Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM

kitten Changing COLOUR!!!

Our little Licorice has been changing colour. When we first got her, she was a dark brown/black kitten. She then seemed to darken up to black...but recently she is turning silver! We were calling her our "silver-belly-girl" as her tummy was the first to turn gray, but now her legs and head are black and her body is gray!

We love her to pieces. What colour will she turn next?! Picture #1 - First day we got her - 8wks old. Picture #2 - 12 weeks old and very much looks like a black cat. Picture #3 was taken yesterday and she is 16 weeks old. Hard to believe it's the same cat! Will she stay silver in colour? She doesn't seem to be shedding at all. I wonder if this is thanks to her food changes from the wonderful advice in the Food Forums.
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Kitty pimp

wow thats neat i never heard or saw that
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

She's adorable!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I will add 2 more pictures taken today. She looks silver when she is in full sunlight, but normally she looks more like these....
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Licorice is not going to live up to his name if he keeps doing that!! How cute!

From what I have been reading cats can change colours. Sometimes it's a very subtle change. Others pretty dramatic. In Licorice's case I would say it's pretty dramatic.
I have tabby cats. One in particular was grey striped just like her sister when she was younger. It made it difficult to tell them apart. As they got older her sister developed a sharper face, always looks angry, so I found it easier to tell them apart. Now at two years old Squeak is turning red. The undercoats on all of mine have a reddish/orange tint. Squeak is the only one who's top coat is changing too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ah, that last picture you can really see the stripes in her. I would think she has tabby markings and her stripes are just becoming more noticable. That is completely normal.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

wow. gorgeous kitty! Her tabby marks are definately starting to show! My little guy is going through the same thing, only his marking are coming out on his tail a little. Its so cool to see them changing colors!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Catlover2

If you blow into her coat and you see white fur next to her skin (tho this may not be seen until she's older), she's a black smoke. They often have "ghost" tabby markings as kittens that disappear when in adult coat. Another possibility is silver mackeral tabby if the tabby markings continue to be more prominent, but she doesn't have the typical tabby markings on her face, so to me she looks more like a black smoke. Very sweet kitty!
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
If you blow into her coat and you see white fur next to her skin (tho this may not be seen until she's older), she's a black smoke. They often have "ghost" tabby markings as kittens that disappear when in adult coat. Another possibility is silver mackeral tabby if the tabby markings continue to be more prominent, but she doesn't have the typical tabby markings on her face, so to me she looks more like a black smoke. Very sweet kitty!
Really??? That's neat! She very well could be black smoke. Her fur is very light close to her skin. Thanks for the knowledge. I had not heard of "black smoke" as a colouring before.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whatever her coloring is called, she's adorable! Very pretty!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Catlover2

Snugasabug, here's a photo of an adult black smoke Maine Coon cat. Since your girl is going to have medium long hair, hey, maybe she's a Maine Coon cat! They are quite a large breed of cat. You don't often see the black smoke colour in DSHs (Domestic Shorthairs) as it's quite a rare colour variation, related to the silver tabby gene.
http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/blac...-coon-cat.html
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind comments on Licorice's colour. I will update pictures as she grows!

Thanks again.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Our friends' kitten started out as a dark grey with almost imperceptible tabby markings. She matured as a black or smoke CAMEO. Cameos have hair that is white or very, very light coloured at the body but tipped with another colour. When you looked at Missy she was black, but when she bent her body to groom her coat separated and you could see the white base. Very striking. Could your cat be turning this way? Very pretty kitty.

http://en.mimi.hu/cat/cameo.html
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Possibly strange questions. Will spaying her change the potential of her colouring?

of course we will have her spayed...but I wondered if we need to leave her as long as possible (7mths?!) before having her spayed. If spaying has nothing to do with her fur colouring, lenght, etc, we will have her spayed at 6mths.

Thanks again!
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

spaying her shouldn't affect coloring and boy is she pretty. i can't wait to post pics of my black cat he's so different now from when he was a baby.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I remember when Vlad and Oksana were kittens, they were lighter than they are now. I thought for a time they'd be like a dark gray, but they are both jet black now.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM

color changing kitten...

I'm glad I found this posting..In July we found a stray kitten someone had dumped in front of our house out in the country and at the time he was a dark brown/black...Now he's started turning grey! His stomach is a complete grayish white and he's started to turn on his sides,back of the head, and tail. I've never seen a cat change like this! What is even weirder is the grey isn't in stripes its solid. He's a character and we love him dearly. Your cat by the way is beautiful!
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm a softy

i see this is an old thread but i just wanted to add that my cat tickels when we first got her as a foster she came with her sister who was a smoke tortie. She was a almost identical to tickles but she had the light undercoat and side by side you could see the difference it was really neat, her name was scoobydoo. And i agree about the cat in the pic being a black smoke. In sunlight u may see tabby type stripes, and her undercoat will be silver and lighter than her top coat.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Gingko was really light colored when I got her:

Her body is quite dark now.

I don't think it's that unusual for animals to change colors as they mature.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Catlover2

With the "Siamese" colouring, it's not unusual, but usual, for the body coat to darken with age. The formation of pigment varies with the temperature; fur on cooler areas of the body, such as the ears and paws, is darker than the fur on warmer areas such as the belly. Siamese kittens are born nearly white, and the points darken as they get older. Siamese in cool environments tend to be darker than those in warm climates. As the cat ages, its pale body color may darken considerably due to poorer circulation.

Gingko is a lovely sweet "tortie point".
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Pictures of my color changing kitten...

I posted above. When we found him (in july) he was black/brown, now he's turning completely grey. Here are some pics of him.
Attached Images

Old September 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,it does not even look like the same kitten,adorable though,no matter what color
My Chico was a dark brown color as a kitten,looked really unusual,but then turned a beautiful shiny black.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Same thing happened to my two black babies. Vlad was a very dark brown, and in the sunlight you could almost see tabby stripes. Oksana was a really dark gray. Now they are both very black.

Old September 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Catlover2

ariatgirl, he still looks like a black smoke to me, that is if his undercoat near the skin is white. "Ghost" tabby markings in black smokes are quite common as kittens and fade out in the adult coat. If body colour is grey to skin he'd still be considered a black. Quite a number of black longhairs are more dark grey especially on body than really black, even among Persian show cats, though the colour standard for black Persians calls for black to the roots. Following pics will illustrate:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pe...title&resnum=4
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM

The fur next to his skin is white. Thank you for your input on him. I've honestly never seen a black cat develop like he has. It'll be fun to see how grey he gets as he matures!
Old December 16th, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariatgirl View Post
I posted above. When we found him (in july) he was black/brown, now he's turning completely grey. Here are some pics of him.
My kitten looks like yours now she is 7 weeks! What would you say she is.
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2018, 10:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's certainly adorable! What a cutie, Mmabryxo!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 14th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Omg.....me too

Oh my God, a few weeks ago my husband found a kitten that had been left in a box behind our apartments. we took her in and she was so young that she had to be bottle fed and stimulated to use the bathroom. She was a beautiful dark dark brown / black but after a couple of weeks she started to get little gray hairs and I thought she was just losing her kitten fur and it was her undercoat that was showing.....nope....she is officially now a full Smokey gray. Absolutely beautiful but the only cats that I have found that look like her are you guys here on this thread all have a very similar story. Must be aliens LOL but seriously does anybody know what kind of cat goes from black to grey?
Attached Images

Old November 14th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Hi chourtnii :

Welcome to the forum.

I saw something on Facebook a few weeks back, and it appears as if it could be the early stages of Vitiligo which is a white patching of the skin. Normally there isn't a problem with it, and it is quite rare. This problem occurs in dogs, cats, and humans. I have included a couple of websites at the bottom of the page to look at,

It might be wise to have it checked out by a vet to see if that's what it is, or if it's something more serious, and maybe do some more research for your own peace of mind.

Please keep us informed I would be very interested to see what is happening as time goes on.

She sure is a nice looking kitten. Thanks for taking her in.

https://kittentoob.com/what-is-vitiligo-in-cats/

https://morbidology.com/the-cat-with-vitiligo/