Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Exclamation Baby Bog Lemming

As some of you may know, I have a devil of a cat. Well, every once in a while (more like 4 or 5 times a day) He'll slip out the door and run outside. Last night he came to the front door with a small rodent in his mouth squeaking his heart out (almost all animals make the same noise when being attacked by a cat) Well, the little guy survived and is now living in a gallon ice cream bucket. After looking on the web, I have determined that he is a bog lemming. I'll post some pictures and see if you guys agree. He is only a baby as his eyes were closed, one of them opened up this afternoon! He's eating on his own, I don't know if I have to-ahem-stimulate him to use the bathroom, but I've been trying it just in case. I don't know where the nest is...poor little guy...no mama to be found:sad: I felt so bad for him last night because I knew we wouldn't be able to get him back to his mama; he smelled of humans I'm sure. He's very small and gentle. Just loves curling up on your chest and snuggling into your shirt. I was just wondering how I should take care of him and when I should let him go. He's a little too helpless right now. There aren't any rescues etc around here and I want to put him back approx. where my cat found him (maybe a little farther away) and I've taken are of birds before. Just looking for tips on how to take care of this little guy...keeping my !
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
cat slave

awww poor little guy. Are those cat teeth marks there in his fur?? poor baby.

at least he's eating by himself. I don't know what to suggest.... think hamster food?
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Yes, those two marks in his fur is where the cat had grabbed him. I don't want to mess with those too much so I don't open up any wounds. He seems fine though. Sleeping like a baby right now! I hope I don't get too attached to this little guy! What would my parents say if I asked to keep him?

I dunno where to find hamster food...no pet shops here. Well, I guess he'll have to stick with grass seed from my yard, clover and a bit of mozzo cheese!
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
cat slave

well you can give veggies and seeds and water and cheese and tofu.

if you keep him you can call him a "gerbil" and get a bigger place for the little guy. I hope those wounds heal. But that being said...i don't know..he could carry diseases
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Hehehe...that would be one odd looking gerbil
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Just be careful that there are definately no puncture wounds becasue cat saliva is deadly to birds, squirrels, mice, etc. I rescued a few squirrels that were caught by cats and they had to be put on antibiotics within a few hours of the attack or they can die with in 24 hours.
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Well, this will be the third night I've had him and he seems to be fine still. Umm...I researched a little about domestic lemmings-Steppe Lemmings (which are really more like voles)- and I've been doing a lot of stuff wrong. No fruits, no high oil seeds (peanuts, sunflower, etc), and probably no cheese. These little guys are sugar intolerant, so no fruits. These was a website that said their diet should be like a laberatory diet or hamster/mouse chow that is sugar-freem non-molassed (whatever that means(I am a bird person, not rodent)), no dried fruit, and a little amount of oily seeds. WHERE AM I GONNA FIND THAT KIND OF STUFF?!?!?! WAL-MART?!?! Literally, that is the only place to go up here. No pet shops what so ever. Well, I gave him a bunch of grass and clover from my back yard along with some grassy seeds. He ain't buying it yet. Totally , but lemming fur must be expensive because he is SO soft! I would never hurt him on purpose though.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Umm...I seemed to made a mistake. I ran across a picture of a baby VOLE and it looked just like the little guy. So he's a vole.

I'm afraid I have some bad news, though. Our little friend passed late this afternoon. All I can do is look at the bright side and say he died more peacefully then if his bones were being crushed by the cat. He lived MUCH longer then I expected...3 days after the attack. I'm not exactly sure what killed him, but it was probably a puncture from the cat somewhere....I should have treated him right when I found him.......:sad: