to keep them separate. For 10.5 years, it was not fun.

I did always say, that dog hurts my cat, that dog is gone. But of course I loved the dog too and since we knew there were issues anything bad would have been our own fault, even if just that one small mistake of forgetting or neglecting. I think I have to agree with whoever said wait to make a decision and I do think it would be wise to consider rehoming one of the pups.