Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Sophie & Gretchen's Mom

Please critique my diet so far!

OK, so we are officially "RAW" for 2 weeks now and everything is going great! Everyone has noticed how beautiful the min pin's coats are, and Gretchen has even lost 1/2lb. (she was 21lbs. and needs to be about 18lbs.) Anyhoo, I wanted the pros on here to look at my diet so far and make suggestions or let me know what else to add. Here it is - these are all the things we've used in the past 2 weeks:

*chicken breasts, cut into big chunks
*chicken leg quarters & wings - they love these!
* meat patties I made up of 2 parts ground turkey, 1 part ground beef, 2 eggs, 1 apple, and 1 carrot (my dogs love apples and carrots as treats, so I added these for flavor and fiber)
*canned pumpkin 1 Tbsp. at a time
*bits of beef when I find it on sale
*lowfat plain yogurt a few times a week

I am going to add in organ meat tonight - just didn't want to do the "too much, too soon" thing and have problems. The meat patties are for convenience for me when I work early mornings and the dogs love 'em.

Oh, I do have one more question....when you figure 2-3% of body weight, is that at each meal or just the total for the day? My dogs still seem hungry if I only give them 2-3% a day.

Thanks for any and all input! This has been an amazing experience so far, and the girls have the energy of a puppy again (they are 6 years old)!

Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Oh, I do have one more question....when you figure 2-3% of body weight, is that at each meal or just the total for the day? My dogs still seem hungry if I only give them 2-3% a day.
I can help you with this question but I have two cats so I am unable to comment on the meal as cats and dogs are different

2-3% of your dogs body weight a day is what is recommended. If your dogs seem really hungry keep them at 3% for a while or until you start to notice weight gain. If you are really worried they are starving feed them a bit more for now but only temporarily. The trasition might be new to them because it is much healthier than kibble....

Here is a raw feeding calculations chart I like to use for my cats (it is for dogs as well). I enter in their ideal weight so this helps with them losing some weight for now.
http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/...bpLaOzjg%3D%3D Please note: I feed my cats a prey model diet with no ingredients other then the meat/bone/organs added. I am sure you can search the web for similar calculations for adding other ingredients.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

As long as the dog isn't loosing weight (and certainly age, activity level, season, the individual makes it so that one dog need 1.5% vs. another who needs 3.5% to maintain a healthy weight--go with what works for your dog) I would keep feeding the amount that you are, the dog will get used to it.

These are the issues I can see:
- lack of organs (but you said you'll be adding those)
- no fish or fish body oil supplementation
- carrots and apples are a ton of sugar. If you're feeding veggies, I'd try to use different varieties....(maybe keep the apples and carrots for snacks, or make them a smaller part of the diet)