Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Switched Foods

I was just at global foods and bought a bag of Acana adult food.Jag had an allergy to Orijin.Beening made by the same company i haven't wanted to try Acana.I've been feeding Healthwise by Natura,35 lbs for 44.99 and the Acana was 47.99 for a 29 lbs.i switched do to Acana having better ingredients.also the feeding amount is less.Jag really licking his paws and i believe it's do to the grains as it doesn't matter what meat source it is.

So wish us luck he doesn't have an allergy to the Acana when we start it.as i also got a free 4.4 lb bag of Natures Variety Instinct free and a free bag of Oven Baked treats.Jag did good on the natures variety before but $$ made me stop feeding do to the lower income.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM
-

We have been feeding Acana Provincial grain-free for awhile now.

It certainly sounds like Jag has a grain allergy but I think grain-free is the best way to feed (for those that can't feed raw) even if a dog doesn't have allergies.

I hope Jag does well on the Acana Provincial and, btw, how did you score a free bag of Natures Variety Instinct free and a free bag of Oven Baked treats?
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You can call me DOG!

So which brand of Acana did you purchase Angeldogs? Was it a Provincial blend (Prairie Harvest, Pacifica, Grasslands)?

Not to steal your thread, but I just switched our Gryphon's food too. A friend of mine raved about Natural Balance, L.I.D. formula but hubby almost went through the roof as far as the price

Gryphon's urine is so high in nitrogen that it has killed a huge area of grass. Not only this, disgusting as this may sound, he's also a Poop muncher I've concluded that the snacking is a result that he wasn't digesting his food properly (not enough proteins )and the poops still smelt like food to him

The 47.99 for 30 lbs would make hubby much more happier and fortunately, there is a store nearby that sells the Champion line.

Although, I did buy a bag of the Natural Balance L.I.D. formula and am mixing it with his old brand right now. If I do another switch to Acana after this N.B is gone, will all this food changing create a problem?

Thank you so much for posting this thread Angeldogs

I'm gonna print out the ingredients lists from Champion's site and compare the guaranteed analysis.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
-

KLM - if you are thinking of feeding the Acana Grasslands, I am paying $65.99 (less 10% spca discount that we get). I'm thinking maybe for $47.99 Angeldogs maybe is not feeding grain-free

I switched the guys from one day to the next, no transition......I think I read on here that with grain-free it is ok to do that.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
KLM - if you are thinking of feeding the Acana Grasslands, I am paying $65.99 (less 10% spca discount that we get). I'm thinking maybe for $47.99 Angeldogs maybe is not feeding grain-free

I switched the guys from one day to the next, no transition......I think I read on here that with grain-free it is ok to do that.
Well the Natural Balance L.I.D. was 87.00/30 lbs My concern was mixing in the cheap Techni-Cal that he's been on with the N.B. Limited Ingredient Diet to mixing in a grain free would mess up his insides

Even the Acana Adult Dog forumula appears to have a hight quality guaranteed analysis then the Techni-cal we're trying to switch him off of.

Ho hum....

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Well the Natural Balance L.I.D. was 87.00/30 lbs

Holy croak, that is expensive

My concern was mixing in the cheap Techni-Cal that he's been on with the N.B. Limited Ingredient Diet to mixing in a grain free would mess up his insides

I'm not too sure about mixing them, I think it is preferred that you don't....maybe just finish what you have of the others and then go cold turkey. Rainbow knows about that.

Even the Acana Adult Dog forumula appears to have a hight quality guaranteed analysis then the Techni-cal we're trying to switch him off of.

Ho hum....
It is confusing, I give up trying to understand and just do what I'm told
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

The only says acana adult dog.it's the blue bag 20% steel-cut oats and brown rice.so it's not grain free but has 3 protein sources.free run chicken,pacific salmon and whole eggs.

The other food only had 1 protein source.I would love 2 switch to grain free but not having a job i can't afford the more expensive foods.i'm more concerned about it being made by the same company as Orijin and the sever allergy Jag had from the food.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
We have been feeding Acana Provincial grain-free for awhile now.

It certainly sounds like Jag has a grain allergy but I think grain-free is the best way to feed (for those that can't feed raw) even if a dog doesn't have allergies.

I hope Jag does well on the Acana Provincial and, btw, how did you score a free bag of Natures Variety Instinct free and a free bag of Oven Baked treats?
They had coupons in a flyer i don't seem to get so she had a flyer and used them for me.Feeding raw worked out about the same price or better but Jag stopped digesting and i didn't want to supplement calcium.

He still gets raw a few times a month i buy him whole frozen fish and ground beef when i find it cheap.just like tonight he is having ground beef and i'm trying Ginger with it.she has had some fish.wouldn't eat gizzards so we will see if she eats the ground beef.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
So which brand of Acana did you purchase Angeldogs? Was it a Provincial blend (Prairie Harvest, Pacifica, Grasslands)?

Not to steal your thread, but I just switched our Gryphon's food too. A friend of mine raved about Natural Balance, L.I.D. formula but hubby almost went through the roof as far as the price

Gryphon's urine is so high in nitrogen that it has killed a huge area of grass. Not only this, disgusting as this may sound, he's also a Poop muncher I've concluded that the snacking is a result that he wasn't digesting his food properly (not enough proteins )and the poops still smelt like food to him

The 47.99 for 30 lbs would make hubby much more happier and fortunately, there is a store nearby that sells the Champion line.

Although, I did buy a bag of the Natural Balance L.I.D. formula and am mixing it with his old brand right now. If I do another switch to Acana after this N.B is gone, will all this food changing create a problem?

Thank you so much for posting this thread Angeldogs

I'm gonna print out the ingredients lists from Champion's site and compare the guaranteed analysis.
All the switching will depend on Gryphon's stomach.i don't even really do a switch over with Jag.he is used to getting different foods all the time.You know with kids around.set their plate down to play and with a food hound it will disappear.My 2 get a veriety on a regular basis when i was working.

They always got different kinds of wet food,my left over food that i don't finish.so Jag is used to it,and Ginger does fine with it also.i like by pups to eat good.I also feed raw eggs to help with their skin and coats.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well the only logical thinking I can come up with is that a 30 lb bag (at 2 cups a day) lasts us 3 months.

If you factor in the price of the most expensive blend (like $87.00 worth), that works out to .9666 / day of feeding.

It's cheaper than a Tim Horton's large double-double I've given up on the large double-double

I think I may also check out the Acana, Three Fresh Proteins (the blue bag). I like the fact that this blend also contains pumpkin which is a deterrent for poop munching

Also, the analysis of this is only slightly different to the grain free and it really can't be any worse than the Techni-cal blend he's having right now.

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

They told me this one had very little grain.and 2 to 3.5 cups a day is better then the 5 cups the other recommended.no i didn't feed that much i feed 3 cups.Ginger being a medium size is 1 to 2 and both are for active dogs.

It's much better then techni-cal
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well shame on Techni-Cal

We've used this food for 14 years and never had any problems until the past year. We have experienced 3, 30 lbs bags this last year all containing molded moisture mid way through the bag

To be perfectly honest, I was so afraid to switch the food cause I thought it would play havock on the digestive system but with the mold and health issues, I'm determined to get him off this and onto something better.

He's a little porker so the 2 cups/day keeps him within his suggest weight mass. I just have to now deal with mixing the Techni-Cal with the Natural Balance then slowly introducing something a little more "pocket friendly!"

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; April 19th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

A lot of us no about the more pocket friendly.with the way things are Canada and USA they are still raising the prices on dog food and what ever else they want to raise.
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Doggie Wench

Angeldogs, is there a food that Jag has done very well on without any allergy reactions?

I was also thinking that there may be something else in his environment that's causing him to react as Orijen doesn't have any grains in it?
Oh, and have you adminstered any type of topical heartworm meds recently (such as Revolution or Advantage Multi)?
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Angeldogs, is there a food that Jag has done very well on without any allergy reactions?

I was also thinking that there may be something else in his environment that's causing him to react as Orijen doesn't have any grains in it?
Oh, and have you adminstered any type of topical heartworm meds recently (such as Revolution or Advantage Multi)?
No i tried Orijin last year,came home from work and he was one big hive.his eyes were just about swollen shut gave him some benadryl stopped feeding the Orijin and he was fine.he starts to lick his paws real bad when a grain content is high.licks less when the grains are low and the licking stops when he's on a grain free diet.with not working at the moment i can't afford the grain free food.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Thumbs down About salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
They had coupons in a flyer i don't seem to get so she had a flyer and used them for me.Feeding raw worked out about the same price or better but Jag stopped digesting and i didn't want to supplement calcium.

He still gets raw a few times a month i buy him whole frozen fish and ground beef when i find it cheap.just like tonight he is having ground beef and i'm trying Ginger with it.she has had some fish.wouldn't eat gizzards so we will see if she eats the ground beef.
I 'shudder' everytime I see raw fish mentioned---I feed my 2 dogs a raw food diet too, but will not give them raw fish, esp. raw salmon, even though the cold water salmon is suppose to be okay---The warm water (Pacific ocean salmon) salmon has a parasite that can kill your dog and I think some other raw fish does too---prob. all from the warm oceans. Someone mentioned that there was salmon in the dog food they feed,(and it was from the Pacific ocean), but if this is cooked dog food and not raw--IT would be okay. While I'm at it--may as well mention about raw pork which can have a worm (trichina--a small, slender worm that lives in the intestines and muscles of man and some animals). that can cause trichinosis--a disease due to the presence of trichinae in the intestines and muscular tissues. Somehow this worm can no longer be found in the pork from the U.S.--(Don't understand how this was stopped--but is true! I still would be very cautious about feeding raw pork if you don't know where it is from---I have no idea if other countries have done the same thing to get rid of this problem or not??!!
And getting back to the salmon----Prob. farm-raised raw salmon would be okay but I wouldn't want farm-raised because I have heard they are fed junk and it does not provide much nutrition either (esp. compared to the wild salmon) Kind of makes me think of how chickens are commercially raised--crowded and fed bad stuff--ditto for most cattle also.
if this a little off topic, but I feel it is important to know about, so
just adding myworth. I want all dogs to stay healthy and live a long happy life!
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I feed mackrel or whole portuguese sardines.both are frozen first which help kill any parisites they may have.i have and won't feed raw salmon to my dogs.

Thanks for the info.