Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Im sorry little Hare

I had a terrible driving accident today

A Hare ran out in front of me while i was driving and i killed it. It happened so fast, i couldnt avoid it without putting keelys, my moms, and my life in danger. My mom told me i did the right thing by just, letting it happen. But i dont know. I had to pull over and cry and cry. mom had to drive from then on. i honestly do not want to get behind the wheel again.

We didnt have anything to clean him/her up with, so i had to leave it there:sad:

I feel terrible..

R.I.P Little guy/girl... I wish I could have avoided you..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

That's terrible. I almost ran over a squirrel once, well I actually did run over it's tail. I felt horrible about it, still do. Poor little guy. You didn't do it on purpose.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM

You did the right thing. Yes of course it is sad about the Hare, but your life, your moms and keelys is your first responsibility and in this situation you had to make a decision and you made the right one, you protected those closest to you.

You should congratulate yourself by being able to control yourself to make the right decision. Honestly, i probably would have panicked and dont know what i would have done... you should be proud of yourself.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

It was not your fault and I have to say a BIG THANK YOU for stopping. The majority of people do not, very rarely do for wildlife. It's sad and such disrespect. Some don't even stop for domestics. Just a few nights ago, I had a cat hit by car. Was still alive when I got there and I transported to our Emerg clinic. This was at around 9 at night.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.. I still feel horrible. And havent drove yet I cant imagine, what i would have done if it were a dog, or cat. Although taking ANY life is terrible. Im not sure how I would deal with killing somebodies domestic animal:sad:

ACO22- I always stop for dead animals. Even though this is the first one ive hit myself:sad: Me and my dad were driving behind somebody who hit a hare.They didnt even stop. We did, and went we went back the poor thing was trying to lift its head... My dad had to, "Put it out of its misery" I felt terrible. And Me and my family will ALWAYS stop when we see ANY animal that has been hit and make sure its not suffering (to the best of our abbilities)..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old June 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have called animal control and they could have come and pick it up. How did your dad put him out of his misery? I am sure he did the the most humane way, but I think the most humane is injecting a sedation and then the soloution.

Kudos for stopping for the hare.

ACO22
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
You can call me DOG!

I know your pain Babymomma..a big Jack Rabbit ran into my car last evening!

I was picking my daughter up and also had Gryphon in the back. We were driving down a back road and he just darted right out in front!

I screamed "OH NO" and my daughter let out a huge shreek and I slammed on the brakes! He went right under the car and we heard the clunk. I stopped the car, got out and walked back to the other side of the road.

Little Hare kept running into the woods on the other side and I watched him carry on.

It was just an aweful thing to do, see and hear and I truly hope that this little Jack Bunnie is o.k.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
I know your pain Babymomma..a big Jack Rabbit ran into my car last evening!

Sorry, but I have to comment on the above. It is ok to acknowledge that you accentately hit an animal. Sometimes as awful as it sounds, it is the only thing you can do, without killing yourself, other people in the car or someone else on the road.

It just sounds like, I was driving and this rabbit just ran right into my car, I didn't hit it. It just ran into it.

Thank you for stopping though. I can't say that enough when people do.

It's refreshing.

ACO22
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Sorry, but I have to comment on the above. It is ok to acknowledge that you accentately hit an animal. Sometimes as awful as it sounds, it is the only thing you can do, without killing yourself, other people in the car or someone else on the road.

It just sounds like, I was driving and this rabbit just ran right into my car, I didn't hit it. It just ran into it.

Thank you for stopping though. I can't say that enough when people do.

It's refreshing.

ACO22
Thanks ACO22 for your post and I was happy to see the big guy hopping into the thick of the woods on the other side.

If I would have said that I hit the rabbit, then it would sound like I drove into the little guys path on purpose and that's not what happened.

Both my daughter and I were terribly upset and Gryphon stuck his nose up on the rear window while looking back at us walking along side the road.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
If I would have said that I hit the rabbit, then it would sound like I drove into the little guys path on purpose and that's not what happened.
No it wouldn't. Or at least I don't think so. Animal dart in the road so fast sometimes it is impossible not to hit them.

Purposely trying to hit an animal is disrespect, cruel and aragrant. I am sure you didn't purposely run it over. And sadly I deal with this on a daily basis.

Good to hear that the rabbit was ok. and again thanks for stopping.

ACO22
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thanks ACO22 -- I appreciate your post.

On another note--how are you holding up Babymomma? Are you driving yet?

Did you see Chase_mom's thread about the REALLY big bunny rabbit? He is so huge!

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
I would have called animal control and they could have come and pick it up. How did your dad put him out of his misery? I am sure he did the the most humane way, but I think the most humane is injecting a sedation and then the soloution.

Kudos for stopping for the hare.

ACO22
Dont ask me how he killed it. I would prefer not to know:sad:. I closed my eyes and Covered my ears and i was in the car. But i can guess how he did it. Not exactly something i would like to get into..We dont have AC in my area. And killing him at the scene of the accident was alot better then driving an hour to the vet to get him euthed. As he would have had an extra hour of suffering.. highway patrol "deals" with dead animals (They leave small aniamls, including dogs and cats and bunnies) on the road to be eaten. The only animals they move are moose. And they take those in to be used for moose burgurs that local buisnesses sell (I know, its terrible) Quite frankly, if you dont like seeing a dead cat, dog, bunny on the road, its up to you to get rid of it if you dont like seeing it..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG KLM! Im so sorry yuou had to go thru that too, And the bunny of course! I just hope hes not out there suffering

I havent drove yet. i cant bring myself to do it.

My mom thinks im just a big wuss, and keeps telling me it isnt THAT big of deal. but it IS that big of deal to me:sad: Its bad enough to hit a wild animal, but if i were to hit somebodies pet, im not sure how i would live with myself..

Bunny 1

for bunny 2 (KLM's bunny)
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.