Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
<-----nut ball

Finally found Muttluks

I got a pair of muttluks this weekend for $10 off. I figured it was a good price, so why not check them out. Problem is, I can't get Odin to wear them.

I got them all on him once, and he proceeded to bite them off before we even got out of the elevator (less than 3 minutes!!)

Any ideas? I tried giving him tons of treats to distract him and praised him with them on but no luck. He really needs them because he is stopping walking about half way on each walk and lifting up his feet because they hurth or he is cold.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It is the salt on the sidewalks it burns there feet. If the muttluck are a no go try putting KY jelly on his paws before you go out and wipe them off just before you enter your place. KY is water soluble so it just wipes off vaseline works but does not come off there paws easily and gets tracked through your place. The Ky you can just throw in your pocket if you need more throughout your walk or your dog could train you as Buddy has when he stops and lifts a paw that is my cue to clean it off and make it all better.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Odin has to break in his boots, just like you would break in new shoes.

Put them on him for 5 minutes (or less in the beginning) when he is NOT going out side. It takes a bit of practice to get the straps just tight enough without being too tight. Start with just his front feet, don't put all 4 on him at once. If you put them on when he is not excited about going outside, it will be easier to get them on him. Since you are not going out at that point, he can be distracted easier with treats and toys. You may have to do the straps up loosely at the beginning until he gets used to them.

Muttluks fit best when toenails are trimmed properly too.

Just some suggestions. In hindsight, it is better to take the dog to the pet store and make sure he accepts the boots before you leave with them, but you can still get him to accept the boots, if not love them.

Good luck
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Performance Spaniels

I put all 4 boots on my pup, sprayed them with bitter apple, and put peanut butter on a long plastic cooking spoon. We walked around the living room for 20 minutes, and I turned it into a loose leash walking training session. She walked really funny, but we kept that up every few days for a few weeks to get her used to them. When you move outside with them you need to keep them out of snowbanks I found. No matter how well fitting the boots were if she jumped through snowbanks because she was excited by the snow the boots got weighed down and would work themselves off.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:03 AM

With Sheriff, we put one on him, then both back paws, and would slowly get him used to it. Take him outside. He soon noticed his back paws were comfy, while his front ones were cold. Try putting them on him after the elevator..... just before going outside. Then he'll be outside in the snow (and if he is anything like Sheriff) the snow, and playing, and being outside will distract him!! LOL
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
<-----nut ball

That sounds like an idea. It will be hard to get them on him in our lobby though, because he is always so eager to get outside asap!!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Bear ate his. Within 5 minutes. I could just hear him saying, "dog this big ain't wearing THOSE".

Now we just wash his feets when he gets in.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM

we put theirs on before we leave the house. We got them used to their booties by letting them wear it indoors the first few days..
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Shih Tzu Owner

It only took 3 months for ariel to destroy her muttluks! One has a hole right through it and the rest are almost there. I had to cut up an old bag to patch the hole. We walk her 3-4 times a day and she's had them on daily all winter. I thought they were supposed to last through anything! Oh yeah, you have to really tighten them so it doesn't come off in the snowbanks. For some reason Ariel likes to immediately run for the snowbanks and hop.