Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Siberian husky behaviour I want to fix

Hey all,

I'm not sure if these are dog traits and not to fix, but want to help my pup so I'm asking.

She is almost 6 months. Pure bred siberian husky.

1. She has recently started to bark out loud. She has never done it before. Just a few weeks ago she did it once and then again a week later. I usually let her out 5:00 a.m. and feed her. Few minutes later, when I looked she was staring at nothing and just barking.

2. Extremely hyperactive. It's becoming a problem because she can't socialize with humans or other dogs properly. I tried tiring her out by taking her for a really long run and then 4 km walk, but she was still ready for more.

3. Whenever she sees another person or dog she gets scared first, then observes and then goes towards the person/dog. Until she gets close she won't stop. When she gets close and the other dog tries to approach she runs around me and ties me up with her leash.

The other day when we went up to a very calm dog. She just very excitedly kept sniffing him and all around him over and over. The other dog got pissed off a few times because she was so hyper. Then she just goes on her back and starts swinging her paws in the air next to the dog. For this reason most dog owners don't want their dogs near us

Thanks to the economy and high vet bills (she go sick), I spent the money that I wanted to spend on her for dog school.

Any suggestions?

here are some recent pics of her:

Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
-

I'm sorry I have no tips on training for you....

I was wondering why you have her tied on such a short tether :sad:....I don't know where you live, but if you are in Ontario, the law states that a dog should be on a tether no less than 3 metres long.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I'm sorry I have no tips on training for you....

I was wondering why you have her tied on such a short tether :sad:....I don't know where you live, but if you are in Ontario, the law states that a dog should be on a tether no less than 3 metres long.
ah didn't know that. It's an XL leash. I'm in Ontario. We only do that when we are cleaning up her poop from backyard. She always jumps at us when try to do it and eat the bags.

Do it for her safety.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
-

I guess you could put her inside the house then, if it is for her safety.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I guess you could put her inside the house then, if it is for her safety.
she goes crazy if we aren't around her when inside the house. Even when she's outside she sits near the glass door so she can see us.

I'll get a bigger tether for her tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know!
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Molly's mama

himanshu- good idea asking for help. It sounds as though you need to socialize your pup more- to new situations and definitely to a lot of other dogs. Its too bad that you can't afford obedience classes, because they would be a great way to introduce her to like-minded dogs and owners. So the next best thing would be to practice a bunch of obedience each day- commands like sit and down, walking politely on a leash in all sorts of situations, and then eventually recall (getting her to come to you when called). Practice both in the house and outside.
Are you sure she's a purebred Sibe? She looks more Malamute to me, or some other kind of mix? Malamutes are also known to be VERY vocal, so maybe she is just finding her voice? She is really beautiful regardless!
I am sure some other members will have some good ideas. But please try to get into obedience classes- have you looked into pricing? From my experience they aren't too expensive, even if you just take one session (usually 6 weeks I think)
good luck, and keep us updated!
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
-

I think you and Lexi would both benefit by going to training classes while she is still young.

I have a siberian husky and had two before him. You have to be gentle but firm with them at the same time. If they think they can get away with something they will most definitely try. The first two I didn't take to training school as there wasn't one in the small town where we lived. I thought I wouldn't have to with the one I have now but he was very headstrong so we went to school and it was the best thing I ever did for us both.

Is there any way you can borrow the money from someone?

Or, maybe there is a trainer in your area that will let you pay class by class?

Good luck.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm a softy

Sorry to hear your troubles, don't have much advice, as she sounds pretty normal. Did you know you signed up for this? This is classic husky behavior. She is meant to run pulling heavy sleds ALL day.. She has been bred with that kind of energy, and it is not going to get any better. Huskies are best for people that can give them a job to do, or love that kind of energy. The energy wont change, you just have to harness in the ways you want it to. She probably needs about 3 longs walks/jogs a day, plus lots of free run time. She is not going to be a calm lap house dog, that is not what you got.

The problems with other dogs is a socialization problem. How old was she when you got her? You must try to have her around as many dogs as you can. Do you have friends that have dogs that could come for a play? If she could be loose in the back yard running and romping with some other dogs it would help. as long as she is not aggressive, this play will soon teach her the right way to say hello. It is ok if the other dogs give a little growl to put her in her place if she is being rude to them, that is how she is going to learn. This is what you need to do also. Encourage many positive interaction with other dogs. Give her a UH UH when she is not greeting a dog politley, and work on it. This will get worse if you don't, socialization is really inportant. Don't stop because she doesn't have the skills it means she needs to do it that much more.

Other than working on the basics and meeting her needs, that is about it. I assume you researched about huskies and know what their behavior and temperment is. I also agree with BenMac, don't tie her up, especially that short. She will get frustrated, and develop bad habits. It is never good to tie a dog out. If she goes nuts inside the house when you are not in there, perhaps it is speration anxiety, so leaving her in there while you are cleaning the yard, so that you can check up on her and reasure her is probably a good way to work on it, so is probably the best time to leave her inside. This is what happens a lot with huskies. People like the way they look.... and have no idea what they are in for, the dog acts just like it is supposed to and the new owners get frutrated with it.. It will take work work patience consistancy, work, time, and effort. She is a member of your family now, not an accesory, a husky needs a lot of time and patience, but in the end you will have a beautiful, amazing, well behaved, trusted member of the family GOOD LUCK!
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM

I knew siberian huskies were hard and active, but not this much. I wanted an active dog and am happy with her.

I just worry about her and want to help her be a happy dog. I do think she has separation anxiety which we're working on.

I got her from a dog sleeding company when she was 8 weeks. She was afraid of everything then.

I taught her basic commands, but sometimes she doesn't obey because she gets bored easily.

I do have some money saved, but she had a stomach infection (worms) and I want to use it towards any unforeseen vet bills. That and I want to spay her since the vet said to do it before her first heat. Was hoping to try and fix this myself.

All the neighbours have grown bigger dogs. Will try to see how she is at dog parks. Maybe we can find some smaller dogs.

Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM

All dogs will exhibit some traits of their breed, such as a seemingly neverending amount of energy for a sledding breed such as your Husky.

1. She has recently started to bark out loud. She has never done it before. Just a few weeks ago she did it once and then again a week later. I usually let her out 5:00 a.m. and feed her. Few minutes later, when I looked she was staring at nothing and just barking.

- Are you SURE that it is nothing? Dogs often see things that we never would. You stated that she sometimes has separation anxiety - dogs howl/bark in times like that. It could be a variety of reasons. Also, for separation anxiety, how long is she being left alone for?

2. Extremely hyperactive. It's becoming a problem because she can't socialize with humans or other dogs properly. I tried tiring her out by taking her for a really long run and then 4 km walk, but she was still ready for more.

Sounds like it is time for the dog park!

3. Whenever she sees another person or dog she gets scared first, then observes and then goes towards the person/dog. Until she gets close she won't stop. When she gets close and the other dog tries to approach she runs around me and ties me up with her leash

How socialized is she? Puppies often run up to other dogs/people without being inhibited (mine got nipped quite a few times until he realized that he needed to behave/control his energy when greeting other dogs). Again, I think the dog park would be a good idea. I have been taking mine daily for 3 months (ever since he got his full shots). It has really improved his behaviour.

***Just my personal opinion, but I think us humans can only teach a puppy so much. Dogs, especially strong breeds like the Husky (which is bred for not just pulling, but teamwork within a pack) really need the benefit of other calm and experienced dogs teaching them how to be a dog. It sounds like your pup needs more lessons on how to be a dog, such as how to greet and approach.

Last edited by shibamom; July 18th, 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: extra
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu View Post
She is almost 6 months. Pure bred siberian husky.

I tried tiring her out by taking her for a really long run and then 4 km walk, but she was still ready for more.
I'm concerned about you taking a not-yet 6 month old puppy for a long run and then a 4 km walk, at this age the bones & joints are still growing and for a large breed especially one needs to be cautious not to put too much strain on them at such a young age or she will be prone to problems in hip/knee/elbow areas. As your dog gets older and is fully grown a run or a 4 km walk would be fine but right now I think it is best to stick to 3 walks a day around 20-30 mins each with a long rest in between. Unlimited play in the backyard is fine and try to find some mentally stimulating activities (obedience training, trick training, a game of hide & seek with a favorite toy, interactive dog toys) for your puppy to tire her out that way, it will also help with the confidence issues.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....int#post429941 and this one: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....int#post800385

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM

I was told I need to exercise her more and more because of her breed, which is why I started to make sure she gets it. I'll look for a better balance.

Maybe better dog games are better. Any suggestions? She gets bored easily.

Holding off on the dog park until her worms problem is okay and she has been spay'd. Need to make sure she doesn't get anyone else sick.
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a softy

just not the 4k run all at once, break it into 3 or 4. Once a day doesn't work, because once she rests she will be ready to go again, so you have to balance it, she has energy, walk, she is tired, home, gets hyper again, out for a walk, rest at home, hyper again go for a walk. Also find some awesome doggie play things at the store, mini tires, kongs, chewees,..... ect.. throw things, chase her, play tag, another dog to play with is really something she needs.. Help tire her out, and learn her manners. She needs a job, when she is older you could go on roller blades or something with her, classes, rally-o, carrrying a doggie pack on walks, agility?.. anything is possible with work and patience! I have seen a couple huskies in rally o and agility... But when she is older carrying a back pack and going for a long run on roller blades would be perfect..you just have to get creative so you can meet her needs. And as long as she is out of control hyper, her needs are not met.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Looks like a Seppala Siberian to me. They are, in fact purebreds, but have their own registry and aren't recognized by either the CKC or the AKC. They do have a stronger running drive than regular Sibes, something to keep in mind as she gets older. If you x-country ski, she'd make an awsome skijor dog, with the right training. There are also several companies in country that sell one-dog kick sleds that are an amazing amount of winter fun! Lastly, do be really careful about working her in hot weather, winter dogs can overheat really easily in summer.
Have fun with her, she sure looks like a beaut to me!

Last edited by kitona; July 25th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Yep, I keep her in the basement when it's really hot outside, she prefers to nap there to.

Long walks often do involve breaks where I give her water.

Toys she gets bored of.

Will take her for training next month after her surgery.
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Backpacks

I second the suggestion for a backpack when she is older. Give her more work to do on her walks so she will be more mentally and physically stimulated.
And then you don't have to carry the poop bags or your water
Cheers,
Joanne