Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 9th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Question Louie's 'altered' ego

greetings everyone.
well 'we' made it thru Louie's neutering today. he clung to me like a baby in the examination room before i tucked him into one of their cages :sad:
he was brave tho and now he's home. no stitches (really surprises me) but he's licking it a lot. it looks so sore but vet says it's not all bad for little boys. he doesn't seem like he's in pain he is of course, wiped right out and he's eating but i hear the occassional loud meow which is so unlike him. anything i should watch for overnight?
sorry this is such a poorly written post ... i'm wiped.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Awwww! Sounds like Louie did just fine! (and yet, it is a lot less of an ordeal for a male than for a female - but a trauma nonetheless for our little ones). I think it's moe traumatic for us actually. I want to be in there when Yin Yin has her surgery and I think the vet will allow me (so she says now anyway - so I;d best hide that overprotective mom streak that has been rearing its head, lol).

There are dissolving stitches now and medicine - and vet med sometimes even more quickly - is advancing in so many ways!!

I hope Louie will be fine!!! (and I KNOW he will get lots of TLC and spoiling from mom)

Hugs to mom and Louie!
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad Louie is back home and safe!

I've never had a tom cat lick his incision. Just be careful it doesn't get infected, and keep an eye on it. If he licks it too much you may have to put an E collar on him.
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Glad Louie is back home and safe!

I've never had a tom cat lick his incision. Just be careful it doesn't get infected, and keep an eye on it. If he licks it too much you may have to put an E collar on him.
that's what i'm worried about Lucky. how much is too much?
it looks like he's thoroughly cleaned the area since we've been home. he hasn't let me close enough to see exactly where the incision is and i haven't pushed him. figure he's had a rough enough day. he just woke up from a snooze on my bed (at least i think he was snoozing), let me pet him and luv him up a little, is purring a lot and rubbing into my hand. he had another little bite to eat and is licking off and on. looks much less sore than it did earlier but it might have been iodine or something
i hate not knowing if there's something i should be doing but he seems ok enough. as i write this he's meowing a lot in the back sunroom. wish i knew what he's trying to tell me. :sad: he just sauntered by and went back to 'bed'.

p.s. thanks c.k. he's definitely getting LOTS of love and hugs. thanks for ur warm wishes

Last edited by louie's mum; December 9th, 2004 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add a p.s.
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

You must check it to make sure it's not swollen and red, or oozing. Cat's mouths are very dirty and that combined with their rough tongues can cause a problem.

He sounds like he's doing fine!
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
You must check it to make sure it's not swollen and red, or oozing. Cat's mouths are very dirty and that combined with their rough tongues can cause a problem.

He sounds like he's doing fine!

thanks lucky. it's really looking good today. not red or oozing at all. he's seemingly quite happy. still sleeping a lot which is good. licking occassionally but he's eatin normally, has control of his bladder and bowels and has even played a little today. he's tried to engage me in getting his fishing pole going but i'm not going for it, don't want anything happening to pull open the incisions and believe me, this white boy can jump.
he hopped up on me this aft and settled in for one of his famous little cuddles :love: which is a first in quite a few days (even before the surgery) which i think i needed more than he did :love: so i think we're getting back to normal.
i'll continue to check him out tho. i didn't realize cat's mouths were so dirty. do dog's have clean mouths or that a wives tale?