Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Question on Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice Formula

Has anyone had a problem with this food? My dog has been on it for about 3 years now. About 8 or 9 months ago we started having some issues with Petunia getting really sick and having accidents in the house. After multiple visits to the Vet, a couple of different attempts at medications, the only thing we could come up with was that there was something wrong with the last bag of food we had gotten. Bought a new bag and everything was fine. Unfortunately, we just tossed the bag of food, since it had been used for a while by then. A couple of months later, bought a new bag of food, opened it and thought it smelled a little strange, but not terrible. Tuni immediately had diarrhea. Literaly 45 minutes after she ate it, she was having problems. Exchanged the food immediately to the store and everything was fine. Opened a new bag this morning, and the same thing happened. Unfortunately, I already tossed the bag and didn't notice the smell. (in my defense, I'm a guy, I barely notice how my food smells when I inhale it).

I realize that Eagle Pack isn't part of the recalls that happened, but it's strange that I've had 3 bad bags in such a short period of time. Now I'm wondering do I just switch the poor dog off it and try something else, or should I keep trying? The poor girl has a really bad stomach, so changing food is almost as scary a proposition as dealing with the bad food. If anyone has a suggestion of a good food I could try for her, I would be glad to hear it.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Papa D

http://timberwolforganics.com/
this is what i feed.

also look at solid gold....although i cant get a working website
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

At this point, I think you should try a different food. Whether the bags of Eagle Pack were bad or not, it looks like Petunia needs to be on something else. Have you ever tried Wellness? They make a couple foods for allergies/sensitivities that look pretty good: http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...ons_index.html You might even be able to get some free samples from your local pet supply store.
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I had pretty much decided that I was going to try another food. Have to wait a few days for her stomach to get back to normal. We keep cans of the I/D food they sell at the vets office when this happens, so we've switched back to that. I figure after she's ok for a day or two, I'll start mixing in another food for her. But I'm going to be pushy now and ask for some more info.

1) I've read that if the dog is having problems, you can change the protein source. We've tried other kinds of food before and she's had problems with them. Since she's currently on teh chicken and rice, which is also the prescription food we feed her, we don't think the chicken is the problem, so would it make sense to stick with that?

2) I've done a lot of reading (I guess having a 2 month old who doesn't sleep through the night gives me an excuse to research food until almost 2:30 AM) and I'm confused about the different foods. I was looking at a lot of them and the one that seemed like it would work the best was the Wellness Chicken and Rice. Is that a decent food? My head is spinning from all this reading. I don't pay this much attention to the food I eat.
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Wellness makes a Chicken kibble that is ranked 5 star in dogaware.com . Wellness can be rich so transition slowly. It is a great food but (quote Prin) is a bit grainy. My 3 1/2 year old Samoyed has tried Wellness Chicken with great results.
Now about Eagle Pack my 2 samoyeds tried Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Sardine etc and several hours later vomitted yellow bile. They did this on 3 successive nights back in the spring. I discontinued this food and returned it to the pet store. They haven't vomitted since.
Speaking about Prin I haven't heard from her in ages. Prin where are you?
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM

My Golden, Montana, has been eating Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Salmon and Sardine for 2 years now with no problem, and our Berner and Leonberger eat the E.P. Holistic Lamb & Rice - and again no problem.
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia's_dad
1) I've read that if the dog is having problems, you can change the protein source. We've tried other kinds of food before and she's had problems with them. Since she's currently on teh chicken and rice, which is also the prescription food we feed her, we don't think the chicken is the problem, so would it make sense to stick with that?
I would stick with a chicken and rice formula if that is what she does best on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia's_dad
2) I've done a lot of reading (I guess having a 2 month old who doesn't sleep through the night gives me an excuse to research food until almost 2:30 AM) and I'm confused about the different foods. I was looking at a lot of them and the one that seemed like it would work the best was the Wellness Chicken and Rice. Is that a decent food? My head is spinning from all this reading. I don't pay this much attention to the food I eat.
Wellness is good but I think it is overpriced and there are other brands that are equally as good or better IMO. I would consider:

1. Canidae www.canidae.com
2. Innova www.naturapet.com
3. Go Natural www.petcurean.com

If you are interested in a grain free kibble then I sould definitely recommend Orijen www.championpetfoods.com

Good luck with your decision and I hope you find a food that Petunia likes and does well on.
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
..........Wellness is good but I think it is overpriced and there are other brands that are equally as good or better IMO. I would consider:
1. Canidae www.canidae.com
2. Innova www.naturapet.com
3. Go Natural www.petcurean.com

If you are interested in a grain free kibble then I sould definitely recommend Orijen www.championpetfoods.com.......
I agree.