Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
only having this article to go by, this doesn't sound like an unpredictable, aggressive dog. It says to me that this is a dog with a high prey drive which is normal for many dogs regardless of the breed .

This is something the owners/caretaker of this dog should have known and certainly could have prevented. Once again, as always, the blame does not lie with the dog, but it's neglectful, irresponsible owners including the owner of the poor dog that was attacked.

I wish people would spend more time learning about dogs and dog behavior and less time putting their dogs' lives at risk because of their stupidity and ignorance .

perfectly put !!!! I agree 100%
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

I have been around dogs all my life, but cats are my first love. Probably always will be.

We are so quick to give up on pets once they become violent. It has been shown over and over and over, that abused animals can react in violent ways. I am not saying that is what happened here, but as goes the owners, so too, go the pets(dogs).

Too ofter people treat dogs like another family member and dogs are not people! They are not human. They have to be treated, well, like a dog! Dogs are pack animals and learning how dogs behave in the pack goes a long way to having a healthy(emomtional/mental) stable animal.

And even a violent dog can be rehabilitated. Almost 100% of the time. Unfortunately it takes time and effort and too many people do not want to give this time. Too many people chose dogs unsuited to their lifestyle and then blame the dog when there are problems.

For everyone who loves their dog, please do yourself and your dog, and by extension, your community, a favor! Educated yourself about the dog you have/want and take the time and effort to train yourself(not the dog!) how to handle and understand the pet you own.

My father used to train dogs very successfully and had won awards for his dogs(Lassies). But as I got older, I saw how his anger affected the pets around us regardless of the breed and I understood how this was such a factor in the dogs behavior, and not the breed.

There is an amazing show on the air right now(well 2 of them I watch), that show, without a doubt how animals can be rehabilitated! They are "The Dog Whisper" and "Dogtown". I am sure most of you dog lovers are familiar with these shows. I am so amazed how Cesar Milan is able to rehabilitate dogs over and over, and dogs that were given up on and ready to be euthanized. Unfortunately, too many laws are on the books that are so unforgiving.

Without a doubt, injury and damage has to be addressed, but the fingers first should be pointed at the dogs owners before the dogs themselves. I have seen over and over, neighbors who were of questionable character, having dogs and seeing these dogs become dangerous and violent.
That is not to say it doesn't happen with good owners, just generally there is a relation between those owners and there dogs. And this is well documented.

So, please people, learn about dogs in general, and having a good, well adjusted home goes a long way to having well adjusted dogs and many of the sad, unfortunate happenings will be avoided. Be a good pack leader, because that is the first step to having a well adjusted dog. If you are not the pack leader, guess who is?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Knight in Kitty armour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
luvmyshepherd, it's considered bad manners to revive extremely old threads, that's why it was brought up. There is actually a sticky posted by the mods somewhere that mentions that new posters should take care not to do such a thing. So Frenchy is not in the wrong for mentioning it.
When people start reviving old threads it kicks the new, usually more relevent, threads down the page so they won't be seen as quickly. While that's not a problem if it's only a couple of people do it, if new posters constantly start reviving old threads it DOES become an issue. No one wants to wade through a bunch of old threads trying to find newer posts.

Also, getting an attitude with senior posters is NOT the way to make friends here. If you are new the board it is just polite to know the atmosphere of the board and become friendly with the older posters.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with reviving old threads, IF IT IS RELEVANT! This prevents new threads which will do exactly as you say. You can look at this from both sides. I and other users have done the same thing and I see nothing wrong with that.

So please leave moderating to the moderators, and we will all do the same!
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Thumbs down

Chill out chilli & luvmyselferd !
Pushy much ? I'm a noob too.
You don't see me enlightening the oldtimers
in the forum about my vaunted opinion.(with bold red fonts)

Geez !
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM

There is no rule against contributing to older threads as long as it is on topic. There is, however, rules against name calling and rudeness, both by old members and "noobs".

One of those rules is when a thread devolves into childish banter, it gets closed.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford
Closed Thread