Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM

Question cat bites as "too early" AM wake up

My 10 mos. old cat bites me to wake me at his percieved time to get up in the AM. On my days off, this is too early & I can't stop him. His first is gentle, then harder, then he bites harder-makes a bruise on my arm or shoulder.
I've said "no" repeatedly,used water spray, considered bursting a balloon. However I like him on the bed, just not the wake up calls. Help!
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Shut him out of your bedroom if you're not prepared to play at all hours He will complain, of course, but better than a bite. Ow! Time-outs work quite well for some cats. You bite, you cool your heels in another room until I remember you're there, which may be quite a spell, given my memory these days. My cats wake me up for food, sit on me, chew my hair, miow piteously, etc. If yours doesn't get fed until you get up, leave out a bowl of food overnight, he may just be hungry.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

my kitten does this too. what i started doing is making sure he has enough food (so he doesnt wake me up cause hes hungry) and then in the morning when he wakes me up i gently pick him up and put him out the room and close the door. (i have only done this once or twice actually). it seems to work. he goes off and plays on his own till i get up. that way he sleeps with me all night but doesnt get to set wake up time for me.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

As soon as my cat hears the alarm go off he knocks at the door, knock knock knock!!! Guess who? Then he swings from the door knob, and cuz he has lots of extra toes he can open the door by swinging on the knob and pushing ont he door frame with his back feet. Now that we have the dog, he just knocks, doesn't come in.

He does this to the washroom door too, you should see when we have company over and the cat opened the door, our close frineds know to lock it..cuz the door isn't near the toilet!!! LOL!!! SURPRISE!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL dat's one smart cat!
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM

Smile Thank You All!

I appreciate all your helps & am using several of the suggestions. We'll see how "Hairy" reacts in the AM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
As soon as my cat hears the alarm go off he knocks at the door, knock knock knock!!! Guess who? Then he swings from the door knob, and cuz he has lots of extra toes he can open the door by swinging on the knob and pushing ont he door frame with his back feet. Now that we have the dog, he just knocks, doesn't come in.

He does this to the washroom door too, you should see when we have company over and the cat opened the door, our close frineds know to lock it..cuz the door isn't near the toilet!!! LOL!!! SURPRISE!
LOL and I thought I was the only one who's cat pawed at the doors....

As to the OP's question....I haven't much to add....Usually I have to deal with cats flying and jumping over the bed with me and the boyfriend in it in the mornings.

LOL

Megan
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
-

Lornabee, as mentioned, it's usually because they are hungry so leave a little kibble out for him to snack on.

Ford Girl, that's one crazy cat you got there and we'd love to see a picture of his door opening antics.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Cat's don't know that it's your day off or a work day.

Leave some food out and he may leave you alone unless he's used to you playing with him as soon as you get up too. You could close you're bedroom door, but if he really wants to wake you up, he'll find a way.

Cindy
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM

Smile Lornabee

You are soo right that cats find a way to get what they want. I love them for it, so now I'm feeding, clean litter box, leaving his toys in front of the bedroom door & ready to put Hairy out in AM & shut the door. Lastly I'll do the bitter grn ap. spray, & then his big kennel.
It's great to share with so many cat lovers.