Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Just wanted to mention that the chicken Orijen uses is also free range. The turkey would be turkey meal and so I'm not sure from their website whether it is free range however it would be local along with their other ingredients.

I understand your concern for choosing healthy ingredients and environmentally sustainable farming practices. However there is a debate about organic purity and even a larger debate about organic vs local ingredients.

Digestibility should also be a factor. Certain proteins are far more digestible to a dog than others. Not sure what the ingredients are like in the Organix brand or what it's meat to grain ratio is, but it's something to consider as you end up paying more for expensive organic ingredients that basically go right through your dog.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Yeah, I couldn't find information either about Orijen's named meat meals being free range and they didn't email me back when I asked. Also didn't respond to my question whether or not the salmon meal was from farmed salmon. I appreciate to hear though that they use local sources for ingredients. But Organix wrote me back and said that their chicken meat and meal is all free range and that the salmon meal is from wild salmon.

I think Organix also uses mostly local ingredients but am not positive. I'll have to check. The most local producer to me is Go! which offers the grain free kibble and supposedly also uses locally sourced ingredients and the dog food review site gives it 6 stars.

I hear you about the other ingredients. Organic or no I'd be happier if it was totally grain free--even though Organix adult canine forumla uses supposedly the most hypoallergenic grains (brown rice, barley and oatmeal), stated to be "good quality ingredients" on the dog food review site, but they call totally grain free foods like ther Go! "outstanding" and is likely more digestible...? I don't know about the ratio of meat (chicken and salmon) to carbs, only that it is 25% protein...

I also hear you that all organic certifiers aren't the same. Organix adult canine forumla is certified by the Organic Crop Improvement Association (OCIA)which seems pretty legit. They're accredited by the USDA and other agencies worldwide and their website says that thie certified food is "grown without genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and grown and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals, fertilizers, antibiotics, or hormones." To get certified by OCIA the producer needs to go through quite a procedure:
-No chemicals or non-natural fertilizers have been applied to fields, pastures, orchards, or vineyards for three years prior to harvest.
-Operations have been annually inspected by an independent inspector and are subject to unannounced verification inspections at any time.
-Detailed records of each operation’s practices and processes have been kept and submitted to OCIA International for an annual certification review.
-OCIA International is independently accredited to a number of industries and government bodies in the United States and internationally.

Last edited by Blab; February 13th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM

It's hard enough these days to feed ourselves let alone our pets isn't it!

I carry around a seafood quide in my wallet but still find it confusing as things are never labeled properly - even harder when you are buying pet food.

Organix sounds like it has good quality ingredients. I'll have to look - they must have a website?

I don't know if all grain-free foods would be more digestible. I should clarify my statements above because it sounds like I am promoting grain-free only - which I do feed, but I also supplement with fresh foods - and I do give my dogs grains. You'd have to compare the type of ingredients, their quality and the way the food is processed - low heat vs high heat for example.

Fresh meat will be more digestible then meat meal because the meal will be processed and cooked one more step in the process of making a dry dog food therefore reducing its digestibility (what happens when you cook a steak rare vs well-done - you will be able to digest the rare steak much more easily). But, you have to add meat meals to up the protein.

Same with grains - I think white rice is more digestible than brown rice but you get some extra nutrition from the brown rice. It all depends on what you want.

I have one dog with anal gland issues and insoluble fiber does wonders for her! I believe I also read something about oatmeal and how it helps to maintain blood glucose levels. So, grains aren't so bad, so long as they don't go overboard.

As for the meat:grain ratio, I personally like a meatier food. You'd have to calculate that or ask the manufacturer. If a food lists one meat followed by 3 grains, you can be certain that the grains far outweigh the meat, especially if the meat is fresh because it's weight will go down after processing removes the water.

Every one has a different opinion, so my advice would be to pick a food you are comfortable with based on the ingredients.

You can always add some fresh food of your own to compensate where you feel the food is lacking.
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM

It certainly is hard and time consuming to figure out food at all! I sure wish we labled our food better (GMOs etc). Good for you for trying on the seafood--we are certainly doing our best to kill our wild fishery on the West coast too.

Yeah, supplementing sounds like a good way to go. And glad to hear that about outmeal and fiber. I've just started supplementing a little but if I go Organix I'll likely up the eggs to give some good, fresh protein. I'm trying to give her good quality dog food because we just got her 3 weeks ago and she's only just over a year old and already had puppies, was eating dog chow when i picked her up (and no idea before that). Then noticed she was also just coming into heat and had some itching and foot chewing which can mean food allergies. So I've been trying to do my homework on food (this forum is great ), and my wife and i have been working on her comfort level as she is also pretty shy and scared. She's already coming around amazingly, but also still scratching/chewing a little.

The SPCA vet yesterday suggested to put her on Natual Balance hypoallergenic food for 3 months with no human food at all, but said it also could be allergies to what she was eating when we got her, or not allergies at all. So I think I'm going to hold off and see if she improves with a simple, good quality kibble and basic food first.

Oh and Organix is made by Castor & Pollux and the website is here.

Last edited by Blab; February 13th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Yes, like you said, it could take some time for allergies from the old food to get out of her system. Possibly her immune system is down as well not knowing exactly what she has been through.

Your plan to try good quality kibble and basic foods sounds like a good idea. You can always experiment with grain-free vs. chicken vs fish to try and pinpoint the problem.

One of my dogs has allergies but they seem to be seasonal. Once the pollen starts flying she chews at her feet but in the winter she's fine. I have also found that the allergies have lessened to some degree since changing her diet and perhaps boosting her immunity so a better quality food does help in many ways.

I think the Organix looks fine. Don't think you can go wrong feeding a good quality food and adding some fresh foods of your choosing!

I have two humane society specials myself - one with some separation anxiety (still at age 10) but she has really improved. It sound like you are well on your way to providing a secure and healthy home for her so I'm sure with time she will continue to adjust.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM

Just realized I forgot to respond to this! But it gives me an excuse to do an update

First thanks for the kind words on the separation anxiety and thanks for sharing your experience. After about 6 weeks Georgie is really relaxing, sometimes will even choose to go into the living room to sleep on the couch now and she is less frightened when she meets people, especially kids.

I'm still debating between local or organic but Georgie seems like she's already chosen for me. Go! is made locally and there was a 40% off sale on the Grain Free and I couldn't resist trying a small bag--and she loves it. No transition problems at all, and gone is the absolute killer fish breath she got from Orijen fish . And best yet she seems to have finally slowed on the allergy symptoms of scratching and chewing feet but that could be more related to the switch off dog chow and who knows what all 1.5 months ago.

Last edited by Blab; March 4th, 2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM

so how about Blue Buffalo?

It was on their approved list but isn't now....
I'm so stuck on what to do for my puppy. I think Canidae will be my next trial. It WASNT recommended for my large breed puppy by the pet food store woman though. odd. ? Input?
We were on blue buffalo but he got diarrhea and now he's on performatrin ultra. We can't get a lot of these foods here in Canada though, esp coz i'm in a small town in Muskoka, Ontario