Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Crusader

Gudday Mate!

Move over Mel lol

i'd like to say Thanks from Canada to Steve & Terri Irwin..

Crocodile Hunter - Risk-taking Australian wildlife expert seen on the syndicated nature series CROCODILE HUNTER (1996), THE TEN DEADLIEST SNAKES IN THE WORLD (1998) and CROC FILES a.k.a. "The Crocodile Hunter's Croc Files" (1999).

Born February 22nd, 1962 in Victoria's Dandenong Ranges, Queensland, Australia, Steve Irwin spends his life rescuing and relocating endangered animals. He loves to jump on top of them and wrestle them into submission with the aide of ropes and a good grip. Steve got his inspiration for working with animals as a child at the Queensland Reptile and Fauna Park at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast (once owned by his parents Lyn Irwin, a nurse and wildlife rehabilitator and Bob Irwin, a plumber turned herpetologist).

Steve later expanded his parent's property and renamed it The Australia Zoo which has become a thriving international tourist attraction and "the home of the Crocodile Hunter." A herpetologist by trade, Steve likes to wear khaki shorts and boots. When he comes upon snakes or crocodiles, Steve stands frozen into his famous "action crouch" and shouts the catchphrase "Crikey!" The success of Steve and his wife, Terri (Steve's co-host on the "Crocodile Hunter" TV show) spawned a line of action figures, a Steve Irwin doll that cries, "Danger! Danger! Danger!", and a line of surf-wear called 'Steve Lives Surfwear' ("Lives" because Steve takes so many chances with wild animals, many people believe he had been killed by now, but he's still alive and kicking).

In 2002 Steve and his wife, Terri starred in the theatrical release The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course. Steve Irwin has also appeared in Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001) and its sequel, as well as in wildlife documentaries for cable's Animal Planet, in a Federal Express commercial and as a parody of himself named Irwin on the cartoon series SOUTH PARK (episode No. 31. Prehistoric Ice Man) who says things like, "I'm going to sneak up on that croc and jam my thumb in its butthole!". Steve's wife, Terri (née Baines) Irwin first met Steve while on a trip to Australia in 1991 as Steve was doing a demonstration at Australia Zoo.

It was love at first sight. Steve and Terri got engaged four months later and married on the 4th June 1992. Their daughter Bindi Sue Irwin was born July 24, 1998. She was named after a crocodile named Bindi and Steve's favorite croc hunting dog, Sui. Terri, a.k.a. the Crocodile Huntress, was born in Eugene, Oregon. In 1986 she started a rehab facility called Cougar Country to re-educate and release predatory mammals such as fox, possum, raccoon, bears, bob-cats, and cougars back into the wild. When not hunting crocodiles and other critters, Steve and Terri run the Australia Zoo and continue to rescue many species of animals, including; amphibians, birds, mammals, and reptiles. Reportedly, everything, that Steve Irwin earns is reinvested into conservation causes.
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

hey i was gunna do that

hey you beat me, i couldnt fit them in my last thanks post.
the Urwin family have been a saving grace for many years in australia. steves wonderful father first began this work many years ago, steve has learnt all his moral and love of animal from his dear farther who with his wife raised a top bloke, his father is someone i would say was one of the founders of modern day australian conservation.
he was a man who laid the foundation for what was to become a very successful conservation project that is stronger and bigger than ever before. not only have they saved many species esp reptile, but they have raised awareness and understanding of many species including the croc, which was once considered nothing but a problem to be shot or made into shoes.
their desires to include conservation with tourism and environmental education has had such success and is part of a new begining for tourism development in australia, the continuaiton of their wonderful work will not only raise awareness but go a long way to establishing a 'sustainable' (for want of better word) future for tourism, the conservation of australia and its inhabitants.

australias environment is a huge mess totally stuffed, in the past 200yrs since white invasion we have lost over 1000 known animal species and gosh knows how many unknown speices of animal, insect, reptile, bird etc.and plant, and getting worse daily, with the efforts of these amazing ppl who knows, maybe all is not lost. there is hope on the horizon of my heart. australia may just be savable due to the efforts of these ppl and many more unamed hardworking conservationists.

thank you terri and steve and the Urwin family past and present