Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Poop Everywhere

Literally.

I spent a good amount of time yesterday cleaning the tiles, the bar counter, the walls (????), the ping pong table (??!!) the litterboxes and of course the furry butts (now that was fun).

I shudder to think where else poop could be. I thought Bunduk was the one 'suffering' as his butt had the clear umm remnants, but Onnie used the litterbox in front of me and unfortunately he has the runs too now!

Gah. Bunduk has a follow up with the vet today (conjuntiva), the vet knows about the diarrhea he had and we figured its from the antibiotics. Ive been giving them both (because I cant not give anything edible to Onnie ) purina probiotics from the vet. I guess it's not working The antibiotics last dose was Sunday.

Either they are both sick, Onnie having caught something from Bunduk , somethings up with their bag of food (fromms) or their canned food (wellness) ???, orrr the only other culprit I can think of is deli turkey. I noticed Bunduk has been quite eager to get *in* the fridge, never used to want to do that, mom kindly explained he prolly just wants some turkey cuz anytime she makes a sandwhich she gives both cats some .

What do you think the best approach is? I am taking bunduk to the vet of course and will ask her but I really just dont wanna give them any more meds for now. Honestly Bunduk needs a break and he was just on antibiotics! Could the turkey be doing it??? Should I change the food in case? Or should I just load them up with baby squasH?

Thanks guys.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM

I know nothing about kitties... but was the purina product fortiflora? Tommy got the runs from that... I have him on human probiotics instead.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
-

Sorry about the poop everywhere onster , I know how not fun that is !

IMO , it's not the turkey your mom is giving them , unless she gives them too much.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
One dog at a time...

Pumpkin and cheese are good for binding the bowels and yogurt is good to use for probiotics. Get the plain pumpkin where the only ingredient is pumpkin and make sure the yogurt has active culture. Good luck!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Tommysmom, yes its fortiflora, i used to give it to bunduk before when he was a kitten and it worked fine. Interesting that it gives Tommy the runs because Onnie only started getting the runs when I started giving it to them....maybe now they've developed intolerance to it

Frenchy Oh its not fun at all! I'm sure many here share my pain. I have given like 4 buttbaths since ive back from egypt and really its not so easy with a cat I just don't get how it goes on the walls though and pretty high up too

Mylodigirl, thanks for the suggestion but whenever I see pumpkin here its suggested for dogs, is it ok for cats too?

Anyway I just came back from the vet, she gave me antibiotics again. Thank God, bunduk's eyes are ok now. But she said she still hears gurgling in his throat, he's still sick The antibiotics she gave me are only 2 doses though and she said its a special kind that stops diarrhea, she also gave me 2 doses for Onnie, complimentary. Very nice of her .

Bunduk was a bad boy didn't want to get in the carrier , i had to give up and take him without! but he was such a good good boy at the vet, even gave her kisses Everyone kept complimenting me on him, saying he is so beautiful (even the vet had a bad day and she said it's all worth it when he kissed her) ...little do they know

Here's hoping my little rascal feels better very soon

Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Just make sure it's the pure pumpkin and not the pie filling.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for a quick recovery from whatever he's ailing with, onster! Poor Bunduk!!!

Pumpkin goes bad quickly, but if you freeze it into pumpkin cubes in an ice cube tray, you can take out just one cube at a time to thaw for use. You won't use up much each day and freezing it in portions will minimize spoilage. I think growler uses some sort of squash baby food (butternut squash, maybe, with no added salt) for Duffy--she prefers the taste of it (Duffy does, not necessarily growler ).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
-

Poor Bunduk and Onnie.

Yep, it's butternut squash that Growler uses for Duffy.

Did the vet say what the cause of the diarrhea might be? Glad that Bunduk's eyes are okay now. And, what a little he was at the vet for you. I hope him and Onnie start feeling better soon.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM
One dog at a time...

Here's an article I found concerning pumpkin for diarrhea for cats and dogs.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...on.html?cat=53

I hope your baby is doing better! Poor fella.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry your kitties have been sick.I hope they will be feeling better soon.

I give all 4 of my cats probiotics that I get from the health food store and just open the capsule and sprinkle it on their food.

I also give them pumpkin and I scoop out the amount I want to give them each time onto a cookie sheet and freeze it, then put all the frozen bits in a baggie. I found a can of it in the grocery store than wass straight pumpkin no spices.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor babies. They sure have had a rough time of it lately. I am beginning to think they don't like you being gone.
You can use pumpkin, baby squash, or slippery elm for the runs. Slippery elm can be bought at a good health food store or a good drug store. I found mine at a Dell Pharmacy. If your kitties don't like plain yogurt you can also use Acidophilus powder to put everything back to normal in their bellies. They only need a very small amount amount mixed in with a bit of food.
Isn't it amazing how high up kitties can shoot the poop?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Onster, when Jasper gets the super runs, I find that sprinkling some Slippery Elm Bark on his food works great. It coats the digestive tract. I just open a capsule and sprinkle about 1/4 of it on his canned food. I do add a bit of water because I think it can hinder the absorbtion of water.

I vote for the deli turkey. IMO, it has too many chemicals in it that cats (and humans) can't tolerate.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Pure pumpkin/squash has been working wonders for my girl . It has been keeping her regular, and puts less strain on her backside, when it's poopy time -

I am looking into adding nutritional supplements to her food. Probiotic capsules have been mentioned here, but I am wondering if there is a specific kind or name of probiotic I should be looking for...

My dog is a senior.

Any suggestions?
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend2animals View Post
Pure pumpkin/squash has been working wonders for my girl . It has been keeping her regular, and puts less strain on her backside, when it's poopy time -

I am looking into adding nutritional supplements to her food. Probiotic capsules have been mentioned here, but I am wondering if there is a specific kind or name of probiotic I should be looking for...

My dog is a senior.

Any suggestions?
I use natural factors mega acidophilus with FOS.it's a powder not capules.each 1/4 teaspon contains 6 billion active cells and needs to be refridgerated.I got mine at Nutrition House for 15.99 plus taxes for 75 grams.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for you(cleaning poop)and for Bunduk and Onnie..
I agree with using Slipper Elm Bark,my cats do not detect it in the food,since you need very little.
The Pumpkin,my cats,especially Rocky,would not touch.
We all know how sensitive cats smell is..
For the little darlings
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks, angledogs. I will keep a lookout for this probiotic.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Thanks, angledogs. I will keep a lookout for this probiotic.
your welcome.
Jag does good on this one and so did ginger when she first came to us.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM

This might possibly be a very dumb question, but, would I find this probiotic at a regular drugstore? ie: Shoppers Drug Mart. Or, does it absolutely have to be from a Health Food Store?
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
This might possibly be a very dumb question, but, would I find this probiotic at a regular drugstore? ie: Shoppers Drug Mart. Or, does it absolutely have to be from a Health Food Store?
You can get different brands of probotics.some need to be refridgerated which is the better one or ones that don't.i found my local zehers more pricey then what i have and less active cells.I found them in the health section.
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:40 PM
~Cat Servent~

Poop poop poop.... yep I can sympathize, I think there was something going on with the Wellness turkey last batch we had here...all of a sudden three or four of them were having very loose poops and Windy, Buddy and Fagan had to have butt baths...real fun! Hopefully whatever it is just passes like it did here. It lasted about a week and now we're back to normal.

(and I'm not sure if it was my crappy sinuses and sense of smell but I swear the turkey wellness had an almost maple scent to it?)

And at the poop on the wall.... I thought only my guys were crafty like that!! I still have no idea how they manage to get it so far up the wall, all I can think of is maybe they are flinging it off their feet or something.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Bunduk and Onnie feel better soon.
And hoping you dont have to wipe poopy butts for much longer.
And i agree, i think a kiss from Bunduk would make my day too.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry your boys aren't feeling well. Sheesh, I complain about pee on the wall.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I just wanted to leave a quick reply now, as I'm feeling sick but I really appreciate all your help and concern.

The diarrhea seems to be under control now but I'm not sure what the case will be tomorrow. The vet said it will treat the diarrhea but not the cause so if the cause is still there they might still have it tomorrow as the meds are finished. She was hoping that whatever it was that was ailing them (she said maybe kitty flu) will have passed by tomorrow anyway.

Onnie seems fine now, Bunduk..his chest is rattly. WHen he purrs you can hear there is congestion still I can hear him snoring/wheezing now as he's having a kitty nap next to me...*sigh* I guess it's one of those things we'll just have to give it time and TLC

I'll be replying to posts individually but I have to go now, have the flu myself

Thanks again all

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Maybe you and Bunduk are sharing a case of H1N1, onster! I hope you're both feeling better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
I got mine at Dell Pharmacy. It's a little better than Shoppers as it seems to carry more stuff. Shoppers didn't have any of the probiotics.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:31 AM
-

Onster, glad that Onnie is fine now.

Sorry to hear that you are now sick .....I hope you and Bunduk are both better soon.
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I know this is really really late but I just wanted to update, were all better now, thank you!

The antibiotics didn't really work to stop the loose stools but in the end the baby food squash did