Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM

a question or two..

hi all,

i want to show my appreciation for this board and the wonderful tips i have found here. about a week ago my dog's ears were inflammed and red hot. he would scratch them so hard that he'd start crying and they bled. I would have to step in order for the whininh to stop! Before going to the vet i did a search here and came upon the blue power ear treatment. I gave it a try, and within 3 days inflammed red became light pink. Its a week later and they are pretty much back to normal.

I also switched his food from the crappy pedigree stuff to the Nutro brand. I followed advice i found here; to slowly introduce the new brand over a period of 2 weeks. However i went cold turkey when i realized that for two days, he would eat the nutro bits and leave the pedigree bits untouched.

anyway now that that's done, i have some questions:

1- sometimes when i sit at the dinner table to eat, he comes right up to me and stares. I know i shouldn't feed him until im done eating, and to not feed him at the dinner table...but he barks and i tell him to be quiet. so he just sits there, watching that juicy bit of meat, and drooling. its funny actually because you can see how badly he wants the food. Eventually i give in either because 1)i feel bad for making him just watch or 2) he will drown in a pool of his own drool if he doesnt get any food.

my question is: what can i do about this (the drooling until he gets the food)?

2- when he wakes up in the morning, more often that not he has some eye boggers, well, in his eyes. I wipe them and go on with my day.

my question is: whats the deal with the eye boggers? anything i should be concerned about?

thank you for reading
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
my question is: what can i do about this (the drooling until he gets the food)?
He's drooling because he knows he's going to get something from you. He's begging at the table because he knows it'll work in his favor. That said, train him to sit in another area away from the table. If you insist on giving him a taste of your supper, wait until you're done eating, and show him to his bowl, where the bite will be placed. Don't feed him from the table. You're only creating your own monster. If he won't leave the table area, crate/kennel him until you're done eating. Eventually he'll learn that if he doesn't go away when you ask him, boom - in the kennel he goes. He'll get the jist of it.

Quote:
my question is: whats the deal with the eye boggers? anything i should be concerned about?
If they're normal color, and not green or excessive, then I don't think I'd give it too much thought. His "eye boogers" are kind of like the "sleep" we get in our eyes. Unless it seems to bother him, keep using a soft cloth/tissue to clean his eyes.

Thank you for the kind words you've posted here. I agree with you 10000%. The members here are exceptional. It's my priviledge to work these boards for the members here, you included!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the kind words! So glad we could help your dog be healthier and happier.

Follow Trinitie's advice about the begging. That's what I do and my dog never begs at the table cause she knows there is no way she is getting anything. I put some tidbits into her bowl after I eat.
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh yes, stop the begging!!! My boy used to be perfect , until he started hanging out at Grandma's house too much . They fed him scraps and allowed him to sit at the table(on the floor!). You may not mind it yourself so much, but it's totally embarassing when you have guests over! When Copper is tired, he will actually fall asleep watching us eat while in the sitting position!!!
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM

ok, will do!

thanks
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Coppers Mom that is how Meater and Chino were. They use to be so good but now since grandpa has been there alot they are awful! Finally I had to say something!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:09 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
Coppers Mom that is how Meater and Chino were. They use to be so good but now since grandpa has been there alot they are awful! Finally I had to say something!
Oh trust me I've said my peice many, many times!!! They think I'm mean because I don't want him to have scraps. "How can you ignore that cute little face staring at you" they say! My 91 yeard old grandmother always does it no matter what!! She tries to give him pork chop bones !! She's been told many times before NOT to - even by my mom! She forgets they are bad for dogs. But still, if he didn't get scraps at all, we wouldn't have to worry about incidents like this!! Luckily, we can take food out of his mouth without a problem!!
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Another thing would be if you feed your dog at certain times put down his bowl at the same time you sit down to eat. Or give him some treats first in his bowl and then sit down to eat.

eye boogers are safe and harmless. i wipe pones away everyday....
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Kitty Consort

Yes, the begging is an insidious habit that left unchecked can become a real nuisance of bad behaviour.
Our small dog used to stay beside the table while we were eating..He doesnt drool, but used to sit quietly staring... hoping for a "treat".
We would give him the odd little taste here and there. Worked like a charm for him. Soon he didnt want to be "wait" to be noticed, decided to get our attention through sharp demanding barks.
He was screaming at us - feed him!
We had really created a spoiled little monster.

Okey dokey. Time to reverse this - and "right" now!
He' s no longer permitted to be in the area while we are eating - off limits.
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den's "grandma" doesn't feed Den-Den or Corky at the table when we're all eating together. But, Corky will start demanding and I'll say to grandma, "He's telling on you!" Den-Den will go into the living room because he knows he looks good by comparison. He just loves to be told he was a good boy!
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Glass table

Try having a rottie stare at you through a glass table while you are eating! I have to admit I'm one of those people who give my babies scraps, sometimes from the table but most of the time in their own bowl. Guilty, Guilty, Guilty!
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Owned by goldens

Just a little comment about the Nutro dog food. My dogs were extremely hungry when I fed them Nutro, natural choice. They would vomit everyday a yellow bile. Perhaps this is why your dog has begun begging, because he is hungry. You have encouraged the habit further by feeding him from the table
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Anyone else Feeding NUTRO?

I just wondered if anyone else feeds Nutro?
My dogs will not eat anything but Nutro Large Breed formula, and they don`t beg for food or ever throw up. Mind you they also will only eat the lamb and rice formula, tried the chicken and rice and they HATED it.
Our vet says the dogs are in excellent shape, and not to let them get "fat" as they have the correct amount of body fat, muscle tone right now.
The only thing I find with my dogs and it wouldn`t matter what brand I fed them, is that I have to be sure to not let them eat too fast as they will get bloat and I do not want that for them.
Zarr was raised on Nutro food, and Angel loves it. Since this breed has sensitive stomachs at the best of time, I thought finding them a dog food that they liked and that was good for them and easy on their stomachs would be tough. I read the ingredients on the Nutro bag and was happy with the content, our vet says to keep feeding them what I have been feeding them because they are in really great shape.
Just wondering if anyone else had any problems with NUTRO food?

As for the table scraps, any that my dogs get ( on a very rare occasion) go into their dishes. They do not even know that they came from the supper table. Try to discourage your dog from begging at the table, because as it was said earlier, you may not have a problem with it but your guests might be very offended. ( Not everyone likes drool LOL Ask me, most people think my dogs are gross when they are drool monsters.)
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I recently switched to Nutro and my dogs love it! Our older dog has been doing well on Kibbles and Chunks for many years, but last month our grocery stopped carrying it, so I was searching for a good senior formula. Our pup came from the shelter with a free bag of Science Diet, but I wasn`t happy with the quality or the cost. They are both on different Nutro formulas right now and both are eating well. The pup loves it so much she has to play with the bags until I get them out to the trash.