Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Any natural remedies for doggie diarrhea?

My 1yr old pup, Magic, has been having very loose stools along with constipation for about a week.

The only things that I think may have some connection: On Valentine's day, she ate a whole package of Love Hearts, including the rapper. She did leave behind enough evidence that I knew what she ate. She never threw up but you could tell she was in some discomfort, laying down alot. She seemed to be fine by the next day.

Then on Feb. 16th, we went to our neighbor's who is Magic's former owner (he owns Magic's mommy and has 2 of Magic's siblings.) He had a get together with the rest of the pups and their families as their 1year birthday was yesterday. Anyway, as a treat he fed them what he used to feed them when they were babies and still with him, rice and meat ( I think it was liver) They all devoured it, but Magic's used to eating kibble. Anyway, I wonder if that's what could be causing it?

So she is still going out very frequently to poop but seems to be having alot of problems getting it out. When she does it's very wet and we often have to use wipes to clean her up. She has also been waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes several times, to go out.

So are there any ways we can help her with this? Any remedies to help get her back to normal?

Thanks for any advice
Magic - black mixed Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Malteze, Bichon (bn Feb 19/08)
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM

Could be the candied hearts or the liver in his tummy. Liver is very rich and some dogs don't handle it very well.

Try adding a tablespoon of 100% PURE canned pumpkin into his food NOT pie filling, as it has sugar. This is fibre. It will help to regulate his stools. Hope he feels better soon!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Doggie Wench

We also use Slippery Elm, 1 tbsp in a cup of homemade chicken broth. We offer 1/3 cup every couple of hours and most tummy issues resolve themselves by the end of the day.

Pumpkin is great too. We normally buy a whole one, or some squash, bake it, put it in a blender, freeze in ice cube trays, and place in freezer bags. This way we always have some handy.

Another thought, has she been dewormd lately? Any chance she could have picked up some parasites from the other pups at the party?
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm going to take her in to the vet today. I just called and got an appointment. Overnight she had the runs on the floor so she's not getting any better. I think we should just nip this in the "butt" and get her checked out.

Thanks for the advice.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck at the vet!

the extra sugar just overstimulated her intestinal bacteria! Feel better soon, Magic!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to suggest the vet - and a few cans of Hill's i/d - also available in kibble now. Many people give this to their dogs who are either constipated or have the runs - I know it doesn't follow into the classification of "natural" but there are a lot of people out there who feed their dogs very specific diets but when it comes to poop issues, i/d it is. I keep a couple of cans on just in case - discovered it in Dec. 2005 when my dog (Toronto also) had a virus that was going around - he liked it, ate it, and got better. So far I haven't had to use my constantly rotated 2 cans.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM

Magic is doing much better.

Actually I ended up cancelling the vet appointment, as our appt. was late in the day and she seemed to be doing much better. She hadn't had the runs since the night before and she was acting more like her normal self; starting to play, etc. and eating better. I'm glad we cancelled and avoided needless fees because she improved even more throughout the night and I think the worst is over. If it does start up again, we'll take her in but I think it was probably just an aversion to the food she had at the puppy party.

Thanks for all your advice and concern

Cathy
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
-

I'm glad the worst is over. You are lucky. But, there's nothing to say it can't start... tonight. I hope not, of course.

With a 1 year old dog who had diarrhea for an entire week, personally, I would not have skipped the appointment, I would have had a fecal test done and have had my Vet listen to my dog's belly/ bowel sounds and a good palpation of their belly. This can help to identify excess bowel activity, blockages, tears and torsion.

And for anyone else who might be reading this (we love our lurkers too )...

If your young puppy has repeated diarhhea and/or vomitting for more than two days ~ go to a Vet immediately. They do not have the physical reserves to recover and very simply put, they may die. If your dog eats plastic or foil, this can cause a life-threatening/ fatal block or a tear in the digestive tract.

For the record Bluecatt, I do think you got lucky this time. And hey, I've taken my chances too. Sometimes I've been lucky but I've also paid the piper when I've been wrong with boat loads of money and my dogs have paid with extended periods of discomfort and pain. A week is too long to wait.

If there is a runny-mess diarrhea that means absolutely no food, not even treats. Some recommend no water. I don't. It's too dry where I live and I think good water is just as important to moving the out of the body as anything else. I would rather take my gang out again and again to get rid of the . Your dog's digestive tract moves most everything out within 8 hours so a complete 36 hour period without food is a good gauge.